OILAGER

Hecho en Estados Unidos
Apr 27, 2006
M Class Planet / Riverside
Name
Wayne
Boat
Grady White 228 Seafarer "GOTTA GET'M"
Is there a possibilty that the sportfishing industry is "overstored" i.e. too many boats?
Is the ratio of casual/dedicated anglers per boat the same as it was 12 years ago before the economy went on a credit induced bender? I'm pretty sure that most BD'rs are more than the casual angler and make it a priority in their budget to get as much fishing time as money allows, but I know many people, while they like fishing, do not put it as high on the "gotta do" list as they used to.
We are seeing the same effect in the general economy as the Circuit Citys and Mervyn's go under and the wait at Outback on a Saturday night goes from 90 minutes to 10 minutes, and if you've noticed they're going all out to make sure the customer has nothing to complain about. It sure is a lot different than 2 years ago.

I expect there is still a lot of "shaking out" left for many types of businesses in this shitty economy-the bailout/stimulus bullshit isn't designed to help the little guy, but the little guys that survive should eventually see some stabilization and then profitability.

OFN

COB
Mar 18, 2007
Leona Valley
Name
Nat
Boat
Striper 2150, Indie
Wish I could go fishing. Normally do one long range every year and then do at least one overnight to 2 1/2 day per month. My company shut their doors in California a couple months ago. I had worked there over 12 years. They went bankrupt first so no severance pay. 60 years old trying to find a job and wishing I was fishing. Believe me I feel your pain.

Full Eclipse

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 22, 2006
Escondido
Name
Steve
Boat
24 Ft Skipjack Flybridge "Boomer"
Sadly after this season, I project there will be many boats for sale.

Even more than now? Its amazing some of the boats on the market right now Love to buy one of them 26 Skippys

Love to be able to explore more, but Im hoping the tuna will come to withtin 30-40miles like they did last couple years Just trying to time the 302! Im thinkin in the next two weeks.

especially not when your boat keeps making you fix shit.
LOL
Its no fun unless you work on em!

Headshot

Aug 21, 2004
Lake Forest, CA.
Name
Tim
Boat
05' 2601 SeaSwirl Striper
there's already been some sporties hit hard and repo'ed this year! People are trying to keep their homes let alone participate in a sport or hobby! Take a ride thru any harbor on the west coast and observe just how many for sale signs are on boats! My problem is work and all of my ho's work! Just wonder how much its affecting the tourney this weekend?

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
18' Crestliner Superhawk, 14' Tracker "Fish Git' RRR"
To the question,,, Yes.

I had the choice of fixing the truck or going on the Legend trip yesterday where they got into the albies pretty good,,, I chose wrong and fixed the truck. (Ever feel like kicking yourself in the ass?)

bushhopper

May 15, 2005
riverside
Name
mark hampton
Boat
none yet
myself, been out several times this year and im going next wed on 1.5 on vagabond, i'm not rich, but i refuse to let this economy get me down, i can not take money with me when i die, so play hard drink and eat well and live happy, tell the wife sorry, she will get over it, but, the more incentives you give out the more fisherman you will see! this is a proven fact, last years fuel sercharge was total B.S., and this nickel and dime shit at the docks is too. my advise to you boat owners, one TOTAL charge up front and disscount on all your beverage's, ($3.00 for a beer?) for what thats worth!

Kareem Korn

Muffin Monster
Feb 17, 2005
State of Confusion
Name
Tim
Boat
Longboard, 15' Calibogie ("Bogart")
I think guys are being more choosey with their money.

Exactly, and that's why the one's that are going to make it thru this are the one's that are going back to finding creative ways to keep and get new buisness. The one's that have the adopted buisness practice of treating a customer like shit with the assumption that there are five more lined up to spend money is going to put them down. Even car dealers are chasing you out the lot while your driving away to throw deals at you again. Five years ago you couldn't even find one on the lot to help you out because they were working five other customers. It's the one's that treated a customer good and ran a good buisness that are remembered in these tough times.

