nefarious235

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
A friend gave me one of these ten years plus ago and it's never failed me never took a Groove pulls it tight because you can reverse wrap. Boat Outfitters. Com
Thanks Spark
Or make your own out of starboard.
Screenshot_20190218-192908.png

Reactions: CartridgeCalls

Marc S

Captain
Mar 2, 2012
Calabasas, Calif. USA
Name
Marc
Boat
Inflatable
I use PVC pipe, glue or screw a PVC cap on each end, and then wrap with tennis racquet grip. The grip has a sticky side so it won’t slip on the pipe, the line doesn’t cut through it, it feels good on your hands, it’s easy to replace the grip if needed, and it comes in different colors so you can customize your line pullers, They work great and I’ve made them for friends who love them.

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
("line buster" knot tightener) ... Boat Outfitters. Com...
name and phone number molded in the handle
BoatOutfitters 866-633-7961

this is very interesting ... i can't find a video on it anywhere

the line overlapping looks like trouble to me (cutting into itself), a good video clip could sway me to try it for the hook-pulling feature alone

i would much prefer a PayPal checkout option on the website as that seems about the only place to buy one new

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 9.24.59 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: yessokk

nefarious235

Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam

the line overlapping looks like trouble to me (cutting into itself), a good video clip could sway me to try it for the hook-pulling feature alone

i would much prefer a PayPal checkout option on the website as that seems about the only place to buy one new

View attachment 1002337
When I work with mine I make multiple wraps around the main shaft and only one or two around the arrowhead maximum and that's plenty for pulling on.

Tautog_17

Advertiser
Advertiser
Jul 23, 2012
San Diego, CA USA
Name
Matt
Boat
N/A
today I made some knot pulling dowels in hopes that they would work well for pulling fg knots tight. I cut some 7/8 pvc pipe and put shrink tube on them. I tried like 4 to 5 wraps of spectra around each and the braid just slips and slices right through the wrap.

Any better ideas for material to use that won’t slip and cut?

View attachment 1002016
a few options....#1) finger wrap tape, several wraps. Spectra won't cut through it. Cheap, effective, only downside is the finger wrap absorbs water. Probably the best bang for the buck though. #2) 3M or similar cold shrink wrap - expensive but easy to use #3) EPDM, neoprene or viton rubber - should last forever, only downside is getting it over the wood and making sure it doesn't slip during use. I don't like electrical tape - traces of "goo" from the tape end up on the spectra / line you're using.

Reactions: Justin1976

Justin1976

Also known as IronClaw
Feb 1, 2019
Lodi ca
Name
Justin
Boat
Any that float
name and phone number molded in the handle
BoatOutfitters 866-633-7961

View attachment 1002337
That’s interesting but I wouldn’t want line to overlap either

Reactions: Cubeye

Tautog_17

Advertiser
Advertiser
Jul 23, 2012
San Diego, CA USA
Name
Matt
Boat
N/A
Finger wrap tape works well and it's cheap. Otherwise, if you want something that doesn't absorb water, EPDM, Neoprene or Viton tubing wrapped over a pair of rods will last you forever.

nefarious235

Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam