PENN

Bodegacowboy

Aug 24, 2011
Rio Oso
Name
Mike
Boat
2520XL Parker
So, took the long drive from Sacramento down for a 1-1/2 day on the Dominator leaving Friday night. We ended the trip with 8 BF and 7-8 YT, I got one of the BF , yeehaa! . Same conditions as everyone else, boat was nice.....Think the deckhands could have been a little quicker on the slide to result in more fish as they faded out pretty quickly, but just my opinion and I don't know shit. Saw lots and lots of fish, We went further out to get away from the red crab and found some biters. All and all a good trip! Having a big dinner tomorrow for lot's of friends! Sashimi, fresh Salmon (yep, a benefit of living up here), and rock cod fish tacos.

So I had an idea, maybe crazy, I wish I was closer to try it out. Rig a 4 prop drone with a downrigger clip and pull up within 100 Yards of the breezers, then aerial a dine to them right on top of the water!!! I saw lots of fish eating our baits that were free swimmers a long ways from the boat......IDK ,May try it when I bring my boat down first week of July.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Im seriously surprised this hasnt been done yet.

Reactions: marlyn
Upvote 0

limowreck1

A Complete Wreck
Jan 10, 2011
San Clemente, CA
Name
Scott Campbell
Boat
Grady White Bimini 306
I was on that boat with you. Kudos on your catch... crazy that 3 guys got all the Bluefin and most of the yellow's too. Definitely was tough seeing all those fish and barely getting any to bite. Sounds like you're ready to go high tech.

Reactions: Troy
Upvote 0

clintonstick

Mar 18, 2014
Name
mike
Boat
g3
Im seriously surprised this hasnt been done yet.
I am sure it will be someday.To me technology has ruined hunting and fishing in many ways.You have guys trying to shoot big game at 1500'yards,probably have some drone carrying your sardine 300 yards from the boat, and a electric reel so someguy with a gopro can put it on youtube.Whats the point,just play a video game.I think it must be very exciting to see those fish and know that you have a chance but not guaranteed,but when you get one it really special.

Upvote 0

Bodegacowboy

Aug 24, 2011
Rio Oso
Name
Mike
Boat
2520XL Parker
I am sure it will be someday.To me technology has ruined hunting and fishing in many ways.You have guys trying to shoot big game at 1500'yards,probably have some drone carrying your sardine 300 yards from the boat, and a electric reel so someguy with a gopro can put it on youtube.Whats the point,just play a video game.I think it must be very exciting to see those fish and know that you have a chance but not guaranteed,but when you get one it really special.
Yeah, your right, but I guess using a fishing forum to gather data and intel on fish location, water conditions, bait status, etc is fine since it's just another way to communicate.....hmmmm, makes me wonder, where you draw the line? Now that I think about it, advancement in electronics, 4 stoke engines and fishing equipment has really ruined fishing for me.......Thanks! I needed a good laugh.

Upvote 0

limowreck1

A Complete Wreck
Jan 10, 2011
San Clemente, CA
Name
Scott Campbell
Boat
Grady White Bimini 306
Damn sure wasn't guaranteed this weekend.

Upvote 0
May 21, 2015
Name
collin sheehan
Boat
o'reelly 2
Yeah, your right, but I guess using a fishing forum to gather data and intel on fish location, water conditions, bait status, etc is fine since it's just another way to communicate.....hmmmm, makes me wonder, where you draw the line? Now that I think about it, advancement in electronics, 4 stoke engines and fishing equipment has really ruined fishing for me.......Thanks! I needed a good laugh.

Not to far off kite fishing...
Pretty funny

Reactions: marlyn and dweston
Upvote 0

strackle99

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Mar 20, 2008
    Villa Lepro, Baja
    Name
    Todd
    Boat
    The one on the fish
    Yup, and they still make boats with room for charts... Right?

Upvote 0

clintonstick

Mar 18, 2014
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    g3
    Damn sure wasn't guaranteed this weekend.
    thats because you didnt have a drone,,lol.So you dont think technology has the and can take the whole reason i fish away,to figure out things for myself by spending time in the outdoors.The things i have learned about hunting and fishing in my life and believe me its alot.I would never spill my guts on the internet.i have places and techniques that i would never tell on the internet in my neigherborhood .I have paid my dues and dont plan to spill my guts to some dick on the intenet.There are guys in that know shit you cant believe,secret spots and techniques,if i lived there i would be one.An american indian would kill more big game than any cali internet dick could ever imagine and not by technology but by experience and feel.Those terns you are chasing know more about fish than you could ever dream.I caught 14 tuna out of 28 caught on aztec on a overnight trip last year,and it was my first year fishing offshore on party boats.How can that can possibly happen,experience son.aNd i have fished on boats where i knew certain guys knew more than i ever will,i watched and picked those guys brains if they allowed me.They paid big time dues in there lives.IT takes a expert to know a expert!!!!!Tribal knowledge is a powerful thing generations of experience and i see some cali guys that have it on ,its awesome.I will never be a top offshore stick,because my experience will never be enough,but i am smart enough to to pay attention and learn what i can by guys that have paid their dues and are offshore indians.

