Do I just suck at lingcod fishing or what?

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat Name
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
That's just so sad, knowing how loaded with lingcod Possession used to be. . .and not even that long ago.
fb

True. Have you seen the pressure it gets? Every inch of it has been pounded by the end of day 1.

Then extend that for a month and a half. It's where the internet says to go for lings and so that's where people go. The internet is hard on fish.

Upvote 0

Mpizzle

Bobber down!
Jul 18, 2010
Mt Vernon
Name
Matt
Boat Name
20’ Glasply
This has been beaten to a pulp in this thread but using the kicker to back into current is absoltely imperative.

I can't even count the number of times I am on a spot backing in to the current and BARELY able to get a successful drift (in strong current) and see other boats around me not using their motor at all and getting their gear all scoped out and getting snagged up left and right up. The only time I won't be on the kicker is soft current or slack tide, and in my opinion those are my least favorite times to fish. I like a pretty decent current to get the boat moving and then back into it to slow the drift. Deadly.

Upvote 0

Tish

Jun 27, 2019
Shoreline WA
Name
Grant
Boat Name
2011 Pursuit 315 OS
Wanted to revisit this thread, have been working on my backtrolling technique and am pleased to report some fish and chips have been consumed this year.

I see some boats (maybe 10% of them) anchoring up while the rest of us drift and back troll, I would guess to stay right on top of a particularly good hole or whatever... tempted to try this since I am lazy and enjoy halibut fishing anchored up. I have a fairly standard cheapie halibut anchoring setup with a poly ball, a cheap claw anchor, crab line for rode, a quick release on a line from bow to rear corner to get off anchor quick etc.

Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat Name
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
Also.......... may sound obvious, but fish on the slack. Then after the slack nail the drift, it should be minimal right after slack. Figure out the drift, then drift through the best structure or areas. You can cover more grounds at less speed....right after slack..
If you're using jigs, miracle thread some herring fillets on the sides. Deadly...

Reactions: Tish
Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat Name
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
Wanted to revisit this thread, have been working on my backtrolling technique and am pleased to report some fish and chips have been consumed this year.

I see some boats (maybe 10% of them) anchoring up while the rest of us drift and back troll, I would guess to stay right on top of a particularly good hole or whatever... tempted to try this since I am lazy and enjoy halibut fishing anchored up. I have a fairly standard cheapie halibut anchoring setup with a poly ball, a cheap claw anchor, crab line for rode, a quick release on a line from bow to rear corner to get off anchor quick etc.
I would never anchor for lings. You gotta cover ground. They’re typically sitting on the bottom not swimming around as they are ambush predators. You have to put something in front of them they aren’t going to come to you.

Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat Name
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
I would never anchor for lings. You gotta cover ground. They’re typically sitting on the bottom not swimming around as they are ambush predators. You have to put something in front of them they aren’t going to come to you.
X2 with the amount of structure they like, also could get an anchor wedged in a second. I typically fish the craggly crap, but have caught on banks as well (by-catch trolling for salmon).

Reactions: MA9
Upvote 0

Tish

Jun 27, 2019
Shoreline WA
Name
Grant
Boat Name
2011 Pursuit 315 OS
OK, will skip the anchoring... have never tried it for lings and was wondering if the folks who were anchoring up know something I don't. Covering ground for an ambush predator certainly makes sense. I'll be out there again this weekend, will report back... tight lines all!

Upvote 0

Socket985

Almost A Member
Jun 6, 2008
Buckley Wa
Name
Mark
Boat Name
21 ft ThunderJet OB/OS
You got to fish where the fish are. My recommendation since your asking to do something differently. get a couple guys who know how to bottom fish, make sure someone runs the boat full time and can read a sounder to keep guys on the piles of fish you find using your electronics. Go to Westport, Neah Bay, gotta get out in the ocean. make sure you have anchovies, shrimp flies, Curley tail jigs and other such as point wilson darts in white/green/red etc. Have good quality fishing reels/rods (I like line counters) that can twitch the presentation properly. If you don't find the schools of fish, move on to the next spot. Here's a few pics from Westport. All caught near shore.

Ling Cod .jpg

Westport Fish .jpg

Reactions: Nineball
Upvote 0

Latest posts