Documentary - Sushi to the Slaughter

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Abaco, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Did anybody else happen to catch this show on Vanguard? I found it very interesting. It covered the decline of bluefin populations and (thank goodness) how much fun it is to eat bluefin sushi. The contradiction was great. And, the footage was pretty fun - including a pen of the first totally farm-raised school of bluefin in Japan. Set your DVR to look for it if you get the chance.

2. lingasaurus

lingasaurus Newbie

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    always on The Samson
    Pretty good show. Was funny how the host was so concerned about population decline but his mouth was full of BFT the whole time. Those Japanese fish markets are something else to see. Wish they would of spent more time comparing the tank raised pen kept vs the wild tuna's.

3. eightmd

eightmd Newbie

Name:
    Doal
    Boat:
    17' Nitro
    I went to a "tuna dismanteling" demonstration at a Japanese market a few weeks ago. They brought out a couple 30-40# bluefin that has been gilled and gutted. It had been flown in from Japan. They said it had be raised from the start, in Hokkaido, I think. It had not been frozen. They were saying the whole fish was very "fatty" and pretty much all of it tasted like toro. Toro being the belly area, fattest, most expensive, best part.

4. Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral Holi-e-Mackeral

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris - sold the boat
  5. GiantSquid

GiantSquid Newbie

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    Nope
    Yea they have actually been raising captive bred Northern Bluefin in Japan for a few years now. There is also an operation in Australia trying to raise Southern Bluefin but they aren't there yet.

That said they apparently can't raise enough to keep hauling the wild ones out of the oceans. And like the farmed tuna they have the clear the area of bait sized fish to feed the things.

6. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Yeah, that dude loves eating tuna as much as I do. Probably not the best man for the job...or maybe he is. They put that bowl of "enough tuna for 6 people" in front of him and he couldn't finish it. Hell...I'd tear through that lickitysplit. I'd make a mockery of it.

I found it fascinating that the story told in the show is that the Japanese only recently got a hankerin for bluefin - with the first exports from the USA northeast getting them hooked.

I also appreciated that, for a split second, they mentioned that the industrial fishing boats are a main culprit in the population decline. That was always my take on it. Any other theories?