Last edited:
    Reactions: kenfishken
    Upvote 0

Fishdood

Fishgistics
    Sep 30, 2012
    San Marcos, CA
    www.facebook.com
    Name
    Austin
    Boat
    So I had an idea, maybe crazy, I wish I was closer to try it out. Rig a 4 prop drone with a downrigger clip and pull up within 100 Yards of the breezers, then aerial a dine to them right on top of the water!!! I saw lots of fish eating our baits that were free swimmers a long ways from the boat......IDK ,May try it when I bring my boat down first week of July.
    I had this same idea last weekend and told my buddies exactly this! I'm sure it's already being done and I am going to try it this summer.

Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
    HB
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Line up
    Too funny 10%ers get at least 90 it might be 5% get 95% been on albacore trips when other than troll fish. 2 guys got all 7 bait fish. It takes the willingness to hold your rod at bait tank with the freshest live green back switching it every ten minutes. Sometimes four hours. Until...... Hookup. You throw in on the slide your on a fish before most even stand up!!!! The fish sink out!!! The two guys who worked. Get rewarded. Just like Sunday on our boat we at least got bit. It took the know how of when and where to set up be super quiet. No moving or nothing. Just soak!!!! Then it's on!!!! Nothing worthwhile comes easily. TL

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC

I actually get where clintonstick is coming from.

Balloons, kites, a little intel among buddies and some other things..... all good for me, but like you said, the line is drawn somewhere at some point, and as cool as I think drones are, I personally don't dig the thought of people using them for fishing.

Outdoor sports (fishing, hunting,.....) were times to get away from it all and connect with mother nature. Now with the advent of internet and Social Media and other fancy electronics, we now are seeing internet on long range boats and camp grounds, and for me personally, the last thing I want to see is a buch of drones buzzing around while I'm out trying to get away from the concrete madness and catch some fish. But hey, that's just me.

Just seems like more & more people are forgetting what the hunt for a fish or animal was really all about!

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

Bottom Line

Village idiot
    Jul 9, 2006
    Warner Springs
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Invader CC - Bottom Line
    Brice & I were talking about this very thing on Saturday as we long soaked and watched fish breaking near by - it is completely do-able!

Reactions: Saluki
    Upvote 0

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
    Fullerton
    Name
    SM
    Boat
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    So, took the long drive from Sacramento down for a 1-1/2 day on the Dominator leaving Friday night. We ended the trip with 8 BF and 7-8 YT, I got one of the BF , yeehaa! . Same conditions as everyone else, boat was nice.....Think the deckhands could have been a little quicker on the slide to result in more fish as they faded out pretty quickly, but just my opinion and I don't know shit. Saw lots and lots of fish, We went further out to get away from the red crab and found some biters. All and all a good trip! Having a big dinner tomorrow for lot's of friends! Sashimi, fresh Salmon (yep, a benefit of living up here), and rock cod fish tacos.

Too complicated. Slow troll a bridle rigged mackerel or nose hooked sardine. Rubber band a 3 oz torpedo up the leader. Prolly could get away with 100 lb flourocarbon for leader. Long drop back.

Upvote 0

rdrrm8e

Fucking Stan
    Nov 19, 2003
    Anaheim
    bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    chuck
    Boat
    No
    thats because you didnt have a drone,,lol.So you dont think technology has the and can take the whole reason i fish away,to figure out things for myself by spending time in the outdoors.The things i have learned about hunting and fishing in my life and believe me its alot.I would never spill my guts on the internet.i have places and techniques that i would never tell on the internet in my neigherborhood .I have paid my dues and dont plan to spill my guts to some dick on the intenet.There are guys in that know shit you cant believe,secret spots and techniques,if i lived there i would be one.An american indian would kill more big game than any cali internet dick could ever imagine and not by technology but by experience and feel.Those terns you are chasing know more about fish than you could ever dream.I caught 14 tuna out of 28 caught on aztec on a overnight trip last year,and it was my first year fishing offshore on party boats.How can that can possibly happen,experience son.aNd i have fished on boats where i knew certain guys knew more than i ever will,i watched and picked those guys brains if they allowed me.They paid big time dues in there lives.IT takes a expert to know a expert!!!!!Tribal knowledge is a powerful thing generations of experience and i see some cali guys that have it on ,its awesome.I will never be a top offshore stick,because my experience will never be enough,but i am smart enough to to pay attention and learn what i can by guys that have paid their dues and are offshore indians.

