super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Instead of starting a new thread, I threw out a question for those of you who use COMFORTIS for your dogs. Please see reply # 24

Damn Fleas.... my dog needs flea treatment again, and I just went to Costco where I normally buy Frontline, only to find it's now around $70.00!! I don't remember it ever being anywhere near that expensive before..... anybody have a connection for Advantage or Frontline Flea Treatment?

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
Comfortis..1 chewable pill once a month..it's approx. 70.00 for a 6 month supply..available through your vet..or get the frontline for the largest dog..for example if your dog weighs 50-60 lbs, get the frontline for dogs between 100 and 120 lbs, then just divide the treatments in half...you'll get a 6 month supply for a 3 month cost.

Upvote 0

BiggestT

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Comfortis..1 chewable pill once a month..it's approx. 70.00 for a 6 month supply..available through your vet..or get the frontline for the largest dog..for example if your dog weighs 50-60 lbs, get the frontline for dogs between 100 and 120 lbs, then just divide the treatments in half...you'll get a 6 month supply for a 3 month cost.

X2! Went through this earlier this spring. The Frontline from the PetCo or PetSmart failed in a big way. The vets sell a stronger version of Frontline, but we put them on Comfortis and no further problems.

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Toss em in the salt. Fleas die in the salt.

Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
Sep 6, 2005
Escondido
Name
Buster Brown
Boat
28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
Mike....have you treated your yard and house?......

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Mike....have you treated your yard and house?......

Negative Frank. I have a nearby neighbor that is one of those cat freaks (nothing against cat people), that literally has a buttload of cats in his yard. This couple has went as far as setting up numerous tents and shelters in their yard for these cats. Needless to say, these cats visit my yard often, so I am not sure if there is an effective way to rid the yard of fleas. If there is I am listening.

I posted about this Flea treatment stuff a while back with great results, and that is how I came to find buying my Frontline at Costco, but the price back then was nowhere near what I saw today, which is why I am trying to see if anybody has any insight on places to get Flea treatments for a good deal.

I appreciate the replies from everyone else as well..... thanks!

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Ok, this was just passed on to me by a friend.... looks like it has some pretty smoking deals on flea treatments as well as other stuff.... check it out.

This place sells tons of flea treatments and other products at up to 50% off, plus I believe you get free shipping on orders of $35 or more.

Tons of different brands.... check it out as it looks like I will probably order from here now. www.petcarerx.com or call 1-866-PetCareRx.

Upvote 0

embo

I've been recommended for a recommendation...
Aug 25, 2006
Name
n/a
Boat
17' Bluewater
I've heard rumors of counterfit Advantage coming outta Cosco, more than once. 3x on the Confortis.

Upvote 0

widgeon

Ex-Hunter and gatherer
Jan 12, 2010
Kurt's neighborhood
Name
Tony
Boat
Tarpon 140
I use K9 advantix on my pup. It claims to have better overall bug avoidance. I have yet to try it, but if you google something like " generic k9 advantix" there is a comparable product ( out of Canada I believe) at a fraction of the cost. Been a while since I did the search, but I think it was about 1/3 the cost. Check it.

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
Jan 19, 2007
San Clemente
Name
Tim
Boat
None
I get my Frontline from 1800PetMeds...free shipping and very competitive pricing. They seem to have everything for dogs and cats and are constantly running specials and coupons

Upvote 0

Mikieb

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 8, 2011
Huntington Beach, Calif.
Name
Mike
Boat
Crash & Burn
Comfortis is awesome, I've never seen a flea on her ever. If you buy it at the humane society it's cheaper than the vet. I also give my dog 2000mg. of fish oil daily & her skin is very healthy. Just sayin. :shithappens::shithappens:

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Comfortis is awesome, I've never seen a flea on her ever. If you buy it at the humane society it's cheaper than the vet. I also give my dog 2000mg. of fish oil daily & her skin is very healthy. Just sayin. :shithappens::shithappens:

It sounds like this Comfortis is pretty good. About how much are you paying at the vet for this?

It also sounds like a product called Revolution is pretty good. Anybody using it? http://www.petcarerx.com/pcrx/ProductPages/product.aspx?pid=10774&k=Revolution

What's up with this bogus weather? A small two day window to fish just got shot down! This is the summer of wind this year!

Upvote 0

Mikieb

May 8, 2011
Huntington Beach, Calif.
Name
Mike
Boat
Crash & Burn
It sounds like this Comfortis is pretty good. About how much are you paying at the vet for this?

It also sounds like a product called Revolution is pretty good. Anybody using it? http://www.petcarerx.com/pcrx/ProductPages/product.aspx?pid=10774&k=Revolution

What's up with this bogus weather? A small two day window to fish just got shot down! This is the summer of wind this year!

I buy mine at the humane society in Garden Grove it's like 68$ for six pills, 1 pill every 28 days it's also great for dogs that get wet all the time because it works internally.

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
Just saw Frontline at Wallmart for $49.00 tonight.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
a few years back my neighbors dog got fleas....we flea bathed the dogs, then used this,

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+6+7200&pcatid=7200

and we treated the yard with a over the counter spray. it worked great. it also took care of tic issues.

