Disposable Knife Jigs..1 and done

Blind Luck

Feb 14, 2015
Temecula
Name
Mike Grieco
Boat
MALAKAS
Don't have a problem buying jigs....nice if they last more than one fish.
We had a few plus not survive the BFT on our Phenix/Vagabond trip this week.
Pictured...Rick's 200+ lb BFT ate and broke Katy Perry...🤣🤣🤣🤣
A 110 lb bft made my jig swim in circles...lol
Who knows? Next week's hot jig "Banana Jig"
You know if I straighten it...it will break

Bring extra on your trips..could be the difference between a jig fish of a lifetime and going back to fishing bait...
What's the difference if you lose it or break it?

20210720_071728.jpg

20210720_071736.jpg

20210723_050050.jpg

20210723_050041.jpg

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    While working for YoZuri in the day.... they had bendable knife jigs....made of mylar coated lead. You would bend them slightly... purposely ....for a great change in their "possible" swimming action. Following the "weakfish" theory.... erratic swimming. Just saying... from failure.... you may find a "pearl".

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    While working for YoZuri in the day.... they had bendable knife jigs....made of mylar coated lead. You would bend them slightly... purposely ....for a great change in their "possible" swimming action. Following the "weakfish" theory.... erratic swimming. Just saying... from failure.... you may find a "pearl".
    And if it's thru wired, nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Blackfish
    W
    woodfish330
    Before All The others.... I demanded ALL YOZURI saltwater lures....trolling, jigging, popping....had close welded stainless harnesses inside for TRUE INTEGRITY. PERIOD.
    Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

wtrbrdm

1143 Miles From The Landing
    Apr 5, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    Excel
    You'll never see me being poo-poo over a bent Rip Roller while a cow is being spiked to death on the deck.

Cow > $14.99 Rip Roller

Blind Luck
    Blind Luck
    My point bring extra...
    That's reminded me of a guy complaining about losing rubberband torpedoe weight
    "But they are $3 each"
    Once again bring extra
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Wade K in deep

IFish4Sanity&SelectivelyHarvest
  • Sep 24, 2019
    Mariposa, CA
    Name
    Wade Knupp
    Boat
    Kayak & Kickboat
    Fishing for other species with jigs, I have always played with minor bends in my metal jigs. Sometimes you find a bend that's just Magic! Hopkins No Equals always seem to benefit from a slight bend at the head. Duh Spoons, bend the tail.
    Port Wilson Darts and PLine Lasers, mid body slightly closer to the tail, and if you can full on see the bend, you went too far. Just enough that it you hold it in your hands you can tell that 1 side is different from the other.

W
    woodfish330
    Brother...all well learned "secrets" of jig fishing. .....laughing.... Although I have not figured how to bend my PL68 yet...lol.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    none
    I had a Nomad Streaker jig bend into a horseshoe shape (Literally) a few weeks back, never seen anything like that...

Upvote 0

Kos

The Tug Is My Drug
  • Aug 16, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat
    My wife's boat (yup!)
    I just got a new 400 gram Rip Roller in the mail but it came cracked. I called and they're replacing it, but they don't have anymore of the Glows in this size. Does anyone know if there is a piece of wire or steel, running through these jigs allowing me to still use it? I was planning on just throwing it away, but if someone knows more and can give any advice about if the integrity of the jig is being compromised or not. Use it or throw it away?
    Also, does anyone know about the stock hooks on these? I usually change them out on my flat falls/ Knife jigs. Do these need to be upgraded as well?

rip roller.jpg

Upvote 0

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    John Gleaves
    Boat
    20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
    After my last Vagabond BFT trip, I went out and bought 8 more jigs due to jig casualty. Mine were various line accidents but one of the boat rods had a similar CRACK/BEND AT THE EYE END incident with a 280 gram Kensaki knife.

You may want to try putting the hook on top on the split ring. Then no forces are going through the jig itself. Heading out in a few days to Lupe but hope we do get a BFT shot also.

Reactions: woodfish330 and Kos
    Upvote 0

Kos

The Tug Is My Drug
  • Aug 16, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat
    My wife's boat (yup!)
    After my last Vagabond BFT trip, I went out and bought 8 more jigs due to jig casualty. Mine were various line accidents but one of the boat rods had a similar CRACK/BEND AT THE EYE END incident with a 280 gram Kensaki knife.

You may want to try putting the hook on top on the split ring. Then no forces are going through the jig itself. Heading out in a few days to Lupe but hope we do get a BFT shot also.
    That makes sense, I'll just double up with 2 assist hooks from the top of the Jig and remove the one at the bottom. You're stoked on your Guadalupe trip, I've heard it's been great fishing there lately. I have a 7 day on the AA next month so I also hope we end up there if they're still biting.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
    Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat
    skiff
    Some guys on the long range board recommended these figure 8 rings. If the fish is hooked on the top assist hook the pressure goes directly to the reel.

Ck out Pitbull's split ring pliers as well. I was always frustrated with split rings until I bought these cheap heavy duty pliers.

Blind Luck
    Blind Luck
    I'm one of those people
    Brought 30 pre-made leaders on 3day Sunday....200 to 300lb Yozuri pink with figure 8 and heavy swivel on the ends....don't forget line saver and a good crimp.
    Gave them out to anyone who needed them.
    Lent out Pitbull SR Pliers
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

nate

Oct 9, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    Nate
    Boat
    gone
    I just got a new 400 gram Rip Roller in the mail but it came cracked. I called and they're replacing it, but they don't have anymore of the Glows in this size. Does anyone know if there is a piece of wire or steel, running through these jigs allowing me to still use it? I was planning on just throwing it away, but if someone knows more and can give any advice about if the integrity of the jig is being compromised or not. Use it or throw it away?
    Also, does anyone know about the stock hooks on these? I usually change them out on my flat falls/ Knife jigs. Do these need to be upgraded as well?
    Is it just the paint or the jig that’s cracked? If paint, don’t sweat it. If it’s the jig, the through wire should hold it together. But if you want to replace it, other colors have been working fine if not better than all glow. And yes replace those stock hooks. They suck.

