Do I need this reel.

Fishpro

Mar 13, 2017
Brooklyn
Name
George Zillini
Boat
George Zillini
Hey guys I am going to be doing my first long range trip this July or next July. Probably on the shogun not sure still doing some research. I What to do a 6-8 day trip. I don’t know what type of trip to do. I know I want to get some YT and some tuna and wahoo. . I have a bunch of reels already.
Talica 12
Talica 20
Trq25n2ld
Trq302ld
Makiara 15sea
My ? is I can get a good deal on new
Trq40n2ld
Do I need this size reel or should I get a 16 size reel. Or I don’t need anything else. lol. Yeah right.
Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
George.

swami 805

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Don’t need much, looks like you’re covered. Kind of early in the year for wahoo on a 8 day but you never know. You could use your 20 in place of a 16. Be nice to have that trq40 too but don’t need it
Take the money you’d spend on reels and bump it up to a 10 day, the 2 extra days Really give the boat more options

Fishpro

Mar 13, 2017
Brooklyn
Name
George Zillini
Boat
George Zillini
Thanks swami. Is July a decent month or is August better. I’m off for the summer so would like to go either of those months.

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Later in summer is usually better but who knows. Back in the olden days early summer trips would fish albacore right outa the gate, wish they’d show up again . It’s was like a tune up for the rest of the trip.
My advice go when you can as long as you can, all the trips are good, just some are better than others

Fishpro

Mar 13, 2017
Brooklyn
Name
George Zillini
Boat
George Zillini
It’s fishing I understand been doing it my whole life on the east coast. I have been wanting to do one of these trips for over 30years. Thanks again for the info.

Last edited:
Reactions: pacificscout

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Hey guys I am going to be doing my first long range trip this July or next July. Probably on the shogun not sure still doing some research. I What to do a 6-8 day trip. I don’t know what type of trip to do. I know I want to get some YT and some tuna and wahoo. . I have a bunch of reels already.
Talica 12
Talica 20
Trq25n2ld
Trq302ld
Makiara 15sea
Trq40n2ld
Do I need this size reel or should I get a 16 size reel. Or I don’t need anything else. lol. Yeah right.
George.

As much as I think the TRQ40NLD2 is my overall favorite reel, on a tactical basis, it fulfills the same role as your TAC20.
Up until 2016, you could get by on most 6-8 day trips without an International 16VISX [or similar].
However, the past four seasons have seen anglers encounter tuna of amazing sizes, even on relatively short local trips.
In many cases longer trips fished close to home on the first or last days to take chance at the monsters.
A 16VISX is probably the minimum to be seriously considered a "cow" reel, although of course TRQ40NLD2's etc. have certainly landed supers on many occasions.
In most cases the boat will have a 50 or even an 80-size reel for you to use on your kite turn, but even a 20 can be hard to hang onto during all-night session of repetitively dropping jigs.
The 16VISX would be the next hole to fill, given your already well-represented lineup.

On a 16VISX

Attachments

Reactions: thefishcatcher

Fishpro

Mar 13, 2017
Brooklyn
Name
George Zillini
Boat
George Zillini
As much as I think the TRQ40NLD2 is my overall favorite reel, on a tactical basis, it fulfills the same role as your TAC20.
Up until 2016, you could get by on most 6-8 day trips without an International 16VISX [or similar].
However, the past four seasons have seen anglers encounter tuna of amazing sizes, even on relatively short local trips.
In many cases longer trips fished close to home on the first or last days to take chance at the monsters.
A 16VISX is probably the minimum to be seriously considered a "cow" reel, although of course TRQ40NLD2's etc. have certainly landed supers on many occasions.
In most cases the boat will have a 50 or even an 80-size reel for you to use on your kite turn, but even a 20 can be hard to hang onto during all-night session of repetitively dropping jigs.
The 16VISX would be the next hole to fill, given your already well-represented lineup.

On a 16VISX
Thanks Tunanorth I was really thinking of getting the 16visx. My buddy is coming with me and I told him to get the 16. Thanks.

richardblufin

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 23, 2009
POWAY CA
Name
Richard Jones
Boat
Bigger is Better Thats what she said

On a 16VISX
Get Busy write that book Steve.

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
George, you mentions YT, tuna and Wahoo. I agree a longer trip of 8 to 10 days is better. Also Wahoo usually don't show till the Fall, say Oct and November. They have be found earlier but not the norm. Most of the July and August trips are 5 to 7 days, focus on YT, YFT, Albacore (if they are close) and bluefin. The last several years the bigger bluefin have been around. Again there is no guarantee the bigger bluefin will stick around.

As far as a good deal on a new reel. I see you are in the East so I can't really comment. In CA we have the Fred Hall Show, early March, and generally the manufactures give the dealers a deal and the retailers usually pass it on. So If you have a super large fishing show close by, I'd check it out. Also during the first week in March you might be able to get a deal with some of the So CA retailers and not have to go to the show. I know Charkbait usually has a discount on stuff. You might check with Bob Sands as well. There are probably others as well.

