Do you need a surveyor when purchasing a 22' CC ?

vipertom1970

Tuna Sniper
Oct 26, 2015
Inland Empire
Name
tom
Boat Name
2018 Parker 2320 SL
I will have a dealer look at the engine before purchase but do I need a surveyor or can I inspect the hull my self ?

Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat Name
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    A lot of factors would be in that decision. Age, manufacture, type of construction etc. For instance, lets say its fairly new and been a trailer queen... I don't think I would have one if the price was right. However if that boat has been sitting in a slip for god knows how long I would certainly have it checked by a surveyor for water intrusion with a cored hull.

When in doubt always error on the side of caution and that the seller is hiding something. Call me paranoid but it can save your butt in the long run.

Upvote 0

mike mitchell

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 25, 2017
    Monterey
    Name
    Michael Mitchell
    Boat Name
    18 Sfringari
    The next question is what are you going to do with the information? Any defects to be fixed? Lower the price? Walk away? Banks and insurance may require survey from licensed surveyor. A marina may require one for some types of boats. Spend the money.

Reactions: yakdout
    Upvote 0

vipertom1970

Tuna Sniper
    Oct 26, 2015
    Inland Empire
    Name
    tom
    Boat Name
    2018 Parker 2320 SL
    ^ Defect on the hull or engine = walk away.

Do you guys have any recommended surveyor near Dana Point ?

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

AlexB

May 3, 2016
    Oakland, California
    Name
    Alex Bowerman
    Boat Name
    Hobie Outback (pedal drive kayak)
    I’ve done a bit of research on the expected lifespan of modern 4 strokes. There doesn’t seem to be any consensus - people were throwing out numbers everywhere from 1,500 to 5,000+ hours.

There does seem to be a consensus on what kills outboards (sitting for long periods) versus what maximizes their lifespan (use them, a lot). The motors that last the longest (actual engine hours, not years on the calendar) are the ones that get run hard on a daily basis - the example of pangas in Mexico comes up a lot.

11/12 years, 900 hours, so you’re looking at a motor that was used about 75-80 hours per year. It’s hard to say exactly how many times/year the motor was run without knowing how what the previous owner used the boat for. (Was it used 8 times per year for 10 hour each? 16 times a year for 5 hours each? All trolling? All cruising? Mix of both?)

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat Name
    Yes
    If it is a cored hull (and from what I understand most are in that size range), you really want the hull (and transom) checked by an expert. Not always easy to detect decontamination or water logging, even with a quality moisture meter.

Upvote 0