RodRage

Share the stoke!
Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
Out for a couple of pulls this evening n had five hoops set in a certain area for over an hour soak with glow sticks not another boat in sight scouting another area when a skiff pulls up with four people and they drop within 100 feet of my set with no glow sticks. it was a slow night but that’s beside the point I can’t stress enough to new hoopers that you need to go find your own spot don’t drop on top of other people it’s not Cool!

Last edited:

woodfish330

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Truly sucks. Fished commercial lobster in the 80's off S.Cal. Couldn't figure out why certain traps were always empty. One day....from the cliffs we watched air bubbles (divers) go from trap to trap. Called DFG. You know the result. They never showed. Before leaving the water they spotted us....left their kill bags in the water when they came ashore. Got in their car and left. Got the plate number. You know what happened....ZERO. Thanks DFG. Sorry to hear of your plight. ..can relate for sure.

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
They probably saw a lobster report here and got the itch to lobster fish.It's not only the new people that do that shit.
For once I'll have to agree with you!

I know where a lot of guys on this board hoop their favorite spots and rarely will I fish them and definitely not if they or somebody else is in there. Believe me there are plenty of other good spots to hoop you just have to explore a little and find them. Early in the season there are a couple of spots that really produce but often there are 3-6 boats fishing it tight together and I'm just not into Combat Hooping.

Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
I mean yeah I’d be pissed, but at the same time, where I fish, it’s a very limited area (Newport) only the west breakwall produces anything, and that’s not a big area by any means. I’ve been cool with guys who will wait for me to finish, have the courtesy to make sure I’m done (they ask) and then scoot in behind me. It’s not just newbies, don’t put all the blame on them.

Blackfish

Sep 20, 2005
Shithole
Name
Boat
toy
where I fish, it’s a very limited area (Newport) only the west breakwall produces anything, and that’s not a big area by any means.

I understand your frustration. But this right here is more info than you should share on the BD WWW. Many people don't even think Newport has bugs. ;)

Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
I understand your frustration. But this right here is more info than you should share on the BD WWW. Many people don't even think Newport has bugs. ;)
It doesn’t anymore, at least, besides the shorts that I think I keep catching and catching. I think I’m gonna sharpie a smiley face on them so I know when I’m catching the same one 15 times...

justinb

Jan 10, 2012
Riverside
Name
Justin
Boat
23ft striper "Reel Happy"
Almost the same thing happened to me last weekend in long beach but this d.ck had his lights off on his center console and decided to drive around as fast as he could around us after checking his pots.

Reactions: RodRage

RodRage

Share the stoke!
Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
Almost the same thing happened to me last weekend in long beach but this d.ck had his lights off on his center console and decided to drive around as fast as he could around us after checking his pots.
I try hard to keep my distance rarely hoop on the weekends and when others are cordial I always share information, it’s not that big a deal to me but on a Wednesday evening with not another boat in the ocean it struck me as odd and arrogant. As posted earlier fishings been slow I need something to bitch about...

Last edited:
Reactions: justinb

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
Even in fishing, find your own spots. Put in the time and work. If I see someone coming in on my secret spot, I take them out to sea.

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
Even in fishing, find your own spots. Put in the time and work. If I see someone coming in on my secret spot, I take them out to sea.
and make sure that you put up a permanent sign on your secret spot so that others wont make it their secret spot on the days that youre not out on the water. Maybe post the days and times that you will be fishing your secret spot. If people would do this, maybe you would realize that your secret spot has been somebody elses secret spot long before you came along.

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
and make sure that you put up a permanent sign on your secret spot so that others wont make it their secret spot on the days that youre not out on the water. Maybe post the days and times that you will be fishing your secret spot. If people would do this, maybe you would realize that your secret spot has been somebody elses secret spot long before you came along.
unnamed.jpg

Reactions: mhanson59hb

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
What is DH's favorite saying...

Something about don't fish for boats. Put in the time on the water.

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
DH "Do you smell like fish but have nothing to show"

Probably the lonely boat you encountered came back like that.

I'm such a dick. Surfing a 30 mile long beach break. That does have a 2 mile long good stretch, but that's long. There are peaks all up and down the beach. And a group of guys all paddle out and literally sit 10 feet from me. When I'm all alone or with 1 bro. Some funny looks when I ask them "do you want to hold hands" then I paddle to the next empty peak over. They are usually not from Costa Rica or the US

Unless the peak I'm on is way better then all the other peaks that day. Then I will pretend like the peak a tad up or down the beach is better and paddle to no mans land. Then when the group paddle follows me. Once I reach a shitty part of the beach and possibly in the middle of a gnarly current. I turn back around and paddle back to where we were LOL . They almost never follow me back and just look at me from way over there now. While drifting away in the current. Current direction depends if I paddle them North or South, so its extra hard to paddle back to me. Dropped them off :D

Maybe try that. Slowly drive away to some shitty spot. If they follow. Once they reach you. Go back to where you were LOL they will feel so lame to follow you back.

RodRage

Share the stoke!
Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
DH "Do you smell like fish but have nothing to show"

Probably the lonely boat you encountered came back like that.

I'm such a dick. Surfing a 30 mile long beach break. That does have a 2 mile long good stretch, but that's long. There are peaks all up and down the beach. And a group of guys all paddle out and literally sit 10 feet from me. When I'm all alone or with 1 bro. Some funny looks when I ask them "do you want to hold hands" then I paddle to the next empty peak over. They are usually not from Costa Rica or the US

Unless the peak I'm on is way better then all the other peaks that day. Then I will pretend like the peak a tad up or down the beach is better and paddle to no mans land. Then when the group paddle follows me. Once I reach a shitty part of the beach and possibly in the middle of a gnarly current. I turn back around and paddle back to where we were LOL . They almost never follow me back and just look at me from way over there now. While drifting away in the current. Current direction depends if I paddle them North or South, so its extra hard to paddle back to me. Dropped them off :D

Maybe try that. Slowly drive away to some shitty spot. If they follow. Once they reach you. Go back to where you were LOL they will feel so lame to follow you back.
Haa

Reactions: ZZZZZ

Fins in the Bin

Jun 10, 2004
Jamul
Name
used to fish
Boat
50 Silverton
Any lefts on the 2 mile stretch or are they all rights?