Distance to the Coronado Island from

saltydood911

Nov 1, 2022
Los Angeles
Name
David Jeen
Hi everyone,

Been a lurker for awhile, decided to chime in....

As a newbie here, we were planning to slip a boat (actually a friend's 25') but can't decide what would be an ideal location to slip the boat in?

The boat is currently on a trailer (from the Los Angeles area) and we may fish 2-3x's on hot bite months (tails, tunas, dodo's) to 1-2x's in the slower times (rock cod-Mexico).

We usually fish the Nados most of the time, so using that as our "end point", does anyone know the distance (nautical or whatever miles) from Sea World Marina or Marina Village or from Chula Vista Marina?

Looking at Google Maps, it seems almost the same distance to travel from Sea World or MV as it is as far to travel from CVM?

The advantage of slipping from CVM is that the larger bait barge is on the way out versus going from SW or MV, its the smaller bait receiver and on hot bite days, the wait time is much longer (aka the Conga line).

The con from CVM is the slip rates are more pricey.

So to weigh things around, maybe slipping in SW or MV area even though it's cheaper maybe having to run the longer (??) distances equals the same rate of an CVM slip.

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

Fearlessfiasco

Loco Leftist...
Jun 5, 2012
La Mesa
Name
Jeff
Boat Name
Sea Pro 170DC
I used to keep a sailboat down in Chula Vista. It's a long ways back in there from the ocean. That means more fuel and more time.

If it were me and I was fishing, I'd go for the Mission Bay spot. You'll eventually find that you don't always go straight south. The more west you go the less it matters between starting from SD vs MB as far as time and distance. You might even find yourself heading north on occasion.

Disclaimer, my current boat is on a trailer and I'll generally take it to wherever launch makes sense for that day's efforts.

Reactions: Danthefishman
Upvote 0

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat Name
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Top Shelf (35x10 double deck pontoon)
I know that from my slip at Sea World marina to the middle grounds is 26 statute miles and from CV marina (had the boat there for a short wile before we moved to Sea World) its 33 statute miles. And the travel time was way less as well... that is a long run in the back of the bay in that 5 MPH (way longer run than in Mission Bay) zone and you NEED to stay in the marked channel if you have a bigger boat!

Reactions: gecsr1
Upvote 0

I hate seals

Advertiser
Advertiser
Aug 24, 2004
SD
Name
Bryan Z
Boat Name
36' Hatteras
I ran a 32' Whaler that was at the Cay's for a while. The commute out of there sucked.
Mission Bay all the way.

Reactions: gecsr1
Upvote 0

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat Name
24'custom
Another vote for MB. But just shop around and let me save you the headache.. don’t slip at Driscolls mission bay…. Just don’t, village marina is the way to go. If your not going sea world

Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
  • Oct 21, 2004
    San Diego/SF Bay
    Name
    Capt. Erik
    Boat Name
    23' Center Console
    Out of San Diego bay all day. Just for the simple fact that bait out of mission bay during the summer months absolutely suck ass. That mission bay summer water is steaming over 75-78 degrees and then you take it out and shock them into 68-70 water it makes for some pretty beat up bait more times than not. Learned my lesson when I moved here several years ago and now I fish almost exclusively out of SD Bay. That bait barge is right at the mouth of the bay and gets super fresh water on every tide.

Reactions: jer dog
    Upvote 0

I hate seals

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Aug 24, 2004
    SD
    Name
    Bryan Z
    Boat Name
    36' Hatteras
    Out of San Diego bay all day. Just for the simple fact that bait out of mission bay during the summer months absolutely suck ass. That mission bay summer water is steaming over 75-78 degrees and then you take it out and shock them into 68-70 water it makes for some pretty beat up bait more times than not. Learned my lesson when I moved here several years ago and now I fish almost exclusively out of SD Bay. That bait barge is right at the mouth of the bay and gets super fresh water on every tide.
    I'd have to argue with that. This past summer guys were running to Mission to get better bait at times. Plus the bait line is shorter in MB most of the time. But it can go either way.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat Name
    24 ft grady white
    Why is Chula Vista Marina more pricey than the others ? That doesn't make sense.

Upvote 0

michael e. bingham

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 26, 2015
    Name
    Pura Vida
    Boat Name
    Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
    It's a no Brainer, San Diego Bay all the way , call the Bay Club marina and ask for Shelly the dock master , close to the bait barge and 7 miles or so closer to the coronado islands from mission bay, yes slip fees are more but the Bay Club is unreal , you can hear concerts and see the stage from the swimming pool area , Humphreys has some great concerts, I think it's going to be hard to get a slip anywhere right now , PM me if you would like to get into the bay club and I'll see what I can do

Upvote 0

Bad-Rap

Sep 22, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Bruce
    Boat Name
    25' Farallon Pilothouse
    Looks to be around 13 miles from back in CV to the bait barge, so 26 miles round trip. Sounds like expensive trip just from a slip to the bait barge unless your 25ft gets great gas mileage.