Upvote 0

Kos

The Tug Is My Drug
  • Aug 16, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat
    My wife's boat (yup!)
    Is it just the paint or the jig that’s cracked? If paint, don’t sweat it. If it’s the jig, the through wire should hold it together. But if you want to replace it, other colors have been working fine if not better than all glow. And yes replace those stock hooks. They suck.
    The jig itself is cracked. It's bent a little right where the crack is so something probably happened to it when it was shipped. I'll bend it back and drop it in to watch it swim a little to see the action. It'll be my back up to my back up or the jig I loan to the guy who came totally unprepared with a discloure: USE AT OWN RISK.

I replaced it with the sardine color at 400 grams so I just want it to get into the zone asap.

The stock hooks look the guage is thin and cheap so I was planning on replacing them. What assist/ stinger hooks do you like to use? Ive been using the owner 7/0 or 9/0

W
    woodfish330
    Before you use that jig... without knowing about the through wire, try this. Short stout wire leader... from hook loop to the tie loop.... swagged. Attach your line to the eye loop of the wire..... as it goes through the eye of the lure. That way.... even with zero harness inside... your new "external" harness will hold should the "beast" show up. Good luck.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

nate

Oct 9, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    Nate
    Boat
    gone
    The jig itself is cracked. It's bent a little right where the crack is so something probably happened to it when it was shipped. I'll bend it back and drop it in to watch it swim a little to see the action. It'll be my back up to my back up or the jig I loan to the guy who came totally unprepared with a discloure: USE AT OWN RISK.

I replaced it with the sardine color at 400 grams so I just want it to get into the zone asap.

The stock hooks look the guage is thin and cheap so I was planning on replacing them. What assist/ stinger hooks do you like to use? Ive been using the owner 7/0 or 9/0
    I’ve been using the 7/0 Mustad Heavy Duty Assist Hooks. Very stout hook and cord.

D21C09AE-D399-45BA-B107-B3A599FADCBB.jpeg

Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Brothers.... at the manufacturing level.... this is the argument in "design and engineering" sections.

How big a fish will eat this jig?

How strong is the average anglers / users line?

What is the appropriate drag setting they will use when fishing the jig in "extreme" conditions?

What is the weakest link in that chain? Our jig? THEY THINK NOT!!
    The anglers knot? The "Assist hook"? The fishing line? All will fail....before our jig.

How many markets will we cross over into for an "extremely strong" through wire jig? Cost increases at the labor aspect alone... loading the harness before the injection molding is labor intensive. The reduced capacity caused by allowing for the additional step.... Less cycles per minute / hour / day makes it a costly decision. All for something..... not visible to the naked eye.... and rarely requested.

Most factories don't believe its "cost effective" for very limited market penetration. But you and I brothers know better. But...our market is small. We're talking 160 other countries... not demanding "through wire" for their fishing styles. Damned if you do....damned if you dont.

Just thoughts from the other side.... manufacturing and distribution. Good luck.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

BluefinCurly

Skipper
    Aug 15, 2004
    Central Texas
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    Vagabond, The Last Minute
    Don't have a problem buying jigs....nice if they last more than one fish.
    We had a few plus not survive the BFT on our Phenix/Vagabond trip this week.
    Pictured...Rick's 200+ lb BFT ate and broke Katy Perry...🤣🤣🤣🤣
    A 110 lb bft made my jig swim in circles...lol
    Who knows? Next week's hot jig "Banana Jig"
    You know if I straighten it...it will break

Bring extra on your trips..could be the difference between a jig fish of a lifetime and going back to fishing bait...
    What's the difference if you lose it or break it?

View attachment 1301694

View attachment 1301695

View attachment 1301696

View attachment 1301697

That gold and red one is the one my son killed it on. I think he had 4 or 5 fish on that to 140 lb

Reactions: woodfish330
    W
    woodfish330
    Wonder what those colors become/effect at 200' - 300' deep? Night fishing? Even daytime... Largest eye in the tuna family? Must be/mean something....right?
    Upvote 0
    Blind Luck
    Blind Luck
    The 400 gram red gold with a 1/8" glow tape got me a 120lb at 250' Tues morning
    Had 2 11/0 Gamakatsu HD assist hooks on it. Figure 8 200lb pink YoZuri 280lb swivel
    Upvote 0

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
    Aug 14, 2016
    Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
    Name
    Eric Marin
    Boat
    10' Model T
    I'm surprised no one has yet to point out that most of these jigs aren't designed to be rigged with hooks on the bottom eyelet, or hooks connected to the jig at all. Kinda like complaining about oil changes on a 2 stroke.

Upvote 0

Blind Luck

Feb 14, 2015
    Temecula
    Name
    Mike Grieco
    Boat
    MALAKAS
    The assist hook was hooked to figure 8 ring
    The jigs are damaged from bft clamping down.
    Wasn't complaining...trade $25 jig for triple digit tuna anytime.
    That would be like complaining about losing a $3 weight on a sinker rig tuna. Lol

Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

• Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    I'd still fish it makes it unique. Kind of like folks that like to bend colt snipers a bit to give it an different action. But yes I have seen several come up looking like bananas.