Dolphin Motel toast

potuna

Unknown member
Jul 23, 2011
San Diego Ca. USA
Name
Pete
Boat
Royal Star, Excel, Royal Polaris, Red Rooster, Shogun and somebody else's.
Looks like the Dolphin is getting torn down this summer, to be replaced by something fancy and no doubt expensive.

Soda Pop

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
I just stayed there a couple of weeks ago. I really like the staff there....

Reactions: Retired1

RockHopperNCKA

Jan 25, 2017
Santa Rosa, CA
www.norcalkayakanglers.com
Name
Dustin
Boat
Do kayaks count?
That is terrible news. I've stayed there every single time I've ever taken a boat out of SD. The owner is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. When a bunch of us would rent rooms from him for our annual kayak mothership trips on the Islander, he would open up the building next door and let us stash our stuff in there and rig our kayaks in the parking lot even after we had checked out.

Fuckin' hell. Find something you really like and sooner or later it will get taken away one way or another.

luckylogger6

May 19, 2010
Northern CA
Name
Joe
Boat
none
That's too bad. The Dolphin was part of the whole experience. I loved the old school ledger book they kept reservations in yet never screwed up any of mine.

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
I stayed at the Dolphin before as well. Nothing bad to say about the place at all. Met the owner. Very nice guy. Hate to see it torn down. Tex

Blackfish

Sep 20, 2005
Monroeville
Name
Boat
toy

Fuckin' hell. Find something you really like and sooner or later it will get taken away one way or another.
umm, sounds like the owner SOLD the place? $$$$$$$$$

"....The hotel operator is going to try to work out something with the Port to allow any possible overflow parking to go across the street (Fisherman's Landing)."

Looks like the new place wants to share your parking area. LOL

I'm hoping that the landings have bought the property, and will put up a multi-story parking structure. They are only about a hundred parking places short.
Nope

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2018/jan/26/stringers-wrecking-ball-swing-toward-dolphin-motel/#

the_tunaman

Jun 28, 2017
Norco
Name
Roger Nelson
Boat
Ranger Z20
umm, sounds like the owner SOLD the place? $$$$$$$$$

"....The hotel operator is going to try to work out something with the Port to allow any possible overflow parking to go across the street (Fisherman's Landing)."

Looks like the new place wants to share your parking area. LOL
That is horrible news... Hopefully there will be input into a decision, if true, as there isn't enough parking as it is.

NoLDR

OG BD member
Mar 26, 2003
Sherman Oaks
Name
BRAD
Boat
29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
Oh man that suck have stayed with them for over 20 years when in town. You could even get a 2 -4 hour crash pad before driving back up to LA which was great after a short trip.

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
Bartlett, IL
Name
Greg
Boat
Independence
Crud. I loved staying there and walking through the landing the night before.

DoubletroubleII

Fish On!
Nov 18, 2008
Placerville, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
19' Harbercraft
Used to enjoy staying there, close to charters etc. The article above mentions 92 rooms and staff of 25 or approx 8 per shift, but only parking for 83. Thank god the landing across the street has plenty of extra parking spaces! Yippee!

potuna

Unknown member
Jul 23, 2011
San Diego Ca. USA
Name
Pete
Boat
Royal Star, Excel, Royal Polaris, Red Rooster, Shogun and somebody else's.
I'm hoping that the landings have bought the property, and will put up a multi-story parking structure. They are only about a hundred parking places short.
From what I read another fancy hotel.