Do you have to keep all the fish you catch?

Dexter Outdoors

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Just because you hook a fish doesn't mean that you have to fight it. Hook&hand is a very satisfying tactic, and you can make someone's day with your generosity.

Just because you fight the fish to the side of the boat doesn't mean that you have to stick a gaff in it. Sometimes tuna get tagged and released (there are trips that do that) and sometimes you can just break the line near its head with the gaff. But it is polite to ask, "Does anyone want a tuna?" first, because maybe another angler would appreciate it.

Sometimes if the fish are not what I want to catch or even fight, but I want to play with them for a bit, I will throw jigs without hooks. They crash on it and mouth it for a moment and let it go. Really fun. The best way to play with the smaller models.

Talk with the crew about who hasn't tagged many fish, talk with the guys around the table at a meal. You will find someone who will want to take a fish or several off of your hands.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Donate it brodown style or C&R. Gift to a angler who is light on fish and they can pay the processing. If you have friends close by they can pick up whole fish also. Pre arrange it. Message pelicans the night traveling back to the dock. Kick down fish to the crew. They know what to do with it

Pelican buddy picked up 1 bft, gifted 1 bft to crew, donated to SD lifeguards, donated to the bd dude above who does generous fish frys (sdrepairman), shipped 37lbs to paps & bro in LA, then hand carried on a train another 10lbs to LA because paps could not wait 2 days for UPS, BD freezer, some neighborhood dude was driving by as we were unloading a cooler, etc

Worth every penny spent on the trips. 6 bft is allot of meat and allot of fun

Reactions: pmurphy
    Upvote 0

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 20, 2007
    California
    Name
    Richard G/
    Boat
    none
    Agree with all the above. You can also check with the Fish Processors, if they have any charities they supply to. I think they all do since you are not the only one asking this question.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    When you settle into your La-Z-Boy with a glass of wine, check out Fish Food Feel Good www.f3g.org An excellent way to donate your fish.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Will check it out when I have wifi not pre pay :)

Myself and others have been honored with a 3D crystal tuna release trophy. Tunafish inside. Most fish released. Win win if you win

A release recognition is cool and motivation. I got mine on a 10 day

Reactions: Fishybuzz
    Upvote 0

pmurphy

Jan 8, 2007
    Tucson, Arizona
    Name
    Pat
    Boat
    Hobie kayak
    On the RP, they don't care at all if you want to fish for sport, reducing your fish on deck through the use of C&R or limiting yourself to irons or topwater. I have even used barbless hooks on the RP.

I have been on other boats where they consider not killing the maximum number of fish to be a mortal sin. I was using jigs for tuna on the Searcher once, and hadn't gotten a fish, which drove Art completely mental. He pulled one of my tags off and said, "I'm going to get you a fish!" I yelled "Hell, no!" I am not a child who will cry if I'm the last guy on the boat to "get a fish."

Reactions: RichG
    Upvote 0

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    On the RP, they don't care at all if you want to fish for sport, reducing your fish on deck through the use of C&R or limiting yourself to irons or topwater. I have even used barbless hooks on the RP.

I have been on other boats where they consider not killing the maximum number of fish to be a mortal sin. I was using jigs for tuna on the Searcher once, and hadn't gotten a fish, which drove Art completely mental. He pulled one of my tags off and said, "I'm going to get you a fish!" I yelled "Hell, no!" I am not a child who will cry if I'm the last guy on the boat to "get a fish."

Upvote 0

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    ive been reading guys come home with hundreds of pounds of meat from a long range trip. i only want like 40-50 lbs at the very most. sounds like the cleaning bills are pretty hefty too. i just want to pull on fish. can a guy do that?

If you might end up with more fish than you want to keep....and if all of the other giftings don't work out (to roommate, to trip, crew, to etc ) you may be able to donate to a charity. But, as it is Calif, our suffocating union-govt has made it cumbersome and complicated. Give the fish processors a call -- I have done this with Fishermans Processing -- they can tell you how to give them the fish at the landing, then they process the fish and forward the filets to a charity.

Last edited:
    Reactions: stickbass
    Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star
    ive been reading guys come home with hundreds of pounds of meat from a long range trip. i only want like 40-50 lbs at the very most. sounds like the cleaning bills are pretty hefty too. i just want to pull on fish. can a guy do that?
    If I have extra fish I don't want processed, I donate it to a fire station in my hometown of LB. They don't mind filleting and the firemen really appreciate it. They have even invited me over to the fire station to enjoy some grilled fish with them! Those guy's are outstanding cooks!

Upvote 0