Do deckhand style rods have a place in the Long Range scene?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by socal53, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    I have all deckhand rods for a few reasons. I have way out of square body like fincutter (I’m am 6’4” with a wingspan of 6’10”) and moving the reel forward really helps me get the reel where I need it. Second, I love the lightness and sensitivity of just a single wrap of corktape, it just feels better to me having your hands that close to the blank itself and you can really feel every little kick the bait makes. Third, it’s easy to replace it once it gets worn out.

I have solved the issues of a less than sturdy connection or crushing a blank by using an appropriate sized cork puppy on all but my lightest (#15-25) outfits.

It’s a preference thing honestly and there is no wrong answer here. Everything I have above #60 has a reel seat and I just make do where it sits. In all honesty, at these higher line tests I’m using the rail and the longer foregrip is better suited for just this anyhow.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Idatuna, socal53, terryc. and 4 others like this.
  2. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    Just for the record, I have found that the price difference between custom and factory is very little, but that may just be me.

For years I had only one true "jig stick," that I got from Tony Hale at OC Rods. I liked it a lot, but didn't use that much because it's only in the past three years or so that I got to be any good at throwing surface iron (still nothing to brag about). It was good for Summer schoolies and yellows, and I had a lot of fun with it. But I really didn't like the absence of a reel seat. I didn't like using the cork puppy or having to line up the reel so carefully. It wasn't enough to keep me from using the rod, though.

Of course, that rod was one of the ten that I had stolen the night before my last trip. Now I don't have any jig stick, and am thinking about ordering a new one. If I do, I'll have Ken Bush build it, and I want a reel seat on it. I haven't decided on a blank so far, and my next Summer trip is over Labor Day. I guess I'll have to make up my mind soon or go without.

For what it's worth, the biggest fish I ever caught on that deckhand style rod was a decent yellow about 24lbs. The rod worked fine for that, but I am not sure how it would have handled a significantly bigger fish.

To the OP, I guess the call is yours. I like reel seats, but I can see where the right rod might catch fish up to 80 or 100lbs, depending on the reel (and the angler!). If you already have the rods, you can try them out. I wouldn't go cow fishing with them, though.

socal53 likes this.
  3. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    ZZZZZ
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    This is my last 100J I had wrapped. Cork tape and x tube is not durable and gets destroyed rather easily. Cork tape gets destroyed the fastest but feels good.

Now this stuff is tough with very good grip with cold shrink for reel seat. Cold shrink aids in keeping the reel from moving and chewing the grip. It also keeps the reel as low as possible to the blank so the line coming off the reel has less friction going through the guides. I fish my reel considerably higher then most. For my style with the reel more forward it helps me shut the long rod down and achieve a better (push and pull) when firing.

This is the bomb grip
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I got interested in trying to capture larger yft with a skip jig is when I realized a more durable grip is necessary so the rod does not get damaged on a LR rail. A spot of fish popped up and I grabbed branmans 10 footer and fkd it up a tad :D with a 76lber the Newell was toast afterwards, thanks bro :chestram2LOL

[​IMG]

Owner 4x trebble. Pinned in the cheek. Great replacement hook for this type of skip jig application

[​IMG]

Rod damage with cork grip
    [​IMG]

No rod damage with this grip
    [​IMG]

I don't use the rail often with a 10 footer but towards the end game on a big fish for a 10 footer, I might use the rail to hold the fish at color or a quick breather. Reason why I don't like cork tape for OFF SHORE jig sticks but I do love how cork tape feels and I prefer cork tape for inshore and skiff fishing

socal53 likes this.
  4. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    I wish the pictures worked, I’m very interested!

mcrae likes this.
  5. ReelDealAngler-

ReelDealAngler- Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    I use the deck hand style on my casting jig sticks and longer 8 foot light live bait rods (40lbs and under). Have had some problems on the heavier jig sticks especially when hooked up to 35lb+ YT or larger grade tuna as the reel would twist under heavy crank in the heavy load mode... went to the Tiburon clamp and it has worked well for me as it is more like a reel seat and helps stabilize the side to side twist, I also use the Cork Puppy clamps on all my other deck hand style rods. I just have my rod wrapper put 34" of cork tape with X Rap over it and then secure my reel where it feels best for my longer arms based on the casting application at hand. I like a little more rod on the back end so I can pull down as I swing through on the long cast using the long rod. IMO, the advantages of the deck hand style is they are lighter in weight (so less fatigue when when casting a lot), they also allow you to place the reel where you want (better ergonomics and feel) depending on application (for me that's a casting application using jigs/surface artificials in all shapes, sizes and weights as well as smaller fin bait like chovies and sardines fished on 15lb to 40lb.

G

socal53 likes this.
  6. socal53

socal53 Member

Name:
    Chano J
    Boat:
    so far the AA
    X2

7. bkaz

bkaz Pharmfisher

Name:
    BKAZ
    Boat:
    None
    Had a Calstar 775 XH custom wrapped last year and paid a bit more for the custom wrap work of art.

8. okie man

okie man Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    kerry way
    Boat:
    18' javalin
    My only complaint about deckhand style rods is on the newer thin diameter blanks even 2 layers of cork tape leaves a very tough rod too get a grip on.

9. seabass630

seabass630 Member

Name:
    carlos
    Boat:
    No boat
    On my deckhand style Rods, I use TIBURON CLAMP is as good as a reel seat

10. Tom Honaker

Tom Honaker Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tom Honaker
    Boat:
    Royal Star
    When I was a much younger man, I caught a 140# bluefin on a 10 foot cal star 540 rod on the cortez bank. With a 338 newel reel, straight mono, throwing surface iron for yellowtail. We had 40 # yellows boiling on chum, the funniest thing, back then, it was the best tackle available, and you never thought you were out of the game. Wouldn't want to do that again. Things have changed since then obviously! That was in the late 80's. I still have that 540, it was wrapped at west coast tackle, The owner of performance tackle, in Cerritos Ca ,Mark Higatchi wrapped it. So I guess the moral of this story, is yes, you can long range fish with deckhand rods!

11. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    ZZZZZ
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    Rad well done. You are in the 100lb tunafish ten foot rod surface iron club. Aka 100lb ten foot rod club. I want in!!!! :D

The pics show on my side. I'm not good at computer stuff. I will try and figure out why they didn't post. Thanks for letting me know dudes

12. harddrive

harddrive Wish I Was Fishing!

Name:
    Min
    Boat:
    None
    Actually, no reel seat. Straight onto the cork. It was a slow fishing, so there was one to help him with the fish and another one that had the screwdriver to tighten the reel clamp. The cork was shreaded.

mcrae likes this.
  13. Idatuna

Idatuna Member

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Bog Jumper
    " I love the lightness and sensitivity of just a single wrap of corktape, it just feels better to me having your hands that close to the blank itself and you can really feel every little kick the bait makes. Third, it’s easy to replace it once it gets worn out."

Yup, my bait rods are all deckhand style.