jim isbell

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Anaheim, CA
    Name
    Jim Isbell
    Boat Name
    19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
    How do you feel about bringing the dog on the boat? And if you do, what about tethering? You hear all the time about a dog going overboard and "nobody noticed". But tethering isn't perfect either--I tethered mine and he went over, good part is I saw it happen so I ran to the bow, and hauled him back in. Fact was, he was dragging Underwater--so if I had not seen it, sure he would NOT have been gone, but he would not have been drowned. But for me, I just leave the dogs at home, I don't really think they enjoy it, it is more, in my opinion, people who want their dog with them, the dog--in my mind, especially now after what happened, figure it is best to just leave em home, where they are secured and comfortable.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    the far reaches of crazy
    Name
    Boat Name
    toy
    It's all about how the dog likes being on the boat. Some dogs enjoy it, and others get stressed. Kind of like people.

I have read some sad stories.

For me, I can't get my large dog up on the flybridge, so if I am solo or with just two people, the dogs stay home. For the most part, my dogs rarely go on the boat for the very reasons you listed. I don't need the extra worry or stress.

One time my dog decided to chase a seagull while I was chumming for makos. So I put him on a tether that was just long enough for him to reach the sides and the stern. But not get up or over them.

There are a few guys on here that take their dogs all the time. (Rodrage, theSlider, and AnglenAllan to name a few) The dogs appear to enjoy it. One guy even lets his dogs take a swim while on the pond. It's all about the dog and what the owner is comfortable with IMO.

For me, I prefer not to take them.

And if you do take them, a doggie life jacket is always a good idea.

Upvote 0

Laukia

boss
    Nov 30, 2004
    Carpinteria
    Name
    Dave R
    Boat Name
    28' Carolina Classic (sold) Pursuit 2350 FreeSwimmer
    What about the stress on the hips and elbows? Do guys only take their dogs when it's grease, flat ass calm? I have a friend who fished a lot (commercial/rec). He always took his female GSD. He had a pretty small boat and never had a problem that I remember while fishing. He joked (I think) that the dog could smell Salmon. Now, years later after the dog has passed, my buddy mentioned that he wondered if he had contributed to the hip dysplasia she suffered from towards the end. He seemed haunted by it. I tried to convince him otherwise.........but I do wonder. Just sayin'...........

Upvote 0

salty nuts

• Jun 2, 2004
    Camarillo
    Name
    Tim Mohawk
    Boat Name
    25 Davis Rockharbor Volvo D4-260 TailChaser
    Yeah I dont get these guys who dont have a damn life jacket on their dogs. You never know what can happen out there. At least give them a chance! They can only swim so long.

Reactions: Windy Bay
    Upvote 0

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
    Jul 3, 2004
    BD Outdoors
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    None
    Its no different than bringing a child on board , , put them in a pfd and be responsible by watching them .When driving , keep them in the cabin !!!

Reactions: Blackfish
    Upvote 0

jim isbell

• Jun 25, 2015
    Anaheim, CA
    Name
    Jim Isbell
    Boat Name
    Many years ago, on a pay boat, one of the deckhands had a GSP, we were fishing rock fish, and when some of em would bloat up, and float up unhooked, they would open the gate and the GSP would fetch em. I really thought that was foolish--the sharp fins puncturing the dogs' mouth and I kept thinking about sharks. The dog likes to go with you, but you are the one who (supposedly) has the brains; take care of your dog, that's all I'm sayin. My boat now has high sides--like one guy said, the dog goes in the closed cuddy when running, and when fishing he is alright on the deck, he can't jump out--too old and not inclined anyway, still most of the time I just leave him home.

Upvote 0

fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Aug 27, 2012
    long beach,ca.u.s.a.
    Name
    alby
    Boat Name
    None
    I have fished with my Jack's on every type of boat ..breed, size and attitude allowed these dogs to thrive whether on the seiner my skiff or the sportboat we had..even the bait docks..never had one fall off a boat or get injured..them ripping the gill plates out of every fish that came aboard also bled the fish for us ..
    Some dogs climb trees some ride skateboards some swim like champs etc.
    Recognizing your dogs abilities and limitations leads to a fuller life for you and your dog..

