I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego
Name
Tommy Chang
Boat
1989 Seaswirl
Hello everybody.

I wanted to ask you guys who dock your boat in san diego a few things. My friend is planning on bringing his boat down from LA but because of the crazy fishing we've had, he wants to just find a place to dock it somewhere in san diego that doesn't an arm and a leg. I really don't have much knowledge so I wanted to post and the pros. It can be a dry dock as long as they will put it in the water once a day and take it out once a day. It isn't a very fancy boat. just a nice little rebuilt skipjack about 24 or 26 footer. I'm trying to find what would economically be the best way to go about it. I'm open to any and all ideas! THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
Usually part time slips run way more than a permanent slip.A dollar a ft a night is not unusual.Tom

Envy115

Aug 17, 2011
San Diego
Name
Tommy Chang
Boat
1989 Seaswirl
the boat is a 24 footer. then it would be like $720 a month!??! lol i cant afford that. how about something like 6 months? does anybody know of a place that can dry dock for something close to like 200 a month or 300 at max? please any help would be really appreciated.

Papa "J"

May 8, 2003
OffShore
Name
Jason
Boat
Grady White 272 Sailfish
the boat is a 24 footer. then it would be like $720 a month!??! lol i cant afford that. how about something like 6 months? does anybody know of a place that can dry dock for something close to like 200 a month or 300 at max? please any help would be really appreciated.
Not for that price in San Diego except at a regular storage facility. Slips are a minimum $14 per foot, and that's Mission Bay at a crappy marina and you would probably have to go into a 30' slip. Seems like you going to have to start calling around to RV and storage places.

Shimano Penn

Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
I recently looked into this so have current info, in SD Bay the rule of thumb is the farther you get from the inlet the lower the price, there may be exceptions. Chula Vista Marina was the best I found at $13.75 for a 30' slip. That comes to $412 per month. If it will fit in a 25' slip it drops to $13.25 or $344.50/ month. You are allowed 3' hangover so if your overall tip to tip at the farthest possible measuring points is under 27' you'll make it. They also have dry storage (cheaper) but I don't know the rates. I don't know if they offer a launch service. You can call Jim Nicoletti marina manager at 619-691-1860.

Sly McFly

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 18, 2014
Name
Jim
Boat
Sly McFly
Marina Cortez on Harbor Island in San Diego Bay has slips, they are about $450/month + electric. You can stay for 6 months. Keep in mind, you will need bottom paint and monthly cleaning (about $35). This is the cheapest San Diego Bay marina. Marina Village in Mission Bay is cheaper, about $350/month.

Come, join the fun.

Reactions: Envy115

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
If he wants to keep it in the water Try the public dock . Its run by the Port of San Diego . Problem with this is he can only keep it there for a maximum 15 days in a 40 day period. Then trailer it and keep it at a storage yard. I'm sure there will be some days off in that summer timeline.

Personally, I have run 14 days in a row locally fishing and honestly "needed" a few days off.

Reactions: Envy115

Shimano Penn

Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
In my post above I wasn't clear on that 3' over deal, you pay for that. In other words if the boat is longer than the slip you pay for those extra 1,2 or 3 feet. For me with a bow pulpit and a bracket mounted outboard, engine up, my 24' boat is 31 feet ! Bastards !!

Envy115

Aug 17, 2011
San Diego
Name
Tommy Chang
Boat
1989 Seaswirl
Marina Cortez on Harbor Island in San Diego Bay has slips, they are about $450/month + electric. You can stay for 6 months. Keep in mind, you will need bottom paint and monthly cleaning (about $35). This is the cheapest San Diego Bay marina. Marina Village in Mission Bay is cheaper, about $350/month.

Come, join the fun.
Thanks so much for the info! i really appreciate it. I'm going to look into it!

Envy115

Aug 17, 2011
San Diego
Name
Tommy Chang
Boat
1989 Seaswirl
In my post above I wasn't clear on that 3' over deal, you pay for that. In other words if the boat is longer than the slip you pay for those extra 1,2 or 3 feet. For me with a bow pulpit and a bracket mounted outboard, engine up, my 24' boat is 31 feet ! Bastards !!
lol well thanks for the info man.!

Envy115

Aug 17, 2011
San Diego
Name
Tommy Chang
Boat
1989 Seaswirl
Seriously though you guys are awesome, i love the BD community. Always helpful info for a newbie like me. Thanks guys!!bieber

Reactions: glenniesan

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
hows your boat running tommy?