Dolphin Motel closing Oct. 31...... It's the wrecking ball for Point Loma's Dolphin Motel

Soda Pop

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing

locvetter

Mar 24, 2015
Name
Loc Vetter
Boat
Loc Vetter Casting
Dolphin Motel

The Dolphin Motel across from the landing will close its doors Oct. 31. The reopen date is yet to be decided. What I hear is there going to level the old Motel and build a new one.
Read the link below...……….
https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2018/jan/26/stringers-wrecking-ball-swing-toward-dolphin-motel/#
Wish I had not read this. It says they are negotiating with the city to allow overflow parking at Fisherman's Landing!

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Agreed. If other business want the privilege of having their customers park there, they should all chip in to fund a more "share-worthy" parking structure. A few million $ per business would be a good start.
No need to chip in for a parking structure fund.Us the consumer will pay for the privilege to park so we can spend money at those local businesses.Anybody remember when parking was free at the big 3 landings ?

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Seaforth parking won't be free much longer,wait for it.

Reactions: marlyn

Shimano Penn

Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
I'm not deeply in to this but have been told that the somewhat wealthy and influential PL homeowners on the hill do not want a multi level parking structure devalueing their homes/ views. I get that, remains to be seen how much juice they have.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
No need to chip in for a parking structure fund.Us the consumer will pay for the privilege to park so we can spend money at those local businesses.Anybody remember when parking was free at the big 3 landings ?

I would love to have the parking concession....it would not be difficult to get financing for the project.....

Reactions: wils

Nebraska

Dec 20, 2016
Nebraska
Name
Craig Chamberlin
Boat
Intrepid
RIP dolphin. Sad day for you brother. It's sort of a hole but glad I stayed there before they flattened it.

Reactions: Soda Pop

Yella1

So Fishy
Aug 24, 2017
San Diego, CA
Name
Jarrod
Boat
Pay to Play
I'll miss the convenience and the fellowship we had in the courtyard as we did last minute gear building, and used the place as a great base camp for our 2 days prior to the trip shenanigans
Cool pictures. Definitely a LOT of history there over the years, eh?

SCHeadhunter

May 22, 2006
san clemente
Name
Tom
Boat
Sold to the man with $$$
That is some super valuable real estate down there and I’m surprised It haven’t been torn down sooner.
Yeah it’s convenient and the parking situation just sucks and will continue to suck. I’m just glad the fleet is still operating and that we still have some venues still open to us.

Last edited:

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
Sacramento
Name
Dave
Boat
The Organ
Stayed there several times. Was just there a few weeks ago. Sad to see it go. Will try to find a picture...

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
Wish I had not read this. It says they are negotiating with the city to allow overflow parking at Fisherman's Landing!
This article was written back in January and you haven’t heard any follow up about it. I strongly doubt they give up parking in a lot that is over 100% capacity for a major part of the year.

Reactions: locvetter

the_tunaman

Jun 28, 2017
Norco
Name
Roger Nelson
Boat
Ranger Z20
So going from being overflow parking for the landings, to using the landing parking lot as overflow... sad indeed.

Need more parking in the area, not less. Who the fuck is in charge of that project and environmental impact analysis?!?

Reactions: locvetter

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
Sacramento
Name
Dave
Boat
The Organ
dolphin.jpg

We had a bit of wild time on the town the night before launching on the Royal Star...haha..

Reactions: Soda Pop

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat
Gone but not forgotten
Stayed there once, didn't see the "charm" in the place myself. Fortunately I have hooked up with a friend in El Cajon for the nights before and after my trips......works out great!

Reactions: Blackfish

SlideRight

Been there...
Jul 4, 2008
So Cal
Name
Lew
Boat
ss minnow
Out with he old, in ......
Sorry to see it go, but the 60 or so years of painted over lead paint alone condemns it in today's world. :(

Last edited:

carcass

Apr 25, 2009
Cedar City Utah
Name
scott
Boat
None
The Dolphins charm was its location and cheaper price. My wife hated it. I didn't mind it at all.

Reactions: Bill W