Does Bob Sands Knot Really Require 12 Turns

suaf

Sep 8, 2003
San Diego
Name
Scott
Boat
Reel With It!, 23ft Sport Craft
I've just discovered the Bob Sands knot and really like the profile it presents for going through the guides compared to the RP knot, which is my current go to. I haven't fished with the Bob Sands yet, only practiced many times sitting on the couch. I think I've got it down. It cinches up real nice and looks good to me. I'm practicing with 40 lb mono and 65 lb spectra. Looking at this knot I'm questioning if 12 turns are really needed. I practiced some with 8 turns and it looks really solid. It doesn't seem to me that it could possibly fail with 8 turns, but like I said, I haven't had a chance to put it to the test yet. So I'd like to hear what some of you guys who have experience with this knot have to say on possibly tying it with only 8 turns. Thanks.

-Scott

Upvote 0
Apr 10, 2019
San Pedro, CA
Name
Chris
Boat
La Reina
I could be wrong, but I believe the Bob Sands knot is very similar to the Tony Peña knot. I saw a YouTube video made by Alan Tani. He used eight wraps up and 10 wraps down. I tried it and the knot came out very clean. Then I tied it again with doubled spectra. It came out looking like a beast! The only difference was that I used a 3 turn Uni instead of four turns.

Upvote 0

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
I use 12 up and 11 down, never had one fail, 8 turns may work just as well, however if I did 8 turns and loss a trophy fish I would be kicking the hell out of myself.

Reactions: RichG
Upvote 0

salty nuts

• Jun 2, 2004
    Camarillo
    Name
    Tim Mohawk
    Boat
    25 Davis Rockharbor Volvo D4-260 TailChaser
    I use 10 and sometimes I get lazy and do 8! LOL but 10 is fine imo.

Upvote 0

fishboy93

Jul 25, 2012
    West Coast
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    It floats
    40lb and under is requires 10-12 turns. 50lband over 8-10 turns.I’d there’s a large gap between mono and floro sizes ex 20/65 50/100 use 12 turns for less chance of slipping. Only connection knot I use and full trust.

Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

• Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    40lb and under is requires 10-12 turns. 50lband over 8-10 turns.I’d there’s a large gap between mono and floro sizes ex 20/65 50/100 use 12 turns for less chance of slipping. Only connection knot I use and full trust.
    Thats more or less the rule I follow. I like the knot cause of the small profile and the knot is actually at the back which minimizes it getting caugh during casts.

suaf

Sep 8, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    I could be wrong, but I believe the Bob Sands knot is very similar to the Tony Peña knot. I saw a YouTube video made by Alan Tani. He used eight wraps up and 10 wraps down. I tried it and the knot came out very clean. Then I tied it again with doubled spectra. It came out looking like a beast! The only difference was that I used a 3 turn Uni instead of f

Upvote 0

suaf

Sep 8, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Thanks for the replies. I think I'll compromise and do 10 and see how it goes. Going down to Cedros for the week with Cedros Sportfishing so I'll get a chance to give it a try and see how it goes.

Upvote 0

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
    Sep 18, 2006
    Costa Mesa, Cailf
    Name
    Walt
    Boat
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
    Have done a ton of testing of the Bob Sands Knot and it is an excellent choice. It is one of 3 spectra to leader knots that consistently produce an ABS of +90%.
    Knot strength however is dependent on the number of wraps up and down. And that is determined by the coefficient of friction of each line which is the product of the diameter of the lines being joined and the coating applied to each line by the manufacture. Being off by a wrap or two is of no great consequence but to obtain the strongest join just keep increasing the wraps (not decreasing) until the top of the wraps will not cinch down using cinching tools. Then just back off a turn or two to where the entire stack of wraps cinch down to the point of starting to turn translucent and you will be good to go. The optimal number of wraps will change when you change line weights or line manufactures. One combination of wraps does not fit all.
    As a point of interest, as mentioned above, the Tony Pena Knot is very similar. However it uses a simple overhand knot for the stop knot where the Bob Sands Knot uses a 4 wrap Uni Knot. That single overhand knot will occasionally slip. Best to avoid it.

My .37 cents worth for your consideration.
    Walt

Last edited:

woolybugger

Almost A Member
    Mar 7, 2006
    San pedro
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat
    Parker 1801 cc
    Ive been doing 10-12 turns on the bob sands and have had no issues on fish up to 100lbs. Takes a lil practice to pull it evenly and slowly in order to get it to cinch evenly. Never trusted the tony pena knot due to the simple overhand knot while i trust a uni.

Reactions: yessokk
    Upvote 0

suaf

Sep 8, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Just got back from Cedros and landed multiple mid to high 30lbs with Bob Sands done with the full 12 down and 12 up joining 65 and 50 lb spectra to 80 lb floro. No problems at all. When I did have to replace the floro on the boat I used an RP which also performed perfectly. The BS definitely goes through the eyes better but towards the end my floro piece was getting pretty short (maybe as short as a foot or so) so going through the eyelets wasn't a problem. So bottom line for me I think when I'm rigging up ahead of time I'll go with the BS and when it's showtime on the water in a hot bite it will be the RP since I can do it quicker. I might still play with the BS using 8 up and down ( but like others have said, that will be different for different lines and diameters) just to see how it works out.

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
    Sep 18, 2006
    Costa Mesa, Cailf
    Name
    Walt
    Boat
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
    Just got back from Cedros and landed multiple mid to high 30lbs with Bob Sands done with the full 12 down and 12 up joining 65 and 50 lb spectra to 80 lb floro. No problems at all. When I did have to replace the floro on the boat I used an RP which also performed perfectly. The BS definitely goes through the eyes better but towards the end my floro piece was getting pretty short (maybe as short as a foot or so) so going through the eyelets wasn't a problem. So bottom line for me I think when I'm rigging up ahead of time I'll go with the BS and when it's showtime on the water in a hot bite it will be the RP since I can do it quicker. I might still play with the BS using 8 up and down ( but like others have said, that will be different for different lines and diameters) just to see how it works out.
    Suaf: A couple of suggestions for your consideration. Your leader getting short is a good sign that your are retying often, very important. Attaching a longer fluoro leader, say around
    10-12 feet goes a long way to delay attaching a new leader.
    Second: It is beneficial when using the RP knot to tie 3-4 half hitches on the spectra when the knot is finished. On rare occasions and under a lot of pressure that RP can slip. The half hitches will prevent it. The RP knot is a great knot and easy to tie but the Alberto Knot , which is very similar is a stronger version, can highly reccomend it.
    alberto knot

Walt

Upvote 0

Double O

Jan 18, 2007
    glendale
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    17ft bayrunner
    I've just discovered the Bob Sands knot and really like the profile it presents for going through the guides compared to the RP knot, which is my current go to. I haven't fished with the Bob Sands yet, only practiced many times sitting on the couch. I think I've got it down. It cinches up real nice and looks good to me. I'm practicing with 40 lb mono and 65 lb spectra. Looking at this knot I'm questioning if 12 turns are really needed. I practiced some with 8 turns and it looks really solid. It doesn't seem to me that it could possibly fail with 8 turns, but like I said, I haven't had a chance to put it to the test yet. So I'd like to hear what some of you guys who have experience with this knot have to say on possibly tying it with only 8 turns. Thanks.

-Scott
    I have been doing 9 and never had a problem

Upvote 0