Upvote 0

Danthefishman

Oct 30, 2006
    La Mesa
    Name
    Dan
    Boat Name
    Aquasport 215DC
    CV is waaay back in the bay. I don't slip but I do hate crowds and everytime I launch at J Street to avoid summer crowds at shelter I end up regretting it. I would vote SD Bay all day if you fish south, but I have friends with boats slipped in mission and there are surprisingly alot of fish straight west that guys don't talk about. You can't go wrong with SD Bay or mission, but CV would make me not do nearly as many half day or spur of the moment runs just due to the extra drive and fuel.

Upvote 0

John Stidman

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 29, 2018
    Baketsfield ca
    Name
    John Stidman
    Boat Name
    26ft seaswirl striper,24 ft trophy walkaround,24ft glasply flybridge.
    Hi everyone,

Been a lurker for awhile, decided to chime in....

As a newbie here, we were planning to slip a boat (actually a friend's 25') but can't decide what would be an ideal location to slip the boat in?

The boat is currently on a trailer (from the Los Angeles area) and we may fish 2-3x's on hot bite months (tails, tunas, dodo's) to 1-2x's in the slower times (rock cod-Mexico).

We usually fish the Nados most of the time, so using that as our "end point", does anyone know the distance (nautical or whatever miles) from Sea World Marina or Marina Village or from Chula Vista Marina?

Looking at Google Maps, it seems almost the same distance to travel from Sea World or MV as it is as far to travel from CVM?

The advantage of slipping from CVM is that the larger bait barge is on the way out versus going from SW or MV, its the smaller bait receiver and on hot bite days, the wait time is much longer (aka the Conga line).

The con from CVM is the slip rates are more pricey.

So to weigh things around, maybe slipping in SW or MV area even though it's cheaper maybe having to run the longer (??) distances equals the same rate of an CVM slip.

Thanks in advance!
    I use temp break. From computer or laptop.first click on an area to launch. Then Click and drag that fish to where you want to go.it give you miles. Numbers, and heading.

Upvote 0

bman440440

Sep 8, 2010
    San Diego 92117
    Name
    B-MAN
    Boat Name
    Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Top Shelf (35x10 double deck pontoon)
    from J street to the tip of PL via the bait barge

slip to point loma.jpg

Upvote 0

ahidog

10000 atta boys
  • Sep 15, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Tom
    Boat Name
    105', Camcraft, 85', Ditmar, 65' Noreck
    Aren’t there guest slips anymore at HP dock in San Diego? Not sure how they work but there used to be.

Upvote 0

bman440440

Sep 8, 2010
    San Diego 92117
    Name
    B-MAN
    Boat Name
    Aren’t there guest slips anymore at HP dock in San Diego? Not sure how they work but there used to be.

Shelter Island Guest Docks and Anchorage​

In order to accommodate boating visitors to San Diego Bay, the Port of San Diego maintains a public access Guest Dock facility at the Harbor Police Sub Station, 1401 Shelter Island Drive, San Diego. The station is located on the southern end of Shelter Island at the entrance to the Shelter Island Yacht Basin.

• The facility has 26-slips
    • It can host recreational vessels up to 65-feet in length
    • Vessels can stay for periods of up to 15 days, within a 40 day period
    • Water and 30 Amp shore power connections are available at each slip
    • The slips are rented at $1.21 per lineal foot per day
    • Sanitary station facilities are provided at the Guest Dock

Upvote 0

bman440440

Sep 8, 2010
    San Diego 92117
    Name
    B-MAN
    Boat Name
    my GPS says its 11 NM...without the bait stop...and taking a more direct route vs your pic
    In the back of the bay you need to stay in the channel until you get to the ship yards unless your draft is less than 3.5 ft... I have attached a new map showing 12.26 NM from J street to the tip of PL taking almost the most direct route... and lets be realistic its VERY hard to keep the absolute shortest route on the water.

sdbay.jpg

Upvote 0

bob_marlin

• Apr 23, 2022
    chula vista from hawaii
    Name
    bob marlin
    Boat Name
    Mikelson 43’
    In the back of the bay you need to stay in the channel until you get to the ship yards unless your draft is less than 3.5 ft... I have attached a new map showing 12.26 NM from J street to the tip of PL taking almost the most direct route... and lets be realistic its VERY hard to keep the absolute shortest route on the water.

View attachment 1438877

I have made that journey well over 100 times..and my GPS tells me its 11 NM +/- every time

Upvote 0