DMV boat title transfer question

pbfishes

Apr 29, 2018
San Diego
Name
Peter B
Boat
JC 31
So I bought a skiff (currently no motor, no trailer) from a guy, he gave me signed pink slip, but from the guy he bought it from. I didn't get him to write me out a bill of sale.

(Pretty sure the guy I got it from bought it together with the cargo trailer it was on top of, and he only wanted the trailer).

I'm not entirely sure how long ago that transaction took place, but there were 2017 stickers and reg with the pink slip.

If I just fill out the pink as if the first guy sold it directly to me, am I going to hit any snags at DMV?

Is it going to be any kind of issue that the registration is lapsed?

I can go back and try to get a bill of sale, but it would be a long drive just for the paper. But if I'm going to need it at DMV, I'd rather do that first than go wait at DMV and be told to come back with a bill of sale.

Upvote 0

fishboy93

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 25, 2012
West Coast
Name
Ryan
Boat
It floats
Think you’d be fine just signing the pink slip sounds like you’ll have some reg fees and late fees due which is probably why the guy you bought the boat from didn’t file the paperwork.

Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    Fill out the Pink then go to AAA, much easier to deal with.

Upvote 0

txmxer

May 20, 2018
    Newport Beach
    Name
    SO
    Boat
    Looking
    If you're saying that the original owner (title holder with name on title) signed the title but the back where you fill out the new owner registration is not filled out, then yes. You just fill out the new owner part and you'll be good.

Titles often skip around people without being registered in-between. From the sounds of it, the guy you bought it from bought it as a package and wanted the trailer and didn't register the boat for that reason.

Now the other part of this that happens: You bought from the seller, the title holder filled out his portion of the title and now the guy you bought it from had already filled out the title with his own information and gave it to you. DO NOT cross out any of the old info on the title. You will need a bill of sale if this is the case.

Now I'm not advocating this, but I have heard rumors of people filling out bill of sales when needed. I mean you did get the title so its a legal transaction. Just print the form online and fill out the vin/boat info and take the bill of sale with you.

But to not complicate things, if the guy you bought it from has no info filled out on the title or any registration in his name it will be easier to just go about it like you bought from the original owner who is on the title.

Also recommend using triple A

Upvote 0

pbfishes

Apr 29, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Peter B
    Boat
    JC 31
    txmxr, yes, I left that part out. the back of the pink slip has NOT been filled out.

So it sounds like I should be fine if I just fill that out and submit it...

If it's like a car, I assume the original owner would have submitted a release of liability with the guy I bought it from's name and information. Although the pink is signed, it isn't dated. So it seems a little weird if I put a date that is totally different than when he submitted the release of liability. But I could text the guy I bought it from and ask him when he bought it...

Can I use AAA if I am not a member? I imagine I would pay some fee for that, since I'm not a member.

Upvote 0

txmxer

May 20, 2018
    Newport Beach
    Name
    SO
    Boat
    Looking
    txmxr, yes, I left that part out. the back of the pink slip has NOT been filled out.

So it sounds like I should be fine if I just fill that out and submit it...

If it's like a car, I assume the original owner would have submitted a release of liability with the guy I bought it from's name and information. Although the pink is signed, it isn't dated. So it seems a little weird if I put a date that is totally different than when he submitted the release of liability. But I could text the guy I bought it from and ask him when he bought it...

Can I use AAA if I am not a member? I imagine I would pay some fee for that, since I'm not a member.

I’ve submitted titles with a different date from the release of liability and not ran into issues in the past but as with most things with the dmv it could’ve been luck. I personally would just date it within thirty days, fill it out, and register it. I think you’ll be fine.

If he put a price on the release of liability you’ll have to match that up but since it was a package deal I guess you could always say that was the price of the trailer and not the boat and it was a mix up.

I think you’ll be fine, those releases get lost or never sent a lot of times too. The last two I sent in for vehicles I’ve sold were never recorded by the dmv lol

Triple A costs $60 for membership to use their dmv services. Worth it in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    "I had it filled out and was all set but had some work issues come up and was out of town and I couldn't get over here to turn it in, one thing led to another and I forgot until now..." if they ask, which I doubt they will.

Upvote 0