"Offshore Indian"....? Seriously?

Somebody else's boat
    Somebody else driving your ass to the fish
    Somebody else glassing for the fish/bait/birds
    Somebody else catching your bait
    Somebody else cooking your food and keeping your beer cold
    Somebody else cleaning the shitter

You set up your gear and pick a bait.

Kemosabe.......you are no offshore Indian.

And I assume you are talking a Loretta Sanchez Indian...not a red dot Indian.

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers

what does "the deck hands could have been a little quicker on the slide " mean.....inquiring minds want to know

Reactions: hilltop and wils
    Upvote 0
    P

Paddyman1

I actually get where clintonstick is coming from.

Balloons, kites, a little intel among buddies and some other things..... all good for me, but like you said, the line is drawn somewhere at some point, and as cool as I think drones are, I personally don't dig the thought of people using them for fishing.

Outdoor sports (fishing, hunting,.....) were times to get away from it all and connect with mother nature. Now with the advent of internet and Social Media and other fancy electronics, we now are seeing internet on long range boats and camp grounds, and for me personally, the last thing I want to see is a buch of drones buzzing around while I'm out trying to get away from the concrete madness and catch some fish. But hey, that's just me.

Just seems like more & more people are forgetting what the hunt for a fish or animal was really all about!

The unknown fisherman:p:
    I agree, Mike. When I owned my boat (too long ago) I actually found myself leaning on the more traditional ways of scoping the sea for signs of life, different birds and their behavior, kelps, boils, landmarking positions, etc. I picked up more fishing tips and skills growing up around panga captains with a VHF as the only electronic device.

I don't look forward to the day people have a fishing app on their "dumb phone" that controls the fishing drone, that has hi def fish scanning, that triggers the electronic line to cast, that hooks the fish for you. All you need to do is reel it in! Voila! No thanks

Upvote 0

Bodegacowboy

Aug 24, 2011
    Rio Oso
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2520XL Parker
    what does "the deck hands could have been a little quicker on the slide " mean.....inquiring minds want to know

I'm not gonna bash the Dominator, The crew did a great job, Skipper worked hard! The two young cooks made phenomenal meals, the kegerator was loaded with great beer! Slept like a baby on the way out and back in. I probably hold people to a higher standard, When I idle down my engines, I expect one of my crew to be ready at the tanks and start brailing bait instantly on command! I assume since the boat hasn't been out in a while, and the deckys are a little rusty, the since of urgency wasn't what I'd expect, but I'm one of those guys who fishes hard, changes my bait constantly and realize that BF are going to sink out quick! All of the fish we caught were fished hard after longgggggg soaks, not much blowing up on the corner! All and all , I'd jump back on the boat again with no regrets.

Upvote 0

Steve Francis

Sep 11, 2006
    --
    Name
    StephenKatSea
    Boat
    .--.
    "Rail Time" is often the secret to the success of those 5% who catch 95% of the fish on So Cal sport boats. I was very fortunate to have Arnold "Cookie" Cook, Gary Nordbye and Billy Miyagawa, all working on the "America" back in the 60s, give me some sound/simple advice. Stay at the rail with a fresh nosed hook chovie ready to drop back immediately upon a jig strike or when sliding into fish. If you're close to the stern just drop the bait in and let it glide back. If you're further up the rail, a short smooth cast will often place your bait in the strike zone. Don't leave the rail until the day is over.

I was a young teenaged kid, totally intrigued with what was going on in the wheel house. Cook liked me and allowed me to remain for hours. One day during a decent albacore trip, he asked me, "How many fish you got". I replied, "two". Cook said, "Not bad. But, see that guy down there constantly at the rail. He has 10. You can stay up here as long as you want. But there has NEVER been a fish caught in this wheelhouse". "Come back up when we're headed in and you can 'hold the wheel', if you want". His advice stuck.

Billy Miyagawa - RIP, later to own "Zukers", saw my sincere interest and began giving me some further outstanding, subtle advice. Those of us who ever had the privilege of fishing with Bill, realize he was one of the best ever on rod and reel. Bill and I remained life long friends. He is missed by many.

Upvote 0

CAPTRANDEL

May 20, 2004
    San Diego, California
    www.facebook.com
    Name
    Chris Randel
    Boat
    CHIEF
    I think a balloon rubber banded to your line would work just fine allowing your bait to get further upwind and away from the boat fishing from the bow. Might have to do a long soak so pick the best Sardine you can find, have a large reel with plenty of line as you will have half your line out in some cases when the reel goes off. Drone NO! not practical at this time but you never know what the future may bring.

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    I would like to see the drone thing work,i wonder though if the pulling power of a bait might not make it feasible.I can picture a release clip not releasing quickly and a drone hitting the water.

Upvote 0