DIY Power Wrapper with Assorted Parts- Need a good Rod Stands

seachunk2

Dec 18, 2012
ny
Name
sal
Boat
seapo
I've been putting together a power wrapper with a variety of parts I came across or made. It started with a Grainger motor and a Mercury Electric foot pedal, old style Pac Bay chuck and stand, Pac Bay dryer motor. All bought at an estate sale. I mounted this on aluminum base panel and I put together all the electricals in a metal box that include a on-off-on switch to control either the wrapper motor or the dryer motor. The wrapper motor runs from an in-line rheostat so I can regulate the foot pedal easily.
I'm using a Hand Wrapper system for the thread spools that mounts perfectly on the base I'm using.

Next I need to assemble the rod stands. I'll need at least 4. I'd want them adjustable for height.

Are there any build designs out there or a source of something similar already assembled that won't cost a bundle?
I prefer a metal type as opposed to wood. I'd want wheels, not just a v notch with felt.
Trying to keep total costs fairly low. New Hobby for me.

PW1.jpg

Upvote 0

Woodhunter

Jun 12, 2011
Port Angeles, WA
Name
Big John
Boat
Classic MAKO 22
I will put some photos up and show you a few variations:

Below is a rod wrapper I made in the 1970's when the things were really rare. The stands were made from plywood, 1/8" thick aluminum plate, some 3/8" diameter stainless steel tubing and 3/4" square pieces of walnut. Rollers were the cheapie plastic swivel wheels used on furniture. The rollers would mark the blank so I wrapped the blank with masking tape where the rollers ran. The overall unit worked very well, I wrapped maybe 75 rods on it, most were 9-1/2 foot Salmon Mooching rods on one piece LamiGlas blanks.

p1QGUSc.jpg

AiZYWz1.jpg

HATwvVc.jpg

The below stands were sold by Dale Clemons in the 1980's. I have had them a long time and eventually will build another wrapper using them. Aluminum plate and steel rods. The extra set of rollers on the left stand are for the butt of big diameter blanks. Thumb screws for vertical adjusting. Bases are too big, I will cut them down.

HwMHXEx.jpg

I now use an Alps. A good wrapper but the blanks tend to jump out of the stands: I made a few modifications to the stands to prevent this. Main thing with the stand, and all other wrappers, is to have the blank level in the stands.

iY6Gdrp.jpg

PKCIXwL.jpg

Reactions: Cubeye and ripped
Upvote 0

seachunk2

Dec 18, 2012
ny
Name
sal
Boat
seapo
Thanks Big John. The Alps stands is the general design I have in mind since they are adjustable. The mod you made is the installation of the spring or is that they way they are made?

Upvote 0

Woodhunter

Jun 12, 2011
Port Angeles, WA
Name
Big John
Boat
Classic MAKO 22
Thanks Big John. The Alps stands is the general design I have in mind since they are adjustable. The mod you made is the installation of the spring or is that they way they are made?
The spring comes with the stand from Alps.

My mod replaces the overarm screw with a longer screw (actually a small carriage bolt) and a plastic wing nut so the overarm may be tightened to prevent it lifting up.

Below, modified stand on the right.

myRSTGS.jpg

I have a post on how I do this here on BD, I will find it and post the link.

Look close at the photo below: Rubber soft jaw inserts on the chuck and masking tape on the blank helps keep the blank in the chuck. And the upgrade chuck has a locking screw so when you tighten up the chuck you can use the locking screw to prevent the chuck from loosening.

l4vWF42.jpg

Upvote 0

seachunk2

Dec 18, 2012
ny
Name
sal
Boat
seapo
Big John...looking at the Dale Celmon's stands more closely is giving me some ideas. I think I can make these work for me very well if a can source some material for the base and cross section. I'd prefer an aluminum material but wood or a plastic might be a lot easier to find. The threaded rods and wheels and should be easy to find.Thx!

Upvote 0

Woodhunter

Jun 12, 2011
Port Angeles, WA
Name
Big John
Boat
Classic MAKO 22
You can find aluminum bar stock on ebay. In short lengths. If you wish I will measure the bars on the Clemons stands.

You do not need bases that large, make them smaller.

The rods are not threaded, the stand cross pieces slide up and down and are held in place with thumbscrews. They are 1/4" diameter.

Upvote 0

GaffnLaff

Rum is Tackle
Dec 3, 2003
Bay Park
Visit site
Name
Dave Cairncross
Boat
Currently looking for a new Ho'ing opportunity
I made my lathe except for the chuck with parts laying around in the shop
20181206_064014.jpg
20181206_063959.jpg
. Wheels were hard to find.

Reactions: Cubeye
Upvote 0

Woodhunter

Jun 12, 2011
Port Angeles, WA
Name
Big John
Boat
Classic MAKO 22
Wheels: You really do not need ball bearings. I have wrapped over 100 rods on old school wrappers with plastic rollers. I now use an Alps, but I am gathering parts to build a pair of dedicated dryers.

Below, the roller is a "wire rope pully" with a groove that takes the 3/16" O Ring nicely. The shoulder bolt is hardened and ground for a smooth finish. A drop of oil every few weeks is sufficient.

Pulley on the right has the O Ring seated. I will use this type of roller on the dryers.

sEgMBBH.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Cubeye
Upvote 0

Latest posts