Do you shut off the engine while off shore?

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by castone001, Jul 19, 2018.

1. castone001

castone001 Member

Name:
    Chris Stone
    Boat:
    none
    Thank you all for the replies !

2. OnoEric

OnoEric Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Grady White 208
    I used to shut down when drifting on kelp paddies. But then one time the starter bendix gear got jammed and wouldn’t pop up to engage the flywheel. Somehow, we were able to wrap a dock line around the flywheel and pull start a 175 hp Yamaha... we fished the rest of the day with the motor running. Oddly, once we got back to the mooring in Avalon, it worked fine and it’s never jammed again. But, I don’t want to deal with that stuff again, so I just leave it running.

JohnnieB likes this.
  3. af dreamer

af dreamer I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    tom
    Boat:
    44 luhrs dreamer
    I shut mine down when on the anchor.I virtually never run my gen set since I got the inverter.I only need the gen set for A/C and stove and to recharge the house battery's .My engines have dedicated starting battery's and can be paralleled.My house-inverter battery's are 4 8Ds.I can sit on the mooring,run everything including both bait pumps and both refers and ice maker all night.I fire the genset in the AM for a couple hours and am good all day.Turn it back on before bedtime for a couple hours and then good again all night.FWIW,Tom

One_Leg and FishAcquisition like this.
  4. miaf

miaf Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Boat:
    If you don’t have your starting batteries isolated from your house batteries, then keep them running. If you have a proper set up on your batteries, then why not turn them off at times. Especially White Sea bass fishing or sliding in front of boat shy bluefin.

If you don’t trust your boat to start, you probably shouldn’t be out on the water with that boat.

5. JohnnieB

JohnnieB SelFishAddiction

Name:
    JB
    Boat:
    Unknown limits
    It's all fun and games until shit happens, and yes it happens to brand new vessels as well as the old tired tugs. Respect the big pond for you are but a grain of salt in her, trust me, even the best equipped vessels and captain's get dealt a pretty shitty hand at times. You just never know ...it comes out of nowhere. be prepared the best you can safety wise. Have a GREAT radio, plan your plot and plot your plan
    { try to share it with someone on shore}
    If there are no other boats in the area that can quickly respond.... keep the motors on. ENJOY

RodRage likes this.
  6. HavasuSun

HavasuSun Member

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Proline 32 "Knot Reely”
    Newer thought about it until this thread. I probably shut my motors down no less than 10-15 times per day while fishing. Anytime I drift on a patty, pull up on boiling fish, have a medium sized fish on, take a nap, etc... For the big boy fish I leave the motors on just in case the boat needs maneuvering. i uasuallu just fish with one other person so if a fish is on he is running the gaff. My outboards are 2 stokes so they are a little load. I turn them both off without any hesitation. The plus side is I have an isolated battery system with a dedicated battery for each motor. I have a jump start battery as a backup and because they are outboards they can be pull started. I actually had to do this once last year. Turned out my battery cable for one motor had just enough corrosion to effect the connection. It does not take much corrosion to effect the starting of a motor. Anyway, the motor started on the first pull. I guess I have been lucky.

7. marx88

marx88 Sheppard of the sea

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Twin yamaha 250s on a milk jug
    I shut my motor off the other day and went to sleep. I drifted 15 miles and probably saved $50 in gas. Get you a good rope so you can crank it over. Lots of ways to jump start a motor that wont crank... you can hook the battery strait to the starter... if you wanna figure out how to fix a boat motor let it screw up offshore... necessity is the mother of invention.

GOFAST88 and catalin like this.
  8. Arima-bob

Arima-bob pescadore n jäger

Name:
    Beeulzebob
    Boat:
    uh....
    I can understand not wanting to shut an engine off on the water. Mine always stays running except when there's bluefin around. I haven't tried for seabass yet, but I'd probably shut it down so I don't scare the fish off.

Always make sure your battery or batteries are fully charged before you head out, and if I'm gonna be targeting skittish fish, I bring my jumper box. Most fish don't seem to care, so it stays running.

Reel hip and GOFAST88 like this.
  9. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Once you go Cat, you never go back

Name:
    laurence
    Boat:
    2017 LUMACAT 28' Sport
    Turn them off as long as we aren’t on the troll. If you’re worried about them not starting back up, you shouldn’t connect the trailer to the truck.

10. hawkplayer32

hawkplayer32 I'd rather be fishing.