Upvote 0

mrkrabs

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 3, 2009
    Santee/ca/usa
    Name
    Marty
    Boat Name
    Lard ass
    :D

285010999_5519147518096347_4995578920117321543_n (1).jpg

Upvote 0

jim isbell

• Jun 25, 2015
    Anaheim, CA
    Name
    Jim Isbell
    Boat Name
    My dog only comes on bay cruises or lobstering nights in the bay. I took him fishing once and it was too stressful for both of us.
    The dog I had that bailed--did it in the bay--could not believe me eyes when I watch him go over--off the bow. He was tethered and by the time I ran up there, he was dragging--underwater. If I had not seen him go over, he would have drowned for sure. That is the argument for NOT tying on a tether.

• Wow
    Reactions: mrkrabs
    Upvote 0

miaf

• Apr 14, 2013
    Name
    Boat Name
    The dog I had that bailed--did it in the bay--could not believe me eyes when I watch him go over--off the bow. He was tethered and by the time I ran up there, he was dragging--underwater. If I had not seen him go over, he would have drowned for sure. That is the argument for NOT tying on a tether.
    Or at least tying on a tether short enough that it doesn't allow the dog the ability to get overboard.

Reactions: Blackfish
    Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat Name
    arima - the SLIDER
    If you want a dog on board your boat they should be acclimated early.

IMG_1447.JPG

Bolan in the garaged boat the second day I got her at 8 weeks. we played ball in the boat getting her used to it.

P1020664.JPG

First trip at about 3 month old. She got sick. After that I gave her Bonine, never again.

P1020871.JPG

She hangs with me when moving so no PFD. It is within reach for both of us.

IMGP2034.JPG

She does this everyday at the park so if she gets hip dysplasia it isn't due to being on the boat.

Blackbass.jpg

This is my last girl "Biscuit". She went out 90% of the time on my skiff for 16 years.

If Bolan didn't like going out I would never drag her out there. Did my best to get her used to the boat by starting early. If I was going to do some traveling or it was rough, both her and I would have on PFD's and I would tether to the ignition. If my dog wondered around the boat when underway I would never bring her. DO NOT ever tether your dogs in a boat!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    the far reaches of crazy
    Name
    Boat Name
    toy
    “DO NOT ever tether your dogs in a boat!”

Slider love ya. I disagree. If the dog can’t get hung up or hanged, it’s a great way to make sure the dog will stay in the boat. Every dog is different. Trust me. I didn’t imagine my dog would go after the seagulls line a frisbee.

But if on a tether, to your point, the dog better be in constant site . Even on a short tether.

Reactions: the SLIDER
    Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat Name
    arima - the SLIDER
    Haha 🤣

you're killin me smalls! 🎣

“DO NOT ever tether your dogs in a boat!”

Slider love ya. I disagree. If the dog can’t get hung up or hanged, it’s a great way to make sure the dog will stay in the boat. Every dog is different. Trust me. I didn’t imagine my dog would go after the seagulls line a frisbee.

But if on a tether, to your point, the dog better be in constant site . Even on a short tether.

I get your point Blackfish. Both my dogs leaned into me when underway and never left my feet. if I had a bigger boat and my dog walked the deck I would not bring her, that would be a distraction and concern for safety and being alert.

My real concern with tethering is what if the boat crashed, I got knocked out, the boat sunk and the dog never got a chance to survive. The other concern you addressed is the lenght of the tether. I would hate to see a dog overboard and dragged/drowned.

Bolan only goes on Solo trips. When I take somone out she stays at home.

