Does anyone have a “how-to” for a boat line?

middleofnowhere

Gopher Killer
Sep 16, 2008
Yucca Valley, CA USA
Name
Scott
Boat
Twin Vee "MamaMia"
I’m looking to make a boat line (hand line) similar to what a lot of San Diego sport fishers use. Milk crate, rope, flat rubber bungie, leader, swivel, etc. does anyone have a link to a “how-to”? Or maybe post up some pictures.

InDeepShip

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 5, 2017
Ventura/Vallejo
Name
Adam
Boat
In My Dreams
There are some shops that sell them premade. I've made them before on ships with just rope. All you do is get some thin dia rope make two loops on it and then attach a bungie in-between so that it's under alittle tension and then tie a leader onto the rope. The bungie should be close to the boat.

Normslanding

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 13, 2010
Palmetto, Fl., USA
Name
Dave Spangler
Boat
Blue Heaven
It is not hard. Use strong !/8" braided Nylon line. Tie a black rubber bungee on it. Allow enough slack and tie the other end of the bungee. All you need is a overhand knot with a extra wrap thru the loop so it won't cinch up. Figure out how long you want it and put a swivel. Add some green braid like but cord. Then add another swivel, and heavy mono. At the mono end another swivel with a McMahon snap. That it it.

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
It's not difficult.
PM your phone and I'll talk you though it.

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
In the old days when albacore were around every sportboat ran a boatline on each corner. They usually used parachute cord and 200lb mono so it was easy to pull in by hand. A lot of times they ran a 3lb torpedo sinker between the parachute cord and the mono and they would troll a baldy. Don't forget the empty beer can that you tie to the bungee cord with a short piece of mono. The beer can goes in the milk crate and when you get a hit the beer can jumps out of the milk crate to get your attention. The boat fish went to the crew who sold them to the processors at the top of the dock and they split the money. Back then they paid 50 cents a pound so each fish was about $10.

Day0ne

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 24, 2004
Texas
Name
David
Boat
233 Formula Shadowdancer
Don't forget the empty beer can that you tie to the bungee cord with a short piece of mono. The beer can goes in the milk crate and when you get a hit the beer can jumps out of the milk crate to get your attention.
I was on the New Lo-an years ago, and instead of a beer can, they had their's hooked to a small canister type air horn

Reactions: ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. San Diego, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
The first boat line I ever saw. Took a look into the crate wondering what it was. Inside the crate was also the first dynatrol I ever saw. With the can

I think it was aboard the producer.

Cubeye

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
I was on the New Lo-an years ago, and instead of a beer can, they had their's hooked to a small canister type air horn
The Pronto used a brass boxing bell. The aluminum beer can works the best, easy to hook up, and makes noise when it goes over. But someone has to be there and watch it, because it doesn't make that much noise.

I use my boat line and drag it on the second day of my long range trips all the way to our destination. It doesn't catch much, but there's nothing else to do except sit in the dining room. It's designed a little bit differently. Much heavier than the ordinary boat line.

Last edited:

stangclassic66

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat
25’ Parker
Tuna cord meat lines.

Call Todd over at Bayside Marine in Santa Cruz. He carries commercial gear and can ship.

You want a spool of tuna cord
2 snubbers (if you want to make a pair)
150-200lb pack of Jinkai mono
Crimps and a crimper

I carry a pair on my boat even down here in SD but have yet to deploy them. Doubtful they work on YFT.

justing

Aug 12, 2006
Sitka, Alaska
Name
justin guzman
Boat
to many to list
ashway tuna cord either 300lb or 400lb color won’t matter. Happy troll mooring snubber is the best for a snubber and I like 300lb mono. Last longer and easier on the hands. Don’t make it to long on a 22’ Grady I used to fish we ran 25’ of tuna cord and 10’ of mono. Also like to run a yozuri diving board. Gets it down so you can run gear tight to the boat and if you get bit it pops up also if it catches any debris it’ll pop up to the surface. You’ll need to double the bungies up if you run the diving boards.

Justin

middleofnowhere

Gopher Killer
Sep 16, 2008
Yucca Valley, CA USA
Name
Scott
Boat
Twin Vee "MamaMia"
Update: i just got a report that my bro’s crew has pulled in a couple tuna on the meat lines. They are way offshore in transit. I’m sure I’ll get some more details when they get to a place to communicate.

These are being used on the back of a ship, the fantail is pretty high above water and they aren’t able to stop while underway.

Reactions: Cubeye