Crusty Rod

Jun 2, 2003
s calif
jimparker.us
Name
captain
Boat
25' Farallon - reel passion
We will be out this week end with two new batteries, a new bait pump. We will call you in on our nhot albie bites, thanks for all your post Markus. Yep this economy sucks, at least fuel prices have stopped going up.

gpomplin

Oct 13, 2006
Santee
Name
gary
Boat
A BIG RUBBER DUCK
We will be out this week end with two new batteries, a new bait pump. We will call you in on our nhot albie bites, thanks for all your post Markus. Yep this economy sucks, at least fuel prices have stopped going up.
Went up 4 cents this morning!!!!!!:1041677399:

I hate seals

Advertiser
Advertiser
Aug 24, 2004
SD
Name
Bryan Z
Boat
36' Hatteras
Sadly after this season, I project there will be many boats for sale.

Even more than now? Its amazing some of the boats on the market right now Love to buy one of them 26 Skippys

Love to be able to explore more, but Im hoping the tuna will come to withtin 30-40miles like they did last couple years Just trying to time the 302! Im thinkin in the next two weeks.

especially not when your boat keeps making you fix shit.
LOL
Its no fun unless you work on em!
Sport Boats. The original thread was about boats that go fishing with customers. Not private boats.

But yes, there will be more private boats for sale as well. I've found numerous 42' Bertrams out there for under $100K. El Gato 3? :)

G Ride

Sep 6, 2007
Clairemont
Name
Garrett
Boat
2320 Pilothouse
Looks like I'm late to this thread and I didn't bother to read any responses, but I've fished every weekend but one since the end of May. I've burned a lot of fuel for basically nothing (did hidden bank and 238 last weekend on Saturday, and as usual it was one of those "you should have been here yesterday"). I'm not giving up, probably going to do the 60-80 mile run again on Sunday, but it's slow this year so far. If it's like a "normal" year, then the fish won't really be here or settled in until after the 4th of July (the older salties should be able to attest to that). In any event I think fishing this year is like the US in general. Everyone is on the sidelines waiting for the stock market to rally or the housing market to hit bottom or another big sale or price cut before the make any moves on anything. Besides I'd rather avoid the parking lots and armada of boats out there. Save your fuel, leave the fish to me, and hit the water after the 4th.

Stoughty Rods

Jul 11, 2004
Upland, CA
www.stoughtonprinting.com
Name
Mike
Boat
"Undertow" - 24' Wellcraft
Once again, I think the economy is the one to blame for the lack of anglers. But they will come.

Markus, 5 friends and I fished with you last year, (7/4). It was such a great trip we were talking about it during the whole off season and had planned on doing the same trip again this year on the 4th. My buddy and I caught 10 albies each that day and they were all a good grade of fish. To top it off, getting to see the firework show in the harbor really made it a trip to remember.

I have 4 people signed up already with another 4 to 6 people to sign up this evening. What is the minimum amount of passengers needed to have the boat leave the dock?

TurdRoller

What happened?
Mar 22, 2004
Santee
Name
kyle
Boat
Tribute
last years fuel sercharge was total B.S.
you have no clue.

last year's fuel surcharge hardly even covered the cost of fuel for the boats! we top off around 300-600 gallons every OTHER DAY. and when diesel is pushing $4.50-$5.00 a gallon, you do the math on the fuel bill per month.

the crews didn't want fuel surcharges any more than passengers did, as this took potential fillet/tip money away. everybody hurt from last year's fuel prices, so get over it

gbinazz

May 18, 2009
Phoenix, az
Name
geo
Boat
none
With most people the economy simply is not a good excuse to not be in on this action. 10% unemployment means 90% of the people are working.

