kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
happy fourth everyone!!!! today i've declared my independence from premature bait death!! i started to convert my bait tank into a pressure bait tank. easy enough.....

added a thru hull with a bait sentry pump
added a additional fitting to the tank to hook up second pump to.
made a gasketed lid for the tank out of some scrap stainless and lexan.
removed old drain hose and added a valve to control drain flow

i hope this works!!! should be going out wednesday to test, i'll report how it did.
heres some pics...

bait tank.jpg bait tank 2.jpg bait tank 3.jpg bait tank 4.jpg

Reactions: Ryan_J and 909MARIO
Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Too much pressure in that tank and your pumps wont be pumping a lot of fresh water into the tank.You may end up killing bait.

Reactions: kevina
Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
yes it will be a experiment for sure. i've got 2 pumps feeding it, a rule 1100 and a bait sentry. im hoping for good flow, and to let it drain, just not as fast as its filling.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Could also cut a slat at the top along the stainless and have it drain out of the lid if the lid has a latch.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
Okay I must have missed something. What is the theory? What are you trying to accomplish? I understand you want more flow, but you don't want it to drain as fast as it is filling? When you say "flow" I am assuming flow = volume. If you put 3 cu ft in you need to get 3 cu ft out, yes if you don't the water has to go somewhere.. or it will build pressure (the idea behind the sealed latch?) since the tank was never intended to hold pressure, how much do you think it will hold before it comes apart? What do you think will happen when you open the latch to get bait out? The key to keeping your bait alive in your tank is three things, the 02 content in the water and keeping the temp and waste down... the easiest way to do this is by replacing the water in the tank with fresh water as quickly as possible.

Sorry, I'll wait for your explanation of what you are trying to do rather than tell you something you already know... since I am making an assumption of what you are trying to do. Like we know, to assume = making an ass out of u and me.

Nothing I like more than seeing someone using their brain and ability to improve things

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
www.yayacalls.com
Name
Stefan
Boat
Grady White 263 Chase
Guys I used to do this long ago with a spare, forward mounted bait tank.

On my tank I had a piece of clear acrylic that was larger than the opening, it had 4 round acrylic plugs in the corners. I would put it into the tank, lift it up against the opening and keep secured with a bungee. This would stop sloshing and keep air bubbles to a minimum extending bait life. I worked well

Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
someone posted this video awhile back, peaked my interest so i had to see for myself. the idea is that without air in the tank, and a lid that contained water not letting it escape or slosh around, that the bait will not slosh around and get beat up.
they call it pressurized but im not sure there will be any measurable amount of pressure, just a positive flow faster than its draining.

heres the inspirational video......

Upvote 0

errock_22

It wont happen if you don’t go
Apr 6, 2008
Ventura / SB
Name
Eric B.
Boat
F/V El Tiburon - 25’ Custom Anderson
See vid. I think this is what he's trying to achieve. I dig the concept, my boat can get places in a hurry, if I didn't have to back it down to save the bait, I could get more time in on the grounds. Let us know how testing goes!

Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
Damn, I did this almost 20 years ago, specifically during the 97 El Nino to keep bait alive when running offshore

yes its definitely not my idea, got inspired by the video, i'd never seen anything like it before and just had to try it.once i started thinking about it made sense.

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
www.yayacalls.com
Name
Stefan
Boat
Grady White 263 Chase
yes its definitely not my idea, got inspired by the video, i'd never seen anything like it before and just had to try it.once i started thinking about it made sense.

You will be surprised how well the bait does if you remove the sloshing, especially when bait is weak during warm water periods and high demand/ less cured time

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Why did you select a gate valve for your outlet?
They are not the best for controlling flow and are easy to break in a working environment like a boat? Ball valves or butterfly valves are better options.
1286784_5791f700d7eab8cfdbb336a498591db4_thumb.jpg

Reactions: 909MARIO
Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Wasnt there an article in PCSF about this in the last few issues?

They used a piece of lexan and rubber seal inside the tank pulling up with a bungie and stick spanning the opening. That makes less added volume then a lid on top.

Anyway, I hope it works....or you learn something. Those are the two best outcomes.

Good luck

Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
Why did you select a gate valve for your outlet?
They are not the best for controlling flow and are easy to break in a working environment like a boat? Ball valves or butterfly valves are better options.
1286784_5791f700d7eab8cfdbb336a498591db4_thumb.jpg

well in hemet on the fourth of july my options were limited. also i did like the handle hopefully it will be easier to operate. the bait tank goes on my swimstep, so it would be hard to reach a ball valve. i am a bit worried about durability.