Name:
    Tony Hicks
    Boat:
    Baja Bound
    If you cant trust your motor to turn back on then you shouldnt be offshore.

sickcat, Bigeasy and plj46 like this.
  11. bman440440

bman440440 I am the one who knocks!!!

Name:
    B-MAN
    Boat:
    Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Ship Show(30' double decker pontoon),Ships&Giggles(32' double decker pontoon)
    I shut it off most times (unless its next to jetty's and ect.) when I'm drifting and I never even think it will not restart... I have a dedicated engine battery and a LARGE "house" battery (blue seas system add a battery kit with ACR) that can be used to start if there is ever a problem with the engine battery... and BTW if I ever thought that it would ever have a problem restarting I would not launch it in the first place... now that being said I do realise that shit can happen and I'm prepared and can get it going unless its a major component failure... I have a full tool kit that has extras like lite and heavy gauge wire, fuses, extra spark plugs, cap/rotor, 2 long plug wires, serpentine belt, ect... and the icing on the cake is towboat US... BUT I recommend that you do what you feel comfortable with... and if that's keeping the engine(s) running great! remember its fishing... you should be out there having fun and NOT worrying about the "what if"! that's my 2c

Reel hip, OnoEric and castone001 like this.
  12. airslot

airslot Member

Name:
    Tom La
    Boat:
    Mako 184
    It is not the matter of trusting your motor, it is a matter of shit can happen ( starter dies, lose connection, dead battery, corrision on connection, on and on).

JohnnieB and OnoEric like this.
  13. HookEmDanO

HookEmDanO Huhuhuge member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352
    I never shut down the motor while out...start it up at the dock and turn it off at the dock...it has worked fine for 21 years this way

and yes...I have BoatUS for the tow...now that I will not leave home without...

castone001 likes this.
  14. Bigeasy

Bigeasy yeah, yeah!

Name:
    Eric W.
    Boat:
    Tunacious 238 Coastal Twin 150-E
    May leave one engine running while drifting, but silence is one of the beauty of being offshore! Cut that shit off, I’m dying from the fumes!!!!! I maintain my boat to ensure it’s reliability! If not BoatUSA is there to drag my ass in! Never required them and shutting that shit down is beautiful!

15. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Sorry but that doesn't really make sense.If it isn't running it doesn't need lubrication.If it idles a lot you have less oil pressure lubing things.You're also adding hours to a motor that isn't moving the boat.

16. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    I'm with these testicles.

GOFAST88, plj46 and castone001 like this.
  17. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    It makes sense to me. I can't remember the exact statistic, but starting a typical gas engine produces more wear and tear than idling it for an hour. My car (500hp+) has a "feature" that shuts off the engine if you idle for a few seconds at a stop light. Does wonders for emissions, but can't be good for the engine, so I shut that feature off EVERY SINGLE TIME I start it up. It has become part of my reflexive start sequence: foot on brake, push start button, put on seat belt, push button to turn off auto-stop, push warning acknowledgement (for nav system), and finally, put in gear. And at idle just a few psi is plenty of pressure to assure adequate lubrication.

As for engine hours, very few recreational boat engines fail from excessive hours. Especially "low" rpm diesels.

18. Vigilant32

Vigilant32 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    G
    Boat:
    I really find this topic interesting and am surprised so many leave um on.

So the logic for leave your propulsion source on is?

1. It’s better on the machinery than restarting.

2. If it’s on, it’s on, so I’m getting home without cause or fear.

3. A Diesel engine would rather run than sit. Perhaps harder to start when hot?

4. Other factors that seem obvious: mooring , anchoring, Sea anchor (not so much if you fear a restart). Allows a shut down period.

5. Deamons pop up when you least expect them.

6. My electrical system is not Sufficient to guarantee a restart.

7. Better seamanship with them on to allow for evasive or natural movement without delay? Once on the Banda Bank a 50’ Hatteras steaming ahead on a fixed autopilot heading with a young girl on helm watch came within a few yards of running over us because she didn’t know how to perform a crazy Ivan? Btw, my Yamahas fired in a second and I made the evasive move with time to spare . If they clicked, shit show...

I guess it’s not cut & dry ?

19. Derby

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    That is a fact.

Most fail from sporadic use and little to no maintenance.

And sometimes things just break....but I'm still turning off my motor for long drifts.

The choice is yours to make.

20. Derby

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    It can be. If you don't trust your boat, dont turn it off. If you do, shut her down when conditions allow.

It's a personal preference directly proportional to the vessel in command of.

plj46 likes this.