RichG

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
As far as the Condor, I can't comment. The Queen is a good boat for local trips, I fished many years ago, but if you really want to get a taste of LR type fishing I would consider the Fleet that does the long trips as well. Not knocking the Condor, Queen, etc. Also I don't know how seasoned the crew is. The charter offer is nice, but in my opinion it's a bit early to predict if fish will be close or not. That why I said mid July on.

The Vagabond has several 3 and 4 day trips this summer as does the Searcher. I looked at the Red Rooster and they have several 4 days in July that don't appear full. Bob Mitchner's 3 day Charter at the end of August appears to have spots as well. Most of the boat do want 50% to save the spot.

Here's the links to the schedule for the three mentioned.

http://www.vagabondsportfishing.com/schedule/

http://www.redrooster3.com/trips.htm

https://www.searchersportfishing.com/schedule/

Find a date that works for you and then Telephone the office and ask if there are spots. If the RR is full they usually don't post the price.

dctalk523

Dec 28, 2007
County of Orange
Name
ChoeMan
Boat
Never
you like condor over pac queen? there is a 3 day limited load with diawa sponsorship has 6 spots in july i was thinking maybe that one? wonder if id have some luck with dorado and bft and yft and yt on that trip?
I’m on the PQ 3 day July trip. First time fishing the PQ but I’ve heard nothing but great things about the PQ, plus it’s a Daiwa sponsored trip. I’m sure they’ll have loaner gear and raffles for reels and gear.

dctalk523

Dec 28, 2007
County of Orange
Name
ChoeMan
Boat
Never
Looks like a lot of the trips on the Vagabond are filled or filling up quick. Better pull the trigger ASAP.

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
I’m on the PQ 3 day July trip. First time fishing the PQ but I’ve heard nothing but great things about the PQ, plus it’s a Daiwa sponsored trip. I’m sure they’ll have loaner gear and raffles for reels and gear.
I am not saying anything negative about the Queen or others. I have met the owner of the queen. I fished many times on over night trips, when the fish were close, many years ago. However it is not a boat that can do more than 3 or 4 days. If I was more local and wanted to do a short trip, I would look at the Queen. Several of the old "day boat" are no longer in San Diego. As to Daiwa or anyone else sponsoring a trip on the Queen or others, is great for the anglers.

All I am saying that the current "Long Range Fleet" has limited load of passengers, 2 or 3 person staterooms, great food, seasoned captain and crew, and can be out for 21 days if they wanted. We all had to start somewhere.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
pacific star has ultra limited loads open now. royal star is a better option
Sadly, the Pacific Star has been dealt a tough suspension for multiple violations of the Fish and Wildlife rules. Appears to be for five years.

dctalk523

Dec 28, 2007
County of Orange
Name
ChoeMan
Boat
Never
Sadly, the Pacific Star has been dealt a tough suspension for multiple violations of the Fish and Wildlife rules. Appears to be for five years.
That’s a death sentence. I wonder if someone will buy the operation out?

joshua mosley

Jun 23, 2017
temecula
Name
josua mosley
Boat
none
Looks like a lot of the trips on the Vagabond are filled or filling up quick. Better pull the trigger ASAP.
honestly i am just waiting on one thing before i do should know by next week I'm thinking of jumping on the vagabond that has calstar rods sponsored on it

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
I fished nearly all the aforementioned boats and you can't really make a bad choice as they are all great operations (I never fished the Vagabond but have wanted to fish it for nearly 20 years, gotta pull that trigger. Mick Lacky is a legendary captain).
best bet is to go June through Sept, any trip can yield really good fishing. But if you want to max long range experience (going to a far away place and have legit shots at 100lbers at Guadelupe), then do a 6-8 day trip. Guad has had incredible fishing these past 2-3 years and its been fairly recent that so many 100-150lbers have been so thick there.
If you just want to "Pull on lots of fish", any of the boats for 2-4 days will fit the bill. No boat is really head over tails better than the other, its the little stuff of each operation that is up to angler to decide on (skipper/room layout, food/fish handling, etc. etc).
Bottom line...GO FISHING.
Dave

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
Bartlett, IL
Name
Greg
Boat
Independence
Apart from boat choice, there are method-based ways to maximize fishing results while your skills catch up. For example, yo-yo for yellowtail is a great way to catch fish and avoid some of the tricky stuff that comes from fly-lining a bait.

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
A couple more things to consider about going on the LONG trips -- half of your trip is spent just getting down and getting back. You get good food, and almost always the company is great, but pounding at sea for hour after endless hour is not always a fun way to spend your vacation. And the weather can, and often does, have a big influence on the fishing. Also you can come down with some illness, other than the usual seasickness. I recently got a message from a buddy on a LR trip that came down with a flu-type bug that cost him the first three days of fishing when the boat got down to the lower banks. He got two tuna during the last two days to save his trip from being a bust, but it can happen! So book whichever trip you want, but take it for the experience, whatever happens, and don't plan to justify the cost by figuring that you will bring back hundreds of pounds of fish. Maybe, but maybe not.

Tunacolada

Tony
Sep 14, 2006
San Diego
Name
Tony
Boat
landlocked
Hopefully this helps a little. Personally go out with the attitude with just wanting to learn and if you catch a few that's just icing on the cake. For me when you put pressure on yourself to catch a big one, you'll be disappointed. Like most on here would say longer is better. But we all have financial obligations at home to take care of. For a first timer and budget think about a 2-4 day trip on maybe the Vagabond or Searcher, both have staterooms and both give you the long range experience. Having a stateroom for some can make all the difference in the experience. There boats tend to be a little bit less expensive. The target species will be yellowtail, yellowfin, dorado, and bluefin. Yellowtail 15-30lbs, Yellowfin 20-50lb, dorado 10-20lbs, bluefin could be anywhere from 25-150lbs who knows what will show this year. Just don't count on catching a big one, those fish bite different every day. All this depends on when you take your trip. If you can afford a long trip do 7+ days, you'll have a great time and learn a ton. Even think about booking a year ahead to save money. On these trips you will increase your chances to take home a great catch (variety) and maybe a fish of a lifetime. If you end up on a Guadalupe Island trip it can be really frustrating for even the best angler. Bites can be tough to come by, but the payoffs are big. Trophies from 75-150lb yellowfin, and jumbo yellowtail can be caught. It's more of a quality over quantity trip. The island is amazing to see if that is your thing. All the long range boats have their pluses and minuses, its more preference than anything. Royal Star, Red Rooster, American Angler, Intrepid, to name a few. Most important just go and have a good time. FYI most of the landings will work with getting your deposit down. Just give them a call.

Good fishing
Tony

Boats Ridden
Red Rooster-my go to
Independence
Royal Star
Vagabond
Searcher
American Angler-this year
SHORT TRIPS
Success
Grande
New Lo Ann
Pacific Queen
Legend
Constitution
Prowler
Condor
Ranger 85

Last edited:

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
I have fished a couple 5 days,We could fish Cedros then but the fishing was not good,we could not reach the ridge and ended up coming back and fishing Clemente.Not what I was looking for.Go short or go long as I said before.3 or 7 is now my choices.Tom

Latest posts