If you want it to happen you can make it happen. I will be fishing tomorrow and I am driving from Phoenix to do it. I am not rich, in fact I lose a day of wages when I go fishing ....no pension...401k down like everyone elses.....The President wants cap and trade......I say let's save and fish. :)

BDXL

Jun 25, 2007
CORONA
Name
MATT
Boat
16'CRESTLINER,SUPERHAWK
Its really bad guys! Worst my buisness has seen in over 35 years! Had to lay of everyone including my wife! I reall hope it gets better soon or I will be screwed!

ECMFab

A Salt Weapon
Mar 24, 2008
Oceanside/CA/USA
Name
Ethan
Boat
Sold her :(
I sure didnt want to fish this year. Thats why I went and broke both wrists.

ezsmith

Aug 8, 2008
FULLERTON, CA.
Name
Zac Smith
Boat
need one
I am ready to go fish just no one to fish with I dont have a boat but I do love to fish and have the time pm me if you need some one

bushhopper

May 15, 2005
riverside
Name
mark hampton
Boat
none yet
the B.S. is what i allready said,one total charge up front and you do the math, if the boat cost X amount for fuel crew etc. then do the math and sell spots for what they are, dont fucking add fuel surgecharge, monny for a bunk (marcus) permits taxes etc etc etc, and while were on the subject of math, it cost less than $.80c for a beer at any discount outlet (costco, smart and final, you get the picture) and its up around $3.00 per on these boats. hum could that come down? they might sell more and tips could be higher as well, I LOVE TO TIP ANYTIME I RESEAVE EXALENT SERVICE, but if i'm getting in the ass up front its bad juju, if you tell me mark its $400.00 for this day and half trip, its my choice to choose, but sell me a trip for $350.00 and "oh by the way thre is this and that and its more $ when i get to the dock, that bites. hell its just my opinon, for what thats worth, bushopper is out,

ps. just got a call from my buddy jimmy c, we are going the distance fri night on his 30ft pro cat, guess what i know wat it cost right now!

spize909

Mar 14, 2004
i.e.
Visit site
Name
jeff
Boat
no
With most people the economy simply is not a good excuse to not be in on this action. 10% unemployment means 90% of the people are working.

If you want it to happen you can make it happen. I will be fishing tomorrow and I am driving from Phoenix to do it. I am not rich, in fact I lose a day of wages when I go fishing ....no pension...401k down like everyone elses.....The President wants cap and trade......I say let's save and fish. :)
thank god I'm one of the 90% that is employed..........but what you fail to realize (lucky for you I guess) is that I haven't had a raise or a bonus in over 3 years. Bonus money = fishing money. I'm sure this is the same for most of us that are finding it tough this year.
It kills me to not be able to fish when fish are biting. I have one day and half charter for sure and beyond that...it'll be tough. Usually do at least 3 2-days and multiple PB trips a year. I'm going to start moaping around the house and see if my wife will make me go fishing.

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
the B.S. is what i allready said,one total charge up front and you do the math, if the boat cost X amount for fuel crew etc. then do the math and sell spots for what they are, dont fucking add fuel surgecharge, monny for a bunk (marcus) permits taxes etc etc etc, and while were on the subject of math, it cost less than $.80c for a beer at any discount outlet (costco, smart and final, you get the picture) and its up around $3.00 per on these boats. hum could that come down? they might sell more and tips could be higher as well, I LOVE TO TIP ANYTIME I RESEAVE EXALENT SERVICE, but if i'm getting in the ass up front its bad juju, if you tell me mark its $400.00 for this day and half trip, its my choice to choose, but sell me a trip for $350.00 and "oh by the way thre is this and that and its more $ when i get to the dock, that bites. hell its just my opinon, for what thats worth, bushopper is out,

ps. just got a call from my buddy jimmy c, we are going the distance fri night on his 30ft pro cat, guess what i know wat it cost right now!
The reason for the fuel surcharge is that the bait haulers get a percentage of the ticket revenue, but a fuel surcharge was excluded. For awhile there, those that could would refuel in Ensenada at $2.30 a gallon, yet they were still imposing the fuel surcharge. So they were making out on that play. That people are still smarting from the experience should tell you that most did not approve of it. Poor customer service at best and memories are long.