Watch the threads closely and check the web sites. Occasionally you'll find one on EBay or the BD thread as a good price.

We love our addiction, welcome to the club.

Rich

Fishpro

Mar 13, 2017
Brooklyn
Name
George Zillini
Boat
George Zillini
George, you mentions YT, tuna and Wahoo. I agree a longer trip of 8 to 10 days is better. Also Wahoo usually don't show till the Fall, say Oct and November. They have be found earlier but not the norm. Most of the July and August trips are 5 to 7 days, focus on YT, YFT, Albacore (if they are close) and bluefin. The last several years the bigger bluefin have been around. Again there is no guarantee the bigger bluefin will stick around.

As far as a good deal on a new reel. I see you are in the East so I can't really comment. In CA we have the Fred Hall Show, early March, and generally the manufactures give the dealers a deal and the retailers usually pass it on. So If you have a super large fishing show close by, I'd check it out. Also during the first week in March you might be able to get a deal with some of the So CA retailers and not have to go to the show. I know Charkbait usually has a discount on stuff. You might check with Bob Sands as well. There are probably others as well.

Watch the threads closely and check the web sites. Occasionally you'll find one on EBay or the BD thread as a good price.

We love our addiction, welcome to the club.

Rich
Thanks Rich. I understand about no guarantees. Lol it’s fishing not catching. I can get that TRQ40NLD2 for $350 NIB.

Reactions: RichG

themacs

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 18, 2003
San Clemente CA
Name
scott
Boat
none
Depends where you go. With Cedros out, you can go past Cedros to the upper part of the ridge. Or Guadalupe. Heck we have gone to the rocks on a 7 day. San Clemente Island is a possibility if the big bluefin are biting. Then there are times when good fishing is simply offshore.

If you went to the rocks, then 3 days of fishing on a 7 day. Other places 4-5 days are possible. Average 4 days.

8 days, add a day fishing if you don't go deep into the ridge.

Have a blast!

Reactions: FLLR1 and RichG

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
I've had my Torque 40N for a few years. This last year I used it as my main yo yo reel since I've not found the sweet spot for yo yoing since I got rid of my wahoo special. The Torque is absolutely great for yo yoing, especially at big yellowtail areas like Alijos and Guadalupe. In my opinion you do need this reel. If you can get it at $350($200 off) then you definitely need it. Buy it. If you decide you don't like it (unlikely) you can still sell it at a profit.

Fishpro

Mar 13, 2017
Brooklyn
Name
George Zillini
Boat
George Zillini
Thanks for the information on the reel. I have made up my mind I will be getting it. Next round of questions will be about rods. I have a bunch of 7 foot Calstars.
2-light
2-medium
2- heavy
1- xheavy
I also have a 7 foot Sabre Grafast 20-50.
Will any of these be good.

themacs

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 18, 2003
San Clemente CA
Name
scott
Boat
none
If the Calstars are Graphiters or newer you have no need for more. Unless you want a 7'6" wahoo rod. If you have a 700 H your fine on wahoo for a 7-8 day trip.
Of course if you WANT more, so be it :) :)

Reactions: RichG

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
You should be fine with the Cal Stars you have. The 875 H or HX if your looking at a 7’6” rod. I probably would not get an 8 foot rod, since it might be a bit long to ship.

if your serious about another rod the H or HX would br great for Wahoo and YT.

you can always check with the boat your on and see what loaners they have.

JamesTaylor

Jan 7, 2019
Cypress, Ca
Name
James Taylor
Boat
Not yet

On a 16VISX
Nice fish Steve. Just wondering, What rod did you have your 16 on in that photo?

Fishpro

Mar 13, 2017
Brooklyn
Name
George Zillini
Boat
George Zillini
Monday at 8:36 PM
Add bookmark
Talica 12
Talica 20
Trq25n2ld
Trq302ld
Makiara 15sea
Trq40n2ld
George.
Thanks guys for all the helpful info. I bought the 40N I had to ($325) NIB.
What pound test braid and top shot should I set up my reels with.

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
I have mine backed with 80. I mainly fish 60# topshots on it. It's a versatile reel so I'm sure you'll find someplace where you'll use it a lot.

Fishpro

Mar 13, 2017
Brooklyn
Name
George Zillini
Boat
George Zillini
I have mine backed with 80. I mainly fish 60# topshots on it. It's a versatile reel so I'm sure you'll find someplace where you'll use it a lot.
Thanks Lake what do you suggest for the other reels I have. The Talica is backed with 100. I have to spool the other reels. I have a spool of 65lb J Braid.

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
The Talica 12, Mak 15, Torque 25 and 30 would all be good backed with 65# braid. The Torque 40 could also be backed with 65# braid, but sometimes you might want to fish up to 80 on it.