TOTW

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
I buck tradition and glue—but ONLY the finish knot(s). It’s the best way I’ve found to keep it from eventually unraveling. Like Fishy said above, you want the weave portion of the braid to continue to dig into the leader material.

Edit—this is for FG. I haven’t jumped into the bobbin brigade just yet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Russo

Almost A Member
Aug 14, 2017
Wildomar
Name
Jon Russo
Boat
If that's what you want to call it
If I have the option I will glue the finish knot and also use a lighter to put a small bulb on the leader to help prevent it from slipping. That being said if I'm tying it on the water and or don't have super glue its not a deal breaker. I have never had a failure either way.

Reactions: Idatuna and RichG
Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
Learn to tie knots... you don't need to know them all.
I tie 3 knots extremely well and absolutely perfect every single time... Zero shortcuts... Zero ehh that'll hold... Zero ehh thats good enough for these grade fish... And you know what I bend hooks well before my knot fails. There are always people trying to sell you something... wether it be fishing gizmos or the fact they are experts...
I know it sounds crazy but people have been catching fish a very long time without glue...

Invest your time learning just 1 go to knot and it will pay off over and over. If you don't have the time or patience to do the extremely simple things perfect... You will never make the way more difficult things look easy!

Upvote 0

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Learn to tie knots... you don't need to know them all.
I tie 3 knots extremely well and absolutely perfect every single time... Zero shortcuts... Zero ehh that'll hold... Zero ehh thats good enough for these grade fish... And you know what I bend hooks well before my knot fails. There are always people trying to sell you something... wether it be fishing gizmos or the fact they are experts...
I know it sounds crazy but people have been catching fish a very long time without glue...

Invest your time learning just 1 go to knot and it will pay off over and over. If you don't have the time or patience to do the extremely simple things perfect... You will never make the way more difficult things look easy!
I agree with you. Just a bit bored and looking at different knots. Occupies the boredom.

Upvote 0

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
I buck tradition and glue—but ONLY the finish knot(s). It’s the best way I’ve found to keep it from eventually unraveling. Like Fishy said above, you want the weave portion of the braid to continue to dig into the leader material.

Edit—this is for FG. I haven’t jumped into the bobbin brigade just yet.
Same. It's nice to have for longer, heavier leaders that may go back and forth through the guides a lot and you don't retie much.

Reactions: RichG and TOTW
Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
I finish under and over hand knots. 3 each way. When I see the tag starting to unravel, it's time to retie the 6 foot leader.

Reactions: RichG
Upvote 0

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
Bartlett, IL
Name
Greg
Boat
Looking for a new one
I almost exclusively use an FG that's just off the reel. I tie about 5 half hitches, mostly to create a little space to the tag end of the spectra. I pull the knot super tight and then apply a tiny bit of TAC to the middle of the half hitches. As long as none of the TAC reaches the tag end of the spectra, it will be very flexible though the guides.

Upvote 0