Killerskiff

The end is near
Jul 5, 2008
Hootervillle
Name
JD
Boat
Obliviousone
It's expesive to pay a lot of money just to maybe get lucky and just catch a fish or two. Even then fishing open party boats is always a battle with other anglers. Personally I fished the cattle boats for years and got sick and tired of fighting just to get a good bait let alone hook and land a fish. I know they have to make up the whole year in three months or so and it's very expensive for the average Joe.

Now say hello to the depression and we still aint seen nothing yet. People are losing thier jobs, houses, cars etc.. at an alarming rate not to mention credit card debt! I don't think spending a substancial amount of money is in many angelers budgets anymore. All I can say is good luck and hope for the best.

My two bits

NukeDawg

Mar 27, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
dub-dub-dub
Boat
17' Arima Sea Angler
The economy definitely doesn't help. Even though 90% are still employed, 75% percent of them are worried they are next. In these times, people tend to hoard cash, and i guess from a family budget perspective, fishing is a luxury (although on numerous occasions i've tried to convince the wife its a necessity).

Consumer spending is down 10% from last year. If the charters are seeing a drop > 10%, then it might be as markus alluded, that maybe fewer want to fish and/or i think there may be a perceived value problem. Its early, chances for fish are few, and while i always think a boat ride can be much of the enjoyment, there are definitely cheaper ways that don't include fish. I tend to agree that bushhopper is on to something with the fixed price schedule, but i'd take it a step further (more on that in a minute). For me the 1.5 days are perfect, ample time on the grounds and no sleep time wasted trying to catch an early boat and coming home a zombie. I like leaving at night, and showing back up in the morning. Good living. But looking at my costs every time i do it, its always close to $400. New terminal tackle, maybe new line, food, boat fare, parking, galley fee, cleaning fees (i always hope), and tips. So even though the boat fare sounds reasonable, the experience always is more, and that doesn't help the charters. $400, i have to think about it. $250...that's a GOOD night out with dinner/drinks/sitter, something familiar, and doesn't give me pause.

So my recommendation is to give in to group buying. I'm assuming a trip out is essentially a fixed cost proposition with small variances as passengers increase for amount of bait consumed and more fuel spent. If thats true, publish the minimum to go out. Hypothetically, i'm not leaving the dock until i collect $1000. so if 1 peson goes their ticket is $1000. if two people go the ticket is $500, etc. now as more people go, make the ticket prices decrease in brackets such that you still make more money the more people go, but its getting cheaper for the individuals as the group gets larger. hypothetically, same scenario as above, if 10 people go, its $120 a ticket, that means the boat collects $1200 instead of the initial $1000. It might not be the profit structure you are used to, but it might cause a domino of people joining because it makes it more affordable and in range with their cash. And for the people who would have paid more, now they can pocket the coin and save it for the next trip. lather, rinse, repeat. the other side effect deals with the crowded boat perception (more on this later), if you don't like crowds, buy the more expensive ticket on the less croweded boat. Conversely, if the crowd was unruly, at least they helped save you some money.

I have fished on both the new lo-ann and the holiday and can say they are excellent boats that i would definetly recommend. By and large i have had very few problems with the guests. There is always going to be something that happens. Offshore fishing is a high intensity sport. Add addrenaline, a boat, fish, and sharp objects, and someone is bound to not make a less than desirable decision. In general both staffs are great at keeping the peace, and sometimes just asking the douche bag next to you what he is doing is enough to make them perk up. If you have had horrible experiences on open party boats, try the new lo-an or holiday. Or tell me i'm full of shit.

jimarsh2002

Jun 13, 2008
Camarillo/Ca/ventura
Name
Jim Marsh
Boat
22,skipjack,jobsite
I don't think a lot of people no how bad the economy is for some of us, especially in whats left of the construction industry. We want to go, but just can't justify it, when there is no sign of change anytime soon.