Do you guys make bait at Catalina or get a scoop?

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
Hey gents, I was wondering what you guys do as far as bait for a trip to Catalina. Im hoping to get my boat ready for a trip soon (and probably open it up to anglers who know the island) But my experience with fishing is limited, so far mainly fishing swim baits or live bait. That said, should I make bait out there with macs or load up with a scoop and head out to target Tuna and Calico?

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
I just stop and get a scoop from Nacho.

Word of advice; don’t be the first to wake him up, he’s a grump first thing in the morning. I try and let a couple boats go ahead of me.

Reactions: mrkrabs

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
Jul 3, 2004
BD Outdoors
Name
John
Boat
None
Always take bait with you , you can buy or make squish depending if available at the island , I always keep left over squish and freeze them when I get back ....

Oh I always make the drive to San Pedro from Huntington harbor , fuck Nacho attitude!

Reactions: Shewillbemine

kindafishy

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
I just stop and get a scoop from Nacho.

Word of advice; don’t be the first to wake him up, he’s a grump first thing in the morning. I try and let a couple boats go ahead of me.
i bring dog treats,(for his dogs) seems to lighten him up a bit.

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
Joey,

Get bait from Nacho. Sometimes it can be hard to find and make bait at the island. I try to avoid spending valuable fishing time looking for macks after the long ride over.

Squid has worked great for me most days at Cat and I'll get that every time it's available. Always save leftovers, fresh-dead is better than store bought squid IMO. You can hail the squid boat "Carnage" (I think channel 11 - someone on 72 can confirm that tho') Squid is not that available too often in summer.

Not sure of your bait tank size but maybe start off with a half scoop. We make macks either by Nacho's bait barge or at the breakwall near the barge. Make a small chum bucket and fill with canned catfood and sabiki away. You will have a 30 sticks to go with your half scoop of dines/chovie in no time.

Cat yellows LOVE a slow trolled mack and the halibut will gobble one up too if you target the sandy bottom areas near structure. I usually look for the yellows tho.

Dont sweat Nacho. He can be cool or a dick sometimes but who cares. Great idea about the dog treats, he'd like that I'm sure.

Here is a pic of the chum bucket I made from a plastic peanut butter jar. You can make the de-hooker from a wire hanger and a pair of pliers or buy one for cheap. Trust me, this will be very helpful and your fingers will thank you. I must have poked my pointer finger 40 times trying to de-hook macks. That finger was raw and sore the whole day after that. Some guys use an old butter knife but I was never that good using that technique.

20190509_185649.jpg

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
Well,
on Sat we picked up 1/2 scoop from Noch and and made about 3 dozen macks. In Lb before we headed out. We did not do much at the island with all that great bait this time, but we had it!

Reactions: SaltH20Angler

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
Well,
on Sat we picked up 1/2 scoop from Noch and and made about 3 dozen macks. In Lb before we headed out. We did not do much at the island with all that great bait this time, but we had it!
If you didnt have the bait, you would of needed it for sure....or is that just my luck. :D