Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
Only a little off topic: My biggest YT was something like 30#, maybe 35#. I was told that big YT just don't taste very good and that for the table it's best to keep those under about 20#. Can anyone verify this notion? Thanks.
Never caught an 80 pounder but I know the 40's taste fine. My wife knows when I get one over 50 it'll be on the wall.

Upvote 0

Rex1978

Nov 4, 2010
Novato, CA
Name
Rex
Boat
Hopefully one day
If I remember correctly, she was fishing a sliding sinker flylined bait. We were using mackerel that we caught on the nights before for the yellowtail a lot, but the sardine was working well too.
Her trip was amazing & she was a great fisherwoman

Reactions: Squid Sammich
Upvote 0

Squid Sammich

Aug 23, 2015
Texas
Name
Matt
Boat
To be determined
A fish we all dream about...IMO the coolest thing is a woman caught it.

They call amberjack reef donkeys

And here in the gulf we have rig donkeys too. But I'd rather catch that 80 lb YT than a 100 lb donkey. YT's are faster and smarter imo. Glad a woman caught it also.

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
Only a little off topic: My biggest YT was something like 30#, maybe 35#. I was told that big YT just don't taste very good and that for the table it's best to keep those under about 20#. Can anyone verify this notion? Thanks.

They're all good. Especially for those of us living north of......Santa Barbara. :D

Hamachi? The term WAS used for yt raised specifically for sushi bars.

Upvote 0

Iron Rod

I'm here for you grass hopper
Aug 14, 2012
Long beach
Name
Mack
Boat
All off them. Usually.
The fish was caught on 50-pound line, but is by far the largest CA yellowtail ever caught by a female angler in ANY line class.
However, the rail was used, and a deckhand handled the rod for about 15 seconds, so IGFA will not accept it for record consideration.
Regardless, major congratulations are in order.
"Dick says No No I'm the Big Dick araund here "all tool aside I'm thinking about how too say jolly hell no Thanks South Tuna..... Aside from your beautiful reel reporting you are a genuine Dick STFU with your Idiot ways . You come across like a dick. dick head. thanks for being an ass hole .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Iron Rod

Aug 14, 2012
Long beach
Name
Mack
Boat
All off them. Usually.
"Dick says No No I'm the Big Dick araund here "all tool aside I'm thinking about how too say jolly hell no Thanks South Tuna..... Aside from your beautiful reel reporting you are a genuine Dick STFU with your Idiot ways . You come across like a dick. dick head. thanks for being an ass hole .
Everyone should know how you treat people ... you're More of a PUNK than a man .

Upvote 0

StillinScrubs

Wahoo love me
Aug 30, 2005
Ft. Lauderdale/Miami
Name
Scott
Boat
Charon's skiff
Any details?

She was on her honeymoon. She was going to go goose hunting but decided they should go long range.

She also landed a 170 but it was a handoff so didn't count for the jackpot.
Pretty damn cool all around.

Supposedly her husband taught her how to fish long range. But I've only ever seen him catch rat yellowtail so sounds dubious. Lol. Hope he reads this.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16

By far the top questions about that fish are "What pound test line was used?", and "Is it a record?" Most folks like a complete explanation. If you don't want to know, feel free to scroll past.

Upvote 0

Iron Rod

Aug 14, 2012
Long beach
Name
Mack
Boat
All off them. Usually.
By far the top questions about that fish are "What pound test line was used?", and "Is it a record?" Most folks like a complete explanation. If you don't want to know, feel free to scroll past.
Very well Tuna South enjoy Dick!

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Everyone should know how you treat people ... you're More of a PUNK than a man .

You must have me mixed up with somebody else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rex1978

Nov 4, 2010
Novato, CA
Name
Rex
Boat
Hopefully one day
Her husband fished very well on the trip as well, I can confirm he caught more than rat yellows on this trip for sure.
Every person on the boat had at least 1 YFT over 100lbs.

I don't know for sure what lb test she was using, but for the flyline baits we were all using between 40 & 60 lb for the yellowtail. For the the tuna, we used larger line.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Very well Tuna South enjoy Dick!

Michael,

Not sure what Tunanorth posted that set you off. He is a well respected contributor on this forum and his original comments simply provided some detail. I believe the comments on IGFA rules were simply a reminder that most everyone on a LR trip that fishes the rail has little if any chance of holding an IGFA record due to the silly rules they have established. He also notes that it is truly a record regardless of the rules.

Last edited:
Upvote 0