Upvote 0

J-Dog

Almost A Member
Nov 13, 2007
Valencia
Name
Jason
Boat
43' Bertram "PierFection"
No pressure valve or gate valve required, and no chance of rupturing your bait tank. The simple fix.....
On the overflow port on your tank run a piece of PVC straight up about 10-12" above the top of your tank. Now you would have to pitch or roll your boat enough to raise or lower you tank 10-12" inches side to side or front to back to get any air in it (that would be like 45 degree roll). You will have the same flow in as you have out = less than 0.5 psi pressure increase in the tank. You now will also have free flowing bait pumps that will not be overheating and overloaded trying to push against the previously discussed gate valves, pressure valves and the like. Very simple fix. The hardest thing to do is seal the lid which you already did.

As an additional feature. When you make the 10-12" extension on the overflow, do it with a 90 degree elbow that gives you a tight but turntable fitting. The benefit is when you want to get bait out you turn the fitting so that the extension now points straight down. With the fitting in the down position your water level goes back down to the stock level and you do not get bait and water overflowing when you open your tank. Ready to run and gun to the next paddy, just rotate the overflow tube back in the straight up position.

Upvote 0

J-Dog

Almost A Member
Nov 13, 2007
Valencia
Name
Jason
Boat
43' Bertram "PierFection"
Looking at your setup again. If your lid seal is 100% than you will have air trapped in the top of your tank no matter how you set it up. You will need to drill a tiny hole in the very top of your tank your lid, or a small hole in your seal to let the water push the air out. It will only take a tiny hole (like 1/8-1/4") to do the job and you will have just a small dribble of water come out after the air evacuates from the system.

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
www.yayacalls.com
Name
Stefan
Boat
Grady White 263 Chase
Looking at your setup again. If your lid seal is 100% than you will have air trapped in the top of your tank no matter how you set it up. You will need to drill a tiny hole in the very top of your tank your lid, or a small hole in your seal to let the water push the air out. It will only take a tiny hole (like 1/8-1/4") to do the job and you will have just a small dribble of water come out after the air evacuates from the system.

This.

Reactions: 909MARIO and Manbat
Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
3 sides are sealed, the side where the hinge is has no gasket, and about a 16th of a inch gap. hoping its not too much.

Upvote 0

909MARIO

Jun 30, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga
Name
Mario
Boat
Homeless
I'm glad you posted this. I have been thinking of ways to mod my bait tanks that are built into my boat.

I had an accident that helped me discover how well this works.

I had some anchovies that got stuck in the Overflow drain on my bait tank on a fishing trip and what resulted was interesting. The water had to flow out of the top and so I kept the lid shut and since there is no gasket the water just kept flowing out of the top. By the end of the fishing trip I noticed since I have 2 separate tanks that the bait tank with the water flowing out the top the bait look much better than the other bait tank. Most of the anchovies in my other bait tank were dead and in the bait tank with the water flowing out of the top most of the anchovies were still alive. Probably because there was no sloshing. So now I've been toying with ideas on how to modify both bait tanks. If you look at Yellowfin yachts they have pressurized bait tanks also

Reactions: errock_22
Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
pressurizing water.....hmmmm.....that will be a good trick with a bait pump....any force you put on water will be exerted on the container it is in...with the impeller being part of that container you will either burn up pumps or reduce the flow

Upvote 0

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Ships & Giggles (32' double deck pontoon)
pressurizing water.....hmmmm.....that will be a good trick with a bait pump....any force you put on water will be exerted on the container it is in...with the impeller being part of that container you will either burn up pumps or reduce the flow

I think "pressurized" is not really what is happening with this setup... and most "pressurized" tanks... its really more of not having any air in the tank so the water can not slosh... basic theory is force water to displace all the air in the tank before tank water starts draining... no air no slosh and that makes for better bait life... my 2c

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
www.yayacalls.com
Name
Stefan
Boat
Grady White 263 Chase
I think "pressurized" is not really what is happening with this setup... and most "pressurized" tanks... its really more of not having any air in the tank so the water can not slosh... basic theory is force water to displace all the air in the tank before tank water starts draining... no air no slosh and that makes for better bait life... my 2c

DING DING DING

Upvote 0