Donate Bluefin to SD Food Bank?

Dexter Outdoors
Apr 10, 2019
San Pedro, CA
Name
Chris
Boat
La Reina
Not sure if this is the right forum, but is it possible to donate tuna caught on a sport boat to a San Diego food bank? Or do they just want canned tuna? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.

Reactions: dsl
Upvote 0

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
You can donate through the processors. usually, they only do max 50% of catch donation, rest must be processed.

Reactions: bob1825
Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Me too. Feels good. Helps justify a big load of fish. Feeding the poor

Recieve a receipt that might help with taxes.

Reactions: dsl and bob1825
Upvote 0

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    Not sure if this is the right forum, but is it possible to donate tuna caught on a sport boat to a San Diego food bank? Or do they just want canned tuna? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.
    If you itemize re taxes?
    You may be able to claim a charitable deduction for the value of your Tuna donation.
    This is NOT tax advice!!!
    But something for you to possibly look into..... maybe going fishing, doing good, and tax deduction can all fit together?
    Tight lines,

Upvote 0

PacificBlue

Nov 25, 2011
    USA
    Name
    JM
    Boat
    Still Looking
    How about catch just enough and release more for the health of the stock?
    By adding consumers, food banks, etc., you have just multiplied the pressure on these magnificent game fish by many fold. It is no longer just the fish versus the angler, the resource gets over-stressed by unwarranted overtake, aka, donating the fish because of exceeding your ability to reasonably consume. Release them healthy, stop fishing or return home if you have caught your fill.

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
    Sep 7, 2007
    la habra hts
    Name
    mike garrahan
    Boat
    23 ft. crestliner
    Donated sport caught fish cannot be used as a tax deduction. Google "CDFW tax deduction for sport caught fish". This has been discussed many times and CDFW has published the information multiple times. Don't kill a whole bunch of fish that you don't want thinking that you are going to get a big tax deduction to help pay for your fishing trips. Just hand them off to a fellow angler who is having trouble getting bit or release them so that they can live to fight another day.

Last edited:

Rocket Dog

Tagging and Bagging
    Mar 2, 2010
    SoCal
    Name
    Rocket Dog
    Boat
    passenger again
    Not tax-deductible, but you might be able to claim a business expense.

On that note, you can always donate to me. I do like a mix of loins, steaks, collars, and bellies. I like them frozen as well as jerky or smoked.

Reactions: esgeo and tommysdad

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Suggest you go with Fish Food Feel Good. Donate through Five Star.

Last edited:

Shimano Penn

Dec 3, 2014
    Chula Vista
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Fond Memory
    Great thread, I have been looking into this myself. The thing that is not clear to me is who pays for the processing? If I donate a fish do I pay the processing fee as well? Does the food bank pay? Does 5 Star do it for free? I’ve been catching more than I need this year and want to participate. I believe in catch and release on private boats but I’ve never seen a party boat do it, too high off the water to pull the hook right? Or can it be done?

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Donations through Five Star to the Fish-Food-Feel Good program are just that. Donate your fish and you’re done.

Five Star processes the fish and freezes it. Various organizations come to Five Star to pick it up and pay only for the processing and that, at a reduced rate. Great program.

Shimano Penn

Dec 3, 2014
    Chula Vista
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Fond Memory
    Donations through Five Star to the Fish-Food-Feel Good program are just that. Donate your fish and you’re done.

Five Star processes the fish and freezes it. Various organizations come to Five Star to pick it up and pay only for the processing and that, at a reduced rate. Great program.
    Awesome thanks, that’s how I figured it worked but wasn’t sure.

