Does anyone use non-fresh/frozen bait for lobster?

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Fog Ducker, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Fog Ducker

Fog Ducker Huckleberry

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Hobie Skif
    I'm taking the kayak out tonight for lobster and I dont want to buy 50lbs of frozen macs or salmon heads for just 2-3 traps. Have you used any thing else like canned mackerel or cat food with good results. Oh yea, I'm cheap so I don't want to spend $2.50 for 1 mac in the local bait store or $5 a head at the Korean market.

2. VERGIE

VERGIE Newbie

Name:
    MARIO
    Boat:
    KAYAK
    find a local fish market.anything in the mack department will work.bonita,salmon heads. i go to my local asian fish market.there prices per lb. are always decent.you should be able to get enough bait for 2-3 nets for under 5 bucks

3. mrbohley

mrbohley Newbie

Name:
    Mike Bohley
    Boat:
    20 foot Skipjack
    don't use cat food, i have tried that with zero results while everyone around me was pulling up full nets. i have used sardines from the can before too with minimal performance. i would suggest you just go for it and buy some frozen macs, it's better having way too much bait than coming home empty handed.

4. tylerderdan

tylerderdan Stay classy San diego

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    215cc triumph "Unforgiven"
    every comercial guy around uses frozen

5. Shaka760

Shaka760 Member

Name:
    Craig Taylor
    Boat:
    2007 Nitro 482
    I have had some luck on trout. I usually eat it, but sometimes get lazy and just freeze it whole...didn't know what to do with it, so i took it hooping..Worked okay.

6. ddc

ddc keep up!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Sold!
    Last time we went out we were in a pinch on bait so we raided the ice box of old freezer burnt meat ranging from those burger patties you get at costco to duck and quail. Chicken's worked for us in the past too. Good luck!

7. Firebird

Firebird Newbie

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    19' Boston Whaler KB Lynne
    I've gotten fish heads and carcasses from the fish counter at the grocery store for free.
    I've offered to pay for them, but the butcher said he was going to throw them out anyhow.
    I've also had success with old chicken and ground beef that had been sitting in the freezer for over a year that my wife was going to throw out. I had pretty good results with the chicken. Sea lions are not attracted to the chicken or ground beef but for whatever reason, the bugs are.

8. Afry

Afry Capitán

Name:
    Arnie
    Boat:
    38 Mediterranean, 23 Key West
    I use each frozen salmon head twice, after hooping the first time I refreeze when I get home and put the chewed side down the next time out, works for me.

9. fishnbuddy

fishnbuddy Member

Name:
    Junior
    I use that technique sometimes too...shit...Arnie showed me it. It works. Frozed...refrozed...and still catches.
    ...fishnbuddy

10. Joey805

Joey805 Administrator Admin

Name:
    Joey
    Boat:
    Too many of them
    I've seen alot of guys use raw chicken with skin on from the grocery store...

Seems to work pretty well for them.

11. mikeyairtime

mikeyairtime Fish Magnet

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    "Julia J" & "Berzerker"
    I fished commercial lobsters and frozen bait is fine. You can buy 60 pound boxes of whole frozen mackerel at any fish processor. Using the same bait over and over again is an excellent idea especially when you're fishing along side my gear. Kidding aside big fish heads do hold up pretty well. I used to use tuna heads when I could get them.

12. 5150dude

5150dude Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Parker 2320 "Nostrovia!" (to you're health!"), 12' Livingston cat
    We get our salmon heads and fresh macs at an Asian market in Westminster. $0.99 per pound.
    A little drive for you but the stuff works great.
    PM me if interested and I'll give you directions.
    Dave

13. c-goat

c-goat HELL BENT FOR FEATHER

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    If you could only figure out a way to get uni butter in the form of a jaw breaker...call it something like "ever lasting lobstopper"you would not be going out hoopin in your yak tonight,you would be sitting in the galley of your 38 foot something or other getting drunk and coutintig your money that you would be making on said "ever lasting Lob- stopper":rockin:

14. c-goat

c-goat HELL BENT FOR FEATHER

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    I have actually thought about uni butter and crisco,heating them up together to make a flavorful glutenous mass,putting it in a stocking or 30 micron bag(available on line)but...oil is thicker than water and would float away towards the surface or atleast theoreticlly.

15. ISLAND BOUND

ISLAND BOUND Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    26 striper White Knuckles
    This commercial guy just gave you a great tip.......... USE FRESH BAIT. It is the key

16. smokincan

smokincan Carpe Phallus

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Goes To 11
    Why don't you go to one of the landings and ask 'em to save you some guts/heads/carcasses from fish cleaning. Go when a 1/2-day is departing and offer the deckie a trashbag and a few bux or some beers. Pick it up when they return.

17. Afry

Afry Capitán

Name:
    Arnie
    Boat:
    38 Mediterranean, 23 Key West
    Dude, and I'm telling you you can use it twice. I don't use it more then that. Fresh is good but not essential. Second time is just as good.

BTW please do NOT dump youir bait to the fucking dog hanging around your boat. It's Pavlov's dog... google it and see the light.

You reap what you sew.

18. Dogman

Dogman Member

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    Trophy 2359
    Found some Talapia that was on sale super cheap at a local store and I put slices along each fish before I crammed about two per cage, seemed to work well.

19. ISLAND BOUND

ISLAND BOUND Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    26 striper White Knuckles
    I know you can use it twice, as I have more than once. IMO the bait starts loosing its scent after a few hours in the water ,so if it hasnt soaked long I may reuse it . If it soaked a long time I dump it right where I hoop, Its like fertilizing the area.

20. spike

spike Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Spike Ivins
    Boat:
    any chance I get
    Johns Fish Market in DP, then go down to Trestles :slap: