CMY SIX

ASSHOLE #2
Feb 5, 2011
Opelika Al USA
Name
quinn
Boat
exel last, next?
I will be moving out of state{AL} before my Nov 10 trip on the Indy. So today I had to get a plane ticket and reserve a hotel for the night before. wanting to be close to the boats, I looked at the Dolphin, vagabond, and the 2or3 other motels close by, I had heard the Vagabond changed owners and were no longer as "angler friendly" as they had been in the past, the others are corp. hotels/motels and they are what they are. I did a little research and the Vagabond was bought by a Indian family{not "native"} that owns about 80% of the hotels' motels in SD. I have no problems with success or hard work or people coming here and becoming Americans and living the dream. But the Dolphin motel is owned/operated by a guy and his 89 yo father and has been for years. I called to get a quote and he was $5.00 more then the vagabond, I really didn't care about the $5, but before I could say a thing he started giving me #'s of other hotels so I could compare, after telling him I already looked around I told him about the $5 difference, he matched the Vagabond and I made the reso. Nice guy too boot. I would hope that those of you who need a room before your trip, would give this guy a chance, help keep a fellow american/small biz in biz! IMHO

Upvote 0

TopMpg

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 29, 2006
Central Coast
Name
Unknown
Boat
Never Again
I always stay at the Dolphin the night before my trips. The rooms may be small but they are clean. What more do you need for a place to sleep. Good choice.

Upvote 0

$norkle

May 6, 2008
Corvallis,OR
Name
Bruce
Boat
In my dreams!
I always stay at the Dolphin. It's clean, friendly and right across the street. When I call for a reservation they remember me. Nice folks and nice operation.

Upvote 0

fosterthedog

Jul 30, 2011
DeRuyter NY
Name
steve
Boat
18' nothing special, no payments
dolphin is a great place to stay right across from the landing, very much a customer service operation. If the owner is there take time to have a talk with him. He knew Bill Poole and has some great stories to tell, worth the extra $5. The rooms are small but will feel like a suite compared to where youll spend the next night. Have a great trip, 87 days til Im at the Dolphin.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
I booked there for the nights before and after my first long range trip in September. I was very impressed with their prompt and very informative email exchanges, and on the phone.
And I figure if the rooms are small, it's just a good prep for a week aboard a boat...

Upvote 0

pooahl

Paul
Jun 9, 2009
Sacramento
Name
Paul
Boat
usually long range
Stayed there for the first time in June after having stayed at the Vagabond last year. We'll be back there at the Dolphin next trip. Vag is OK for sure, but Dolphin is clean, cheap, and close by. And the guys running it are super cool. CAN'T say the same about Ramada.

Upvote 0

huntingdad

Almost A Member
Jul 15, 2009
camp verde az
Name
kevin presmyk
Boat
American Angler
I stay there before my june trips. They are cheaper than the others then, plus all the above mentioned points.Up until this year, you could park there for 7 days free. They just changed their off season times a little. Still a nice clean room. Stay USA, that sounds like a marketing catch phrase. Wonder if it will catch on?

Upvote 0

boatless indago

Boatless in Dago
Jul 15, 2012
sd ca
Name
lj
Boat
nomo boat
YES,great choice..and they used to run what they called "Fishermans Special" sorta hourly rate half a day or night thingee for those of us who may wish a nooner or otherwise Sancho's hang out!!! Enjoy your trip

Upvote 0

JnDoe

Almost A Member
Jan 13, 2010
US
Name
Jim
Boat
NA
Off season they offer free parking for 7 days or so. Room kinda pays for itself.

Upvote 0

JnDoe

Almost A Member
Jan 13, 2010
US
Name
Jim
Boat
NA
Something like Jan to May.

Upvote 0

backlashjack