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Great idea, helping out people in need, with some of your bounty! 👍

Upvote 0

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    NA
    Donated sport caught fish cannot be used as a tax deduction. Google "CDFW tax deduction for sport caught fish". This has been discussed many times and CDFW has published the information multiple times. Don't kill a whole bunch of fish that you don't want thinking that you are going to get a big tax deduction to help pay for your fishing trips. Just hand them off to a fellow angler who is having trouble getting bit or release them so that they can live to fight another day.
    Okay, I feel this is not 100% correct information. I agree if you don't want the fish, then C&R. But I've been on boats that want you to keep the fish if the boat doesn't have limits. I have been on boats that allow C&R too, so it depends on the boat. If you have extra fish, give them to other passengers or use the donation route. I know other passengers have very much appreciated receiving fish when they have none or only 1. I try to do handoffs, but it doesn't always work out. I had a reel wrecked on last trip. That said, I don't think the CDFW has any standing on IRS determinations on what is tax deductible. Please ask your accountant to be sure. If anyone has an IRS letter stating one way or another, please provide that so we can all be sure. That really is the gold standard for what deductions are allowed and what are not.

alex88
    alex88
    Wrong, CDFW law states that game fish can not hold any value at all. So if you donate half of $0 your IRS deduction is still $0. There is no way around assigning a value for the IRS for something that legally cannot have a value.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
    Sep 7, 2007
    la habra hts
    Name
    mike garrahan
    Boat
    23 ft. crestliner
    If the CDFW has published their official position that the value of sport caught fish is zero and that you cannot use the donation for a tax deduction do you really think that the IRS is going to take the exact opposite view and allow you to claim thousands of dollars for donated fish so that they collect less income tax from you. Good luck with that. I have a pretty good tax professional and I have asked this exact question several times and the answer is always the same, "don't do it".

Upvote 0

california2

Jan 29, 2011
    N. OC
    Name
    cali
    Boat
    boat
    If the CDFW has published their official position that the value of sport caught fish is zero and that you cannot use the donation for a tax deduction do you really think that the IRS is going to take the exact opposite view and allow you to claim thousands of dollars for donated fish so that they collect less income tax from you. Good luck with that. I have a pretty good tax professional and I have asked this exact question several times and the answer is always the same, "don't do it".
    I agree. CDFW is NOT the IRS. A donation is a donation just like going to the good will and donating items(ironically you claim the value of the donations...grey area). See the IRS regulations, no where does it state that sport caught fish cannot be claimed as donations. Even if audited, all you have to tell the IRS if they fight it is where in Tax code does it state otherwise. Done.

Upvote 0

Webfeet

Mar 17, 2020
    High Desert
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    None
    Donating fish to a nonprofit organization is clearly allowed by Internal Revenue Code. Anyone interested in making a donation should consult IRS Pub 526. A couple of items to be aware of:
    1. CDFW agents are not federal or state tax authorities and cannot enforce or create tax regulations, so their position should automatically be disregarded. In addition they have a political motive for discouraging donating fish.
    2. FMV is not determined on what price you can sell fish for. FMV is based on what 2 disinterested parties involved in a but/sell transaction buy and sell the fish for.
    3. FMV can be found by doing an internet search for the cost of wholesale fish being sold in California. Having your fish processed and then donated is not cost-effective, so it is best to use the wholesale market price on the date the fish is donated.
    4. An individual cannot deduct the expense of catching the fish to be donated.
    5. Make sure you retain the donation receipt and documentation for how the FMV was determine. The FMV needs to be determined on the date of the donation.

There is not a lot of monetary value in the donation, but it will cover some of the incidental costs of a trip like parking, breakfast, etc. plus providing less fortunate people something to eat..

Upvote 0

matt fe2o3

Dec 23, 2020
    San Leandro
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    BT 101
    The CDFW is correct on this one. Try if you want but like I tell some of my clients, your wallet is not worth my license. I've only been a tax accountant for over 43 years so what do I know.
    I think the donation program is excellent. Quality donations of excellent protein instead of the oldest can of pineapple on the back shelf of the pantry. LOL.

Taxes have become quite simple for us with the business wound down and the tax law changes. That said, this would have fallen under "goodwill" with our accountant. $500 per year pretty standard. That will fly with decent income. Outside of that only cash donations are counted above.

Upvote 0

matt fe2o3

Dec 23, 2020
    San Leandro
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    BT 101
    Everyone became a account really fast on this post.
    Only to the offshoot of the tax implication points raised, just one area of the discussion. Not unreasonable when people ask about monetizing donations to get responses from folks with experience - to be careful.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0