stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
In the videos I've seen. Most people are using a standard gaff in Southern California. What are the advantages or disadvantages to a flying gaff, calcutta gaff, aluminum gaff etc....

jonrx7

I like girls, boos and fishing. Simple life.
Apr 21, 2008
Torrance and Garden Grove
Name
Jon
Boat
Not yet
flying gaff is usually used when the fish is too large for the boat to pull in with fixed gaff. The flying gaff head breaks away and is connected to the boat cleat. After the fish tires out we start pulling in the line. Sometimes the fish is shot to make it easier. then bring it in the normal way. on a small boat a big fish can screws things up really quick.

Safety first.

John

Reactions: stuman

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
Save the flyer for swords and sharks . Iv'e never seen a tuna do any damage when pulled on deck . I use mine mostly for threshers so I can bleed them before putting them aboard . If you ever bleed one on deck you'll only do it once . Makes a big fkn mess .

downtime

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 12, 2006
San Diego
Name
Ronson
Boat
26 Skipjack "Reel Hard"
Most of the bft that ive personally caught or watched on videos are so done that once gaffed they just stop. You need multiple gaffs cause they are so heavy.
flying gaff is overkill.

kapnd

Jul 22, 2007
haleiwa Hawaii
Name
don
Boat
ss minnow
Flying gaffs are old school, I carry one on the boat, but haven’t used it in years. Im contemplating moving up to a harpoon.
flying gaffs tend to have really huge hooks, hard to sink it anywhere besides right in the sashimi, and that’s strictly prohibited on my boat!
Theyre also clumsy, way too big to handle with any speed, and gets whisked straight back if the boat is moving.
my best gaffs are homemade with stout wood handles and 4” maximum hook gap, they’re thick enough to get a good grip on, and practically indestructible!

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
my best gaffs are homemade with stout wood handles and 4” maximum hook gap, they’re thick enough to get a good grip on, and practically indestructible!
Good information on the downside of the flying gaff. Which type of wood handle do you use? Pine? hardwood? broomstick?

kapnd

Jul 22, 2007
haleiwa Hawaii
Name
don
Boat
ss minnow
My favorite wood handle is Hickory, but its hard to get!
the last batch I made, I used 1 1/4“ dowel stock, just took my time plowing through the stock to find nice straight grain, good weight, and no checking.
Bamboo works well, but must be correctly dried and seasoned or it will split soon.

fsh4calico

Paralabrax clathratus
Oct 31, 2004
Torrance, Ca
Name
Pete
Boat
Long Range, Float Tube
Flying gaffs are old school, I carry one on the boat, but haven’t used it in years. Im contemplating moving up to a harpoon.
flying gaffs tend to have really huge hooks, hard to sink it anywhere besides right in the sashimi, and that’s strictly prohibited on my boat!
Theyre also clumsy, way too big to handle with any speed, and gets whisked straight back if the boat is moving.
Harpoons are illegal in California unless you have a commercial license for their use. We've caught multiple cows over the past couple of years (up to 327#) and sure were glad we had the flying gaff.