Dominator 9-23

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by yakdout, Sep 24, 2018.

1. yakdout

yakdout Professional

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    Went out on saturdays overnight trip aboard the dominator fishing Sunday. Four of my friends on the boat and I booked last minute because it was one of their birthday trips.

Get on the boat around 8:30pm and find out we are tying off on the bait dock til 2 AM. Despite recent quarrels of this being a negative thing, I saw it as a positive. The fish were close, and the seas were rough Saturday night. No sense in drifting around in rough waters if we can still be on the fish by day break.

One of my friends on the trip Kevin, has never caught an ocean fish (more to come on this) so I was adamant about showing him the world of saltwater fishing and how fun it can be. We made the best of Saturday night tied up the the bait barge and I set him up with a Carolina rig and we proceeded to stay up til 1:30 AM nailing some large sand bass, sculpin and calicos. He was so excited just to catch a large sand bass, I was really looking forward to his reaction the next day fishing tuna.

The captain told us in the briefing that they had been tracking a very large kelp below the hidden for a few days and we were going to B-line for it.

As we wake up in the morning before first light I see about 8 boats 6-7 miles away and they are all drifting by this kelp plucking away. We slide up get in line, brale the bait and fish are boiling instantly.

I started the morning fishing bait, keeping a close eye on Kevin and neither of us were doing well, I only had 2 yellowfin and he had a skipjack after hours at the rail. I tell him let’s go up to the bow and see if we can get anything on jigs.

At this point the boat only had a half dozen yft on the boat and time was running out considering we were pretty far south for an overnight.

I tie on a halco roosta popper, the second to largest they make. 160 gram I believe. On my first cast, I get blown up on, and boat 4 yellowfin in 4 consecutive casts. All the while Kevin staring at me because his gear was inadequate and I could see the anxious look on his face. He wanted to try it. I hand him my lexa 400 with a 9’ phenix rod, and this newbie sticks two yellowfin on the popper in no time.

The whole boat catches wind of what is going on in the bow, as they are catching mostly straight skippies on the stern. Before you know it, we have 20 guys throwing poppers up and down the boat and everyone is getting bit including some female anglers who had never thrown a jig in their life. The excitement was pretty cool to see.

After I turned Kevin loose on my lexa 400 and showing him the technique, I grab my heavier jig stick, tie on the haymaker halco 195 (biggest they make) and start bouncing tuna. I ended up sticking 12 on the popper and 2 on bait.

What was really nice about fishing the popper was the skippies won’t touch em. Gauranteed yellowfin if you get bit.

It was really cool to enjoy the day on the water with some friends and teach them a few things about my passion. And they did very well for being relatively new. How many people can say they stuck their first two tuna on a popper after only being on one 3/4 day boat prior to this trip.

The boat ended up with about 80 or so skipjack and 45 yellowfin. I would say 90% of the yellowfin came after everyone on the boat decided to follow suit and switch to poppers.

Lastly, the captain, cook and crew on the dominator were great. Boat was very well kept and there were some hard working kids working the deck. Would fish the boat again with no hesitiation.

Don’t leave home without your big poppers if going for the yft!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    Pgnracr, Smiler1958, jiggyn and 21 others like this.
  2. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Man, that report was really "poppin"! Thanks for the tips, definitely going to stock up on some poppers before my trip next Monday, Congrats!

3. Edward L Russ

Edward L Russ Member

Name:
    Rusty cage
    Boat:
    Mission fishin
    monkey see monkey do.

4. larry dickson

larry dickson Member

Name:
    Chuck Roast
    Boat:
    20' Skip
    Thanks for the great report. Love storys like this. Nothing better than helping others learn, have success and fun. Good on you!

5. Bradleyjbush

Bradleyjbush Newbie

Name:
    bradley
    Boat:
    n/a
    Hell yeah! Love some yft on the poppers!

6. yakdout

yakdout Professional

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    A few pictures of Kevin, and his first three ocean fish. We made him eat the heart, he did it like a champion. Wish I had a video of that one.

7A1A03CF-2614-4393-829B-D5C5050461EF.jpeg 7BC8EB37-BA4E-47C4-9D54-EA4E025BDE8A.jpeg 35D5EC55-3CAB-43A0-9243-94ADA9B4E91F.jpeg

7. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    That is awesome. Right on Kevin.

8. dctalk523

dctalk523 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never
  9. cchris

cchris Member

Name:
    Cris
    Boat:
    friends :)
    Its great to get people involved into casting lures, way more fun to see yellowfin blow up on a popper than casting baits. Congratulations on a great meat trip, all I see is sushi in your future!!!

10. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Way to go guys!

11. rx1

rx1 Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Working on it
    Did color matter? Going out in a couple days and want to pick up a few. Thanks

12. yakdout

yakdout Professional

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    Color did not matter. Just make sure you have a popper that moves a lot of water. Big splashes on the pop were equating to fish. Small little bloops were not producing.

Haly0 likes this.
  13. rx1

rx1 Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Working on it
    Great! Thanks

14. _Ferbz_

_Ferbz_ i came i saw i conquered

Name:
    Furby
    Boat:
    Master Baiter 19' Trophy CC
    On Sunday i was fishing down off Colonett they were chewing the paint off the boat . It got so hot in the corner the skipper comes down yelling theres so much fucking tuna on the meter throw the trolling gear . He proceeds to grab the trolling rod with a feather drops it and starts jack poleing solid yellowfin great bite going down right now. Popper was getting inhaled so badass to catch tuna on the popper seeing them blowup on them .