Upvote 0

Farpoint

Sep 18, 2019
    Nanoose Bay, BC
    Name
    FarPoint
    Boat Name
    28 Skipjack, 733 Zodiac Hurricane
    I guess all depends on the animal, the boat, conditions, etc. In this pic, my dog has a life vest, is tethered to me, and I'm tethered to a kill switch. Tether is specific length.
    And she had a different setup when she rode in my Skater. When cruising in larger vessels, she is either in the cabin and / or under the watchful eye and hand of my wife.
    Short story - once she hears those engines - I better NOT leave the dock without her.
    She's 12 now - and the only incident she's had is falling in a few times from the dock.
    Take best care of our friends - I too have heard some sad tales.
    And make sure the life vest is capable of not only keeping them afloat comfortably - but actually picking them back out of the water. I swear mine doubles in weight and some of the cheap "Import" vests are not up to the task. Note the lifting handle straps that go around and under the belly, rather than just being stitched to the nylon shell material At the top.
    SafetyDog.JPG

Last edited:
    Reactions: whitecap72
    Upvote 0

KneppNasty

Snappin’ necks & cashin’ checks....
    Sep 10, 2017
    Seal Beach, CA
    Name
    Jeramy
    Boat Name
    Trophy 2509
    My dog, Jepetto, (a 13-year-old yorkie-poo) absolutely LOVES the boat…..but even more than that, he LIVES FOR a fresh one flopping on the deck!!

I take him fishing with me pretty much every time I go - whether I’m fishing for tuna in SoCal 110+ miles offshore on my 25’ walk-around, and even when fishing for halibut on the Cook Inlet in Alaska on my 19’ aluminum skiff.
    There’s nowhere Jepetto would rather be!

I have a dog bed for him that fits in the little cavity beneath my feet so he has a safe, dry, comfortable place to hunker down if conditions get sporty.
    And I do always carry a life jacket on board for him, although I’ve never had to use it.

Haven’t had any close calls with him as of yet, but he scares the living crap out of me sometimes when he goes to take a lap around the bow on my walk-around without me knowing, and I suddenly become struck with fear when I don’t see him and start thinking that I surely lost him and he is no longer on board.
    I suppose it definitely helps in my situation that Jepetto has a healthy fear of the water. I can’t see any way in hell that he would ever jump in the ocean on purpose….even if he saw a cheeseburger floating by ripe for the taking…..

Can’t even imagine what it will be like some day when the Petto-Phile is no longer around or able to come aboard with me.
    Will be devastatingly sad not having my loving little creature always on patrol to pick off and chomp to death any stray piece of bait that may hit the deck. (And after chomping the sardine or squid into submission, going and hiding it in the crevices of his bed for a snack later on….🤣)

F174FB05-E1CB-4D32-8C0B-407CB31154B8.jpeg
    3A0000F0-DB3E-4A7F-8364-8D49A1EEA3F0.jpeg
    745A525C-86A0-4243-B4EE-C27FB0380018.jpeg
    F3D81907-B6A2-47E4-B7E2-06D96C3FEF7B.jpeg
    508129D2-F363-4323-B2D4-E76ED322788D.jpeg
    C50CDC37-B6B1-4708-AFDF-024A4FB6E94B.jpeg
    7EB7FBFA-E405-48D4-A5B8-B8CF05F5ABB8.jpeg
    3DDAEF64-0416-4C11-A385-D89918C09CE4.jpeg
    01F5B9BE-187A-4655-BC6E-3B14E974C9A5.jpeg
    DB721A27-FAD5-4AA6-8007-283B77846497.jpeg
    437F6F00-5A7C-40E2-8D47-62264DA0B120.jpeg
    1B9301C9-C650-44C2-9289-8206D6B155E0.jpeg
    15FF30C8-0876-4766-B7D2-E41547FF0C37.jpeg
    597070EE-836F-4730-AF67-5CE328D8F9BC.jpeg

Upvote 0

theman772

Almost A Member
    Nov 25, 2011
    el monte
    Name
    sherman
    Boat Name
    Blackman Outerbanks
    I would tether my dog my boat might be a little different as I have a cabin so I will put her in there when I’m traveling but she usually stays with me lots of guys have cattle dog I think they do very well out there and I do love spending time with my girl

1F19CA74-2932-49F5-BBD4-72EB49EFD05E.jpeg

Upvote 0