Edit: we used it for about six month, never had a flea or tic issue. As the dogs got older, they didn't go to the canyons anymore, so we stopped useig it...we have never had a flea issue since. Even with our new (adopted 4 years ago) lab. He has never been treated for fleas or tics... he has bad hips, so he doesn't go to the canyon either

Upvote 0

ahidog

10000 atta boys
Sep 15, 2004
San Diego
Name
Tom
Boat
105', Camcraft, 85', Ditmar, 65' Noreck
We had problems last year with the Cosco frontline switched to comfortis and never looked back...We always feed it with a full meal as some dogs don't tolerate it well.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
The only problem with treating the yard is that I have two African Sulcata Tortoises that roam the yard and feed. I have had these two before my two girls were born (probably over 12 years) and the girls would be devestated if anything ever happened to them.

These things should outlive all of us.

Upvote 0

Mikieb

May 8, 2011
Huntington Beach, Calif.
Name
Mike
Boat
Crash & Burn
We had problems last year with the Cosco frontline switched to comfortis and never looked back...We always feed it with a full meal as some dogs don't tolerate it well.

COMFORTIS WILL WORK , FLEAS CAN'T LIVE ON YOUR DOG SO F THE NEIBORS & HIS CATS , IT'S WORTH THE MONEY, I WRITE SOME CRAZY POST BUT IM FOR REAL ABOUT THIS.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Question for those of you who use COMFORTIS Flea Treatment.

Have any of you done what Debi was suggesting, with that being buying a larger dose and then splitting it in half? Example: If you have a 20-40lb dog, you buy the 40-80lb dose and split it in half.

The savings are substantial, and your getting twice the dosage...... seems like a good call to me, as I cant understand why the price is the same (for Frontline) for dogs ranging in size from 10lbs all the way up to 120lbs. The price only climbs slightly with Comfortis as the dogs weight goes up.

Is there any risk in doing this?

Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
Sep 6, 2005
Escondido
Name
Buster Brown
Boat
I don't use Comfortis because does nothing for ticks.....I don't get fleas for some reason but the ticks are off the hook this year.....I use Advantix II ....it costs me $12 per dose for the month......$48 dollars and free shipping.....and that's for the largest dose they give.....

Upvote 0

SALTYDAWG

Advertiser
Advertiser
Aug 1, 2003
Casa DE Oro
www.saltydawgcustomrods.com
Name
Bill
Boat
sold it
Question for those of you who use COMFORTIS Flea Treatment.

Have any of you done what Debi was suggesting, with that being buying a larger dose and then splitting it in half? Example: If you have a 20-40lb dog, you buy the 40-80lb dose and split it in half.

The savings are substantial, and your getting twice the dosage...... seems like a good call to me, as I cant understand why the price is the same (for Frontline) for dogs ranging in size from 10lbs all the way up to 120lbs. The price only climbs slightly with Comfortis as the dogs weight goes up.

Is there any risk in doing this?

Do it all the time Mike by the biggest dose and split it, I also only use it half as often as they say to with no fleas. Quit sleeping with your dog and giving it fleas :D

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
I don't use Comfortis because does nothing for ticks.....I don't get fleas for some reason but the ticks are off the hook this year.....I use Advantix II ....it costs me $12 per dose for the month......$48 dollars and free shipping.....and that's for the largest dose they give.....

Gotcha! Yeah I know you have the BIG BOYS Frank, so I suppose this question wouldn't apply to you. It does make sense to me to buy a 6 month supply for a dog twice the size and split the treatments in half.

On the other hand, It doesn't make sense to me when I see the same price for all 6 month dosages of Frontline, which are sold in different packages for dogs of all sizes ranging from 10lbs to 120lbs. I mean obviously the dosage must be more for larger dogs, and yet the price shows no difference for all sizes?? Splitting the dosage seems to be a smart thing to do to me..... just seeing if anybody else does this.

As far as COMFORTIS..... it just seems like a very solid and proven product from what I am reading, and the beef pill form is something I like as well. It's said to take effect on the fleas within 30 minutes, with 100% effect on fleas in 4 hours...... the stuff is sounding pretty good to me.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Do it all the time Mike by the biggest dose and split it, I also only use it half as often as they say to with no fleas. Quit sleeping with your dog and giving it fleas :D

Cool..... thanks Bill. I think I am going to do this then.

No sleeping with this dog..... he's a handful and a half :D. I bought this Jack Russel for my oldest daughters 5th birthday, and even though I am a big dog lover, this dog just tests me all of the time. I'm more of a medium to big dog guy, but I was talked into buying this for my daughter by three women at the time LOL

Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
Sep 6, 2005
Escondido
Name
Buster Brown
Boat
Cool..... thanks Bill. I think I am going to do this then.

No sleeping with this dog..... he's a handful and a half :D. I bought this Jack Russel for my oldest daughters 5th birthday, and even though I am a big dog lover, this dog just tests me all of the time. I'm more of a medium to big dog guy, but I was talked into buying this for my daughter by three women at the time LOL

I had a Jack Russel run up to Beau and bite him on his cheek at Fiesta Island.....he looked at me like...well can I get him?.....I just told him stay....the little fucker ran back to his owner and she said sorry.....I said aren't you glad I have a well trained dog.......

Upvote 0