DIY ceiling-mounted rod holder - A build project that will take as long as some boat rehabs

double_entendre

Zat is not my tuna
Aug 1, 2010
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Bob
Boat Name
Ho, ho, ho your boat
So after my little faux pas with GClev about his fishing rod racks, I figured I should probably put up or shut up.

Step one, swing by my friends at Austin Hardwoods in Santa Ana and buy a piece of wood. Go big or go home, right? How about a 4' long, 6" wide piece of 8/4 teak? I had to plane the edges to get it smooth enough to make a ripping guide line easy to see.

IMG-1966.jpg

IMG-1964.jpg

Old school marking gauge did a great job of making a line that will be really easy for me to not miss when I rip it in half. Or at least will give me no excuses when I screw it up. :/

IMG-1965.jpg

Now get out the old ryoba and start myself off on the right foot.

IMG-1969.jpg

Alrighty! Looking good. Now let's get out the real big dog.

IMG-1970.jpg

Love this beast, but something is gumming up the blade, making it much harder than it needs to be. Could be the jojoba oil I use to keep it from rusting or maybe the teak is seeping something.

Gonna take a while to split this in half in any event. Saw for a while, flip it, saw for a while, flip it. Eventually flip it upside down so that in the best of all worlds you start cuts at both ends and meet in the middle.

More to come.......

Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
Has Moderator Powers
Nov 28, 2003
in the Hood
Name
Mike
Boat Name
Franks ho
Drum sander is your friend.
I'm sure you know that the heavy oil content is the reason for the blade gumming up.

Upvote 0

double_entendre

Zat is not my tuna
Aug 1, 2010
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Bob
Boat Name
Ho, ho, ho your boat
Drum sander is your friend.
I'm sure you know that the heavy oil content is the reason for the blade gumming up.

I wasn’t sure if it was that or the oil I had put on it to keep it from rusting.

Ended up using mineral spirits to clean the gunk off and then a light coat of jojoba oil on it and I’m rocking and rolling.

Don’t have a drum sander, but will dull the hell out of my planes getting that wood flat. Look forward to having a bandsaw someday as I want to build a couple of strip built kayaks for the wife and me and I’m not going to hand cut all those pieces.

Upvote 0

GClev

Newbie for Life
Nov 21, 2015
LA County
Name
Gary C
Boat Name
HMS Hotspur
It's all my fault.

When you're done with that project, here's your next challenge. You'll want to take on a rod wrapper upgrade too. I'm just finishing with this one, but could really use your help with the trim work and your fine carpentry for sure. Bring your brush.

Wrapper 2.jpg

I learned a lot. Do not put the MEK rag on the fresh Varathane.

I'm on to the new reel and lure bench, upstairs in the mezzanine, next to the bar. Zing Zang Mary is my friend.

Then you're going to really need one of those fast choke new concept Fuji jig rods.

Those are not the droids you're looking for.

Upvote 0