I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 2, 2013
torrance, ca
Name
Mike
Boat
Vagabond
Not sure where this belongs...

Has anyone caught or targeted Dogtooth Tuna. Where should I go? Any info appreciated.

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
May 18, 2020
Rockport Texas
Name
Oliver Cheng
Boat
cabo 45 sportfish
Southern Japan and northern aus. have caught them in both. What makes it even more fun is you have so many options when trying to catch them. Land based or offshore? live bait, pop/stick, or jig?

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
Not sure where this belongs...

Has anyone caught or targeted Dogtooth Tuna. Where should I go? Any info appreciated.
Shaun (Rivers) has caught them, I believe in Florida (not positive). And, as noted above, he caught some from shore. The teeth on them put bluefin teeth to shame!
Okay, maybe it wasn't Florida... an online search of their range doesn't include the Atlantic or gulf of Mexico.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesZ

JamesZ

Jun 25, 2018
Montana
Name
James Zachary
Boat
Kenner 23
Shaun (Rivers) has caught them, I believe in Florida (not positive). And, as noted above, he caught some from shore. The teeth on them put bluefin teeth to shame!
Okay, maybe it wasn't Florida... an online search of their range doesn't include the Atlantic or gulf of Mexico.
That's most likely blackfin tuna. Those doggy tuna are truly unique. So neat the different areas and ways to catch them. For whatever reason. They love hanging out on very shallow reefs. Voracious fish. 🙂

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
Bob Michner used to fish for dogtooth tuna somewhere near Fiji. He actually gave me the brochure of his outfitter which I've managed to lose. If someone on BD knows who Bob fished with, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only person who would be glad to know.

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
If they are not tuna, what are they? Must be some sort of jacks or macs...

Orca

シャチ, 鯱
Aug 16, 2003
Mira Mesa Ca
Name
Don
Boat
2359 Trophy, Irene Sea
They are actually in the Bonito family

nicodemus

Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
Largest member of the mackerel family. JamesZ is right, my buddy was catching blackfin in Florida; he's just talked about wanting to catch dogtooth. AKSalmon, here's the place my buddy Shaun is wanting to go one day: https://www.oceanbluefishing.com/

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
That's most likely blackfin tuna. Those doggy tuna are truly unique. So neat the different areas and ways to catch them. For whatever reason. They love hanging out on very shallow reefs. Voracious fish. 🙂
There the beast of the reef! Most videos I've seen they are released! I saw a video on a Nomad adventure fishing trip. It was insane! They had a seawolf underwater camera watching the trolling lures, it was in a really remote coral atoll, they ended up landing one well over 100 pounds! It was awesome watching it attack that lure! Definitely a bucket list kinda thing in my book!!!

$norkle

May 6, 2008
Corvallis,OR
Name
Bruce
Boat
In my dreams!
Largest member of the mackerel family. JamesZ is right, my buddy was catching blackfin in Florida; he's just talked about wanting to catch dogtooth. AKSalmon, here's the place my buddy Shaun is wanting to go one day: https://www.oceanbluefishing.com/
Mackeral are all members of the Scombridae---the tunas, bonito, skipkacks, mackerals of the Genus Scomber and Scomberomorus, bullet and frigate tunas, etc. Dogtooth tuna are not the largest of any taxon except their own genus. Have caught them in Seychelles (Aldabra Atoll)by trolling along the dropoff outside a barrier reef. Ridiculously tough fighters and quite tasty.

Reactions: nicodemus

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Would love to target a big one where they live. Surprised some of you LR dudes are not pursuing them more. Like a prehistoric dinosaur tunafish.

Caught a mini in the Southern Mentawais Islands Indonesia. Checked off the list. 12 day surfing boat trip. Caught a small Giant Trevally on a popper also in a reef key hole. Very strong fish

Came in from a evening surf session below. And the chef prepared the mini Dogtooth sashimi style, white meat. Delicious

Btw, For a surf trip. Hard to beat

149767-1218302780-e63ae6e31eff6fd8cf0cb6db2ea060e1.jpg
FB_IMG_1606799744844.jpg

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
torrance, ca
Name
Mike
Boat
Vagabond
There the beast of the reef! Most videos I've seen they are released! I saw a video on a Nomad adventure fishing trip. It was insane! They had a seawolf underwater camera watching the trolling lures, it was in a really remote coral atoll, they ended up landing one well over 100 pounds! It was awesome watching it attack that lure! Definitely a bucket list kinda thing in my book!!!
Bucket list for me too. Seems like Fiji may be the best place.

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
I caught them on the gbr on a nomad trip. I have never seen a fish like them. The big models (200+) hit like nothing I can even explain. Imagine the strike of a 200# wahoo but with 35# of drag. Then you’d have to point the boat to deep water and gun it or they break you off. We would increase the drag to 45# and they would accelerate. they can dump line faster than any fish I’ve seen. I’ve never seen anything like it. Really amazing fish.

There is a guy in souther Fiji that absolutely smashes giants. Look up Jagafiji on Instagram.

nicodemus

Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
Or check his FB page. Holy Shit!
1606963217269.png