disposal of leftover fish

Foad

Sep 10, 2014
Name
Bobby
Boat
Kayak(in my dreams a parker pilothouse)
hi all

all my leftover stuff after dinner is typically placed in the trash, bulky stuff such as carcasses etc usually get tossed in a large dumpster away from my home. if i have scraps i freeze them an place in the trash bin the evening before its picked up by the trashman.

im doing what i can to be a good neighbor as i dont want to draw a shitload of flies etc to the trash bin area. i heard you can wrap seafood scraps in newspaper to help with flies? is this BS? would love to hear from all of you on how you take care of your trash with seafoods.

tight lines

FOAD

Upvote 0

fly liner

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 10, 2009
hemet ca USA
Name
Josh
Boat
21' crystaliner /15' prowler
I have hills behind my house. I drive up there and leave it for the critters... Just did it a couple hours ago actually

Reactions: Foad
Upvote 0

titos334

VIP Elite Member
Aug 19, 2012
Hell
Name
Kevin
Boat
Rainbow Surprise
I like the illegal dumping idea! Normally I freeze it and wait until the day before trash day

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I understand the warm and fuzzy motivation behind putting scraps out as food for critters. But please don't do that. What happens is you draw in more wildlife for the easy meals, and extra coyotes and skunks and racoons start hanging around the neighborhood at night, and although abdiver7777 doesn't like cats there are little kids in the neighborhood that love their pets, and finding Muffy killed or worse yet crippled is a bad memory in childhood. Plus skunks and racoons can carry rabies for many months, and be carriers without any obvious sign of the disease.

There are laws against leaving garbage uncovered for a good reason. Garden trash bags can keep the flies and odors at bay.

Upvote 0

tlcnate

Almost A Member
    May 1, 2012
    San Diego- East County
    Name
    Nate
    Boat
    Bayliner 22' Open Bow
    Maybe it's the chef training in me but I try NOT to have any waste. Large or small fish I filet them and use the frames and head to make fish stock. By the time my stock is done the frames are fall-part soft and they go in the garbage all their yummy goodness left behind to make fish soup later.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    Sounds like someone has a pet cat named muffy.Im not one to name names but lets just say it rymes with scary and he lives in dong screech LOL.

P.S.im just kidding....cats make very nice pets.:)

Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    I live about 10 minutes from a harbor. I like to take my scraps and dump them off the rocks. I figure that I am helping out the resident spotted bay bass and lobster population.

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
    Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    If the City and State get to feel the pain of stinky carks in every trash can and dumpster maybe their complaining will get some traction about the stupid new laws.

Reactions: 26grumpy
    Upvote 0

Raimond

Not as lean, not as mean, still a Marine...
    Mar 9, 2014
    SoCal
    Name
    Ray
    Boat
    23' IMP Hardtop - "4 Reel"
    Which neighbor was an ass this week? LOL

I have some business associates that are Filipino and they take everything I bring home?

Reactions: Tackleho619
    Upvote 0

Raimond

Not as lean, not as mean, still a Marine...
    Mar 9, 2014
    SoCal
    Name
    Ray
    Boat
    23' IMP Hardtop - "4 Reel"
    I fillet them.
    I keep what I want (just enough for the week) and then share the rest with the local FD, friends and neighbors. The carcass are always accepted by the Filipino families.

Upvote 0

ash

Chief Inspiration Officer
    Aug 28, 2007
    North San Diego County
    Name
    Ash
    Boat
    Still looking
    I've mentioned this before but those carcasses are full of meat. I cut the head off, save for lobster season, then add salt, pepper and some olive oil to to them. I lay them on sheet pans, if they are larger models cut the carcass in half, then broil them. The meat comes off the bone easily. Add mayo, relish, celery, spicy mustard or whatever fixings you enjoy and you have Tuna salad for the week. Easy to dispose of afterwards.

Upvote 0

FishMonger88

Aug 24, 2015
    Orange County
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    None
    If you have a backyard with any fruit trees or a vegetable garden, just dig holes and bury them to use as fertilizer. Your plants will love them and the fruits and vegetables you get are a plus! Your catch will provided more than just the meat.

Upvote 0

strackle99

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Mar 20, 2008
    Villa Lepro, Baja
    Name
    Todd
    Boat
    The one on the fish
    About 15 years ago, I was living in an apartment. I put 5 heads and carcasses in my trash, in heavy, contractor grade trash bags.

The next morning, the landlady came by and asked me not to just drop my fish guts in the trash.

It turned out some bum got excited by my high-quality trash bags, and dumped out the fish. Saw my nice bags, and probably thought "new jacket" or "new roof"

I explained that to the landlady, and we shared a laugh. She started to keep the trash cans locked.

Now, my wife is a chef, and we dump guts at the work. Also, I have an unlimited ice supply!!!! I love my wife!!!

I dry the skins and use as dog treats. About 95% of dogs love them. One out of twenty dogs won't touch them

Upvote 0

Smartaxe

Almost A Member
    Dec 18, 2011
    Santa Cruz, Ca
    Name
    Koy Wilson
    Boat
    2003 Robalo 235
    I throw the carcassas in cheap tupoware that I buy at the dollar store. Then into the chest freezer until they can be used for crab trap bait this winter. No waste, crabs take everything.

Upvote 0

HUSKEY BAY

Almost A Member
    Mar 6, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    ken
    Boat
    HUSKEY BAY
    I understand the warm and fuzzy motivation behind putting scraps out as food for critters. But please don't do that. What happens is you draw in more wildlife for the easy meals, and extra coyotes and skunks and racoons start hanging around the neighborhood at night, and although abdiver7777 doesn't like cats there are little kids in the neighborhood that love their pets, and finding Muffy killed or worse yet crippled is a bad memory in childhood. Plus skunks and racoons can carry rabies for many months, and be carriers without any obvious sign of the disease.

There are laws against leaving garbage uncovered for a good reason. Garden trash bags can keep the flies and odors at bay.
    A fed coyote is a dead coyote.

Upvote 0

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
    Feb 28, 2004
    Sabre Springs
    Name
    Tom McKinney
    Boat
    Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
    I either fillet in the bay or freeze. I get a lot of boxes due to costco and amazon. I just put them in the box and put the box in the freezer and drop the frozen box in the trash the night before pickup.

Upvote 0

Foad

Sep 10, 2014
    Name
    Bobby
    Boat
    Kayak(in my dreams a parker pilothouse)
    thanks for all the great ideas , has anyone tried mulching them? probably give that a whirl?

Upvote 0

ckster

Oct 8, 2009
    SD
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    F/V Rubber Ducky
    There's an apartment complex down the road....

Err... I mean. I triple hefty bag them and throw them away at proper disposal sites.... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0