tunakillerjoe1

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
Hey, I have a 40 Hp 4 stroke outboard on my 15' valco westcoaster. I was thinking of adding one of those fin/dolphin foils to my setup. Any reccomendations, and info on what gains I can expect? Do I have to drill, or are there ones that bolt on and work. Also, what about a stainless blade, worth the bucks? Love the boat, motor now, but looking at improvements! Thanks for the intel-

Rick U

Oct 22, 2004
LA
Name
Rick
Boat
Montauk
A lot of boaters like them, but they do have some downsides. An example is in a following sea the fin will lift the stern of the boat and stuff the bow. There are some that don’t require drilling but they cost more and are bulky. It might be an overall benefit for your boat and boating conditions but I’d recommend really trying all available adjustments on the your outboard to see if that helps achieve what you are looking for. They do get you up on plane faster and hold it at a lower speed but that comes with trade offs. Adjusting the height and trim and changing the prop can achieve a lot.

Reactions: woodfish330

onehottip

May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
A ss prop would give you no benefits verse a aluminum IMO. Ss prop are heavier and will rob power. Usually fins are added to try to alleviate a inherent issue of the hull or motor or both. Like porpoising or hard to get up on plane.they do help for those issues. I ran a doel fin for years and it helped with porpoising. What issue are you trying to improve. Is your motor mounted at the proper height. Look for the anti cavitation plate at wot to be at or above the white water. Adjust if necessary. Running too low affects performance. Start there. Gl.

Last edited:
Reactions: woodfish330

Nick

215cc Triumph
Aug 4, 2004
san diego
www.sandiegoanglers.com
Name
Nick
Boat
bad habit
I had a doelfin on my 20ft Bayrunner with 90hp Honda.Worked really well. The foil allows for easy trim and milage. In a following sea condition you can adjust your bow up or down as needed.trim tabs can only adjust the bow down.

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
Brookings, Southern Oregon
Name
Chris Berlin
Boat
21 Arima Ranger
I put some on over powered small boats like montauks and other 20 footer cc's. The only noticeable effect they had was to reduce porpoising when running fast on calm water. On a normal powered setup up I would say they do nothing to add any 'gain'. Trim is adjusted by angle of thrust. If the fin were 'digging in' then it would create extra drag.

Last edited:

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Was gonna "chime in".... but the above comments say it all. Had one.... it worked well... you need to decide if the negatives will be worth the benefits. Only you know your fishing areas and boating style. Trim plate....great.

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
My dinghy (powered by a Yamaha 60) came with one has standard equipment. I bought the dinghy from Tradewinds inflatables (actually on the second identical dinghy now). The owner of Tradewinds swears by them, for what that is worth.

tunakillerjoe1

Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
Thanks all, I do not have any porposing or problems out of the hole. It seems like a lot of folks run these plates, and for a few bucks I thought why not? I will probably not go with it, the enemy of good is better! Thanks again!

Reel Time!

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 16, 2014
Northern CA
www.PerformanceOutdoors.net
Name
Martin
Boat
Triumph 235CC
A friend of mine has a 17 ft Arima with a 90 horsepower Honda. He has that same fin on it, with a 4 blade aluminum prop. That combination works perfectly for him on that boat. I did carb rebuilds and other maintenance items for him this year, and then ran it. The fin works really well on that boat.

Last edited:

RodRage

Share the stoke!
Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
I have one on my Etech 200 and love it, Planes easier motor labors less and better mileage, Havent been in large enough following seas to notice stuffing.

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Ships & Giggles (32' double decker pontoon)
I have the "sting ray" on my boat now.... I have tried some of the other styles out there and I have found this one to perform the best... it has the least drag (except for the yamaha permatrim units) and VERY good lift... I have never had any issues with "stuffing" and my 20' boat will do better than 50 MPH with it on and lowered my ability to plane speed down to 15-16 and before it was a little under 21 when loaded with 3 big guys, 47 gallons of fuel, 32 gal bait tank on the swim platform, 100+ lbs of ice and all the associated fishing gear.
513OgUWyPNL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
0204051629.jpg

Reactions: QueenAnnesRevenge

hawkplayer32

I'd rather be fishing.
Aug 6, 2012
Valencia, CA
Name
Tony Hicks
Boat
Baja Bound
I run one on my 18 bayrunner. Gets on plane much quicker and I like the overall performance better. You should get one.

Reactions: RodRage

Jaysons999

Internet fisherman
Apr 5, 2015
San marcos
Name
Jay
Boat
16' blue fin "paddy sniffer" 18' Starcraft “Ace of Spades”
My boats both came with them and as a tinkerer I had to take them off and run the boats without. For me with two aluminum center consoles one 16 and one 18 HUGE improvement with them installed.

I’m able to get on plane at about 10mph as opposed to the 15-16 w/o. Another thing is they stay on plane much more consistently without throttle adjustments. It’s a big ocean for an aluminum can.

Drill 4 holes who cares. My money is on you leaving it on. Good luck.

Reactions: RodRage

RodRage

Share the stoke!
Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
Pro tip : This is my second rodeo, I bought one and tried using the rubber clamps rather than drilling holes and after the third run when pulling the boat out of the water it was nowhere to be found, didnt think twice about replacing it proper before the next trip, GAME CHANGER for sure!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaysons999

AWilliams

May 18, 2009
Ramona, Ca.
Name
Alin Williams
Boat
none
If you absolutely have to have one, at least get a Bryans Foil. I had one on my 17' Skeeter w/ 80 Yamaha. They do work as advertised but I had a better all around improvement going to a Mercury Spitfire/Quicksilver Nemesis 4 blade prop. Much better than draggin' that friggin' thing thru the water. Better hole shot, no porpoising, on plane at slower speeds, no cavitation at hi speed turns, better stern lift.

tunakillerjoe1

Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
Great info all, thanks! Going to get one, which one? I may make my own with some plywood- save some bucks!

bdrlgion

Apr 11, 2014
Seattle
Name
"Mulligan"
Boat
18' Tiderunner Runabout
Had one on my Yamaha F115 on an 18' runabout - liked it, but ended up upgrading to trim tabs this weekend instead.

Relatedly - any reason not to use JB Weld's SteelStik (same color as my Yamaha) to fill these 4 holes? It says it's rated for aluminum...but it's steel based. Steel + aluminum +saltwater = galvanic corrosion?

Mr. lucky

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 17, 2004
Poway
Name
Jason Gutzmer
Boat
La Rana
If anyone wants to try one on their smaller motor. Let me know.