DOES TIBURON MAGNUM 20T TOPLESS FRAME FIT TLD 20A?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by geebee, Oct 16, 2018.

1. geebee

geebee My Member is Well-Known

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    i'm wondering if a Tiburon MAGNUM T20 topless frame fits a newer Shimano TLD20A 2-speed fishing reel without any modifications?

it would be great if anyone who has actually installed a MAG 20 Tiburon reel frame on a TLD 20 A reel could respond and maybe save me some time (and headache) if it works or not

if it "just fits" - or - if becomes a project - or - if the newer reel doesn't quite line up with the older Tib T20 frame

2. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    the reel is currently assembled with older TLD 20 parts and functioning fine

i am considering putting a pretty new TLD 20A in the frame - to make it topless - and selling all the leftover parts

PS: i will need to buy the used Tiburon reel to see it it works or not

3. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    i called Tiburon 714-546-7553 and asked the manufacturer the question - does their tibron mag 20 t reel frame fit the newer Shimano TLD 20 II speed A model

was told "i have no idea, we haven't made the 20T in 20 years" (i can't imagine this question never coming up there before to be so clueless)

but i'm giving up on trying to fit a mag t 20 tiburon reel frame kit to a newer TLD A model reel ... i really like the TLD 2 speeds but that wide branded top bar plate is a bear to fish and keep a level line wind across the spool - one piece machined aluminum topless frames are the way to go

the good condition converted TLD20II - TiburonMAG20T reels are great reels at around $200-$250 - i really like them - but i think paying a bump more for a used or new Avet HX with a warranty and parts support are a better deal in the long run (should one ever decide to try and sell them)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  4. gecsr1

gecsr1 28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
    wow do you always talk to yourself on the internet.....LOL,,

MATTANZA and BluefinCurly like this.
  5. fujirose

fujirose Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jim Fujitani
    Boat:
    21' Seaswirl
    I'm going out on a limb a little. Yes, it will fit.

According to my records, I bought a new TLD20IIA in 2008. The tackle shop that carried the Mag 20T frame handled the conversion, gratis, a few months later. The tech wasn't sure it would work at first, but it fit and works fine. If I could find my original TLD20IIA frame in my garage, I could be absolutely sure of the match.

I own two Tiburon Magnum 20T topless framed TLD20II reels. These are my go-to reels for Isla Guadalupe YFT. The upgraded reels were cheaper than any similar size metal 2-speed reel I could get at that time.

finsane and geebee like this.
  6. yakdout

yakdout Professional

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    s and hoes
    If it doesn’t fit get a willfish tackle frame

titan05 likes this.
  7. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    This thread is the only info that hits my question on google so perhaps it will help others

thanks, i found this BD complete info on Will Fish Tackle one piece aluminum frames for TLD2 20s and 30s

I have no doubt the WFT kit is comparable in quality and function or better to the Tiburon frame kit

still it adds at least $180 to the $275 I already have invested in my Shimano TLD20AII reel ... that's HX Raptor price territory for the same line capacity, all aluminum body, exceeded hi-speed gears and dual drags

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    yakdout likes this.
  8. dockrat88

dockrat88 no fish pulling against me shall prosper

Name:
    tony
    Boat:
    whatever floats
    I emailed Will Fish earlier this year as I was looking to do the same conversion and the response I received stated that they were out of the 20 and wouldn’t be making any until next year at the earliest

geebee likes this.
  9. lkatdpelicanfly

lkatdpelicanfly Lizard Fish Slayer

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    Kayak
    You know, if you got a used older model 20 with the topless tib frame, tried it, and it didn't work...you could always resell it and get probably what you paid for it or close. I picked up a used older tld 20 with non-topless tib frame off this board a few years back for $150 and it works beautifully. I think the only advantage of the newer A model over the old is the ARB bearings and a stronger composite graphite material, but if you have the tib frame...you really don't necessarily need the stronger material due to the better frame and freespool. I think all the other internal parts are pretty much the same except maybe some slightly different little c-clips or dog spring parts that shimano discontinued.

10. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    yea, i'm not up for $250 try out project - what i've seen converted TLD-20 II reels don't fly off the shelves in the used for sale market unless the seller takes a soaking on his investment

most the sellers i've contacted over the past months seem content with either fishing them or hanging onto them i guess hoping the price will go up

not bad mouthing the Shimano TLD reels or conversion upgrades at all - a topless aluminum frame would really sweeten my TLD 20 two speed fishing experience which is why i looked into it (and i envy those who fish them)

11. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    PS:

the guy at Will Fish Tackle company would most likely know if the original TLD 20 frame and side plate are interchangeable out of the box with the newer A model parts - if the kits are seamlessly plug and play on both generations of reels

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  12. Yellowtail Dan

Yellowtail Dan I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Excel, American Angler
    Call Ken at Kens Custom reel in O’side. He will be able to answer your question

geebee likes this.
  13. fujirose

fujirose Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jim Fujitani
    Boat:
    21' Seaswirl
    OUCH!! My new TLD20IIA/Tib Mag20 topless came in at around $350, total. And my second, used, about $250, and that was after a bearing replacement. Both have the upgraded 50 drag plates and washers. I also have a TLD30II/WFT frame that I've put about $300 in (without a 50 plate as I recall).

Alan Tani's opinion is that the standard TLD20II doesn't need a frame upgrade as long as it is fished reasonably and without using the harness lugs. Frame failure is more likely with the wider TLD30II. Using higher test braided spectra lines with upgraded frames (and drag plates and washers), increases the possibility of spool spindle failure.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Jim

geebee likes this.
  14. MATTANZA

MATTANZA old man of the sea, in training.

Name:
    RICK
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
    sell it all and buy a used tiagra or international. the clickers suck on tlds, and get worse with an aluminum frame.