Dislocated shoulder 3 times

Discussion in 'Nonsense Anything Boards' started by ZZZZZ, Sep 24, 2012.

1. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    Yes I know I should of had it checked sooner.

I have dislocated my shoulder 3 times in 11 months and I kept going back to surfing too early. Two of those dislocations were severe. Two years prior I hyper extended same shoulder. I also have a tear in my back muscle on the same side by shoulder blade and I have lost allot of feeling in two of my finger tips.

I have not had a MRI done yet but there is something seriously wrong with my shoulder.

I see a Orthopedic Surgeon Oct 15th in California. Any idea what I'm up against before I get to the States? I'm sure its surgery time. Shoulder will not stay together.

Tow surfing can be brutal.

2. aloharob

aloharob Newbie

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    40' Cabo Flybridge "Magellan" and 19' Boston Whaler "BobKat"
    Well...you have a process in front of you. The good news is that it should end well. The bad news is that you likely have a bunch of pain and rehab to go through first.

I had a rotator cuff repair about 5 years ago and did a TON of research before including 3 different opinions. I'm sure others will chime in but it is really important that you get a quality surgeon. In LA, the three shops my research told me to focus on were 1. Kerlan Jobe; 2. Southern California Orthopedic Institute and 3. a guy named Knapp in Santa Monica (forget the name of the place). I'm sure others will chime in and there are surely other excellent surgeons in LA but these three shops have great reputations. I had my shoulder done by Tibone at Kerlan Jobe (he is the USC football team doc).

The MRI will tell the story. See if they are doing an MRI WITH CONTRAST (i.e. they shoot dye into your blood) as that I'm told gives them a much better picture. If they are not doing one with contrast, it's worth a question to ask why not.

Until the MRI, you are just guessing as to what is wrong but you may have a Labrum tear or a Rotator Cuff tear (or both). Could also be other structural damage but a subluxating shoulder like yours probably has one or both of these conditions (based on what I learned from my reading and the doctors I went to).

All are usually fixable with surgical procedures. Hopefully they can fix you up with an arthroscopic procedure as that heals much faster than an "open procedure". My tear was a "supraspinatous tendon tear" which is one of the 4 tendons that comprise the rotator cuff structure. I had to have the tendon stitched together and reattached to the bone using a screw-in anchor. They did it all by putting about 4 holes in my shoulder and using the arthroscopes.

Could not start any therapy for a few weeks and then started "passive range of motion" therapy to keep it from freezing. Then started some resistance therapy at about six weeks and then got after it much harder at about 3 months. By 4 months or so, I had returned to most activiites including fishing etc. They told me to avoid any contact activities (e.g. skiiing) for at least 6 months and, preferably, a year. After one year, they told me it was as good as it will ever be.

I'd say that I'm 95% on range of motion, 90% on strength and 100% functional in terms of the activities that I enjoy. It hurts all the time but MUCH less than it did before the procedure when I'd wake up every night in severe pain. Being on a boat in rough water was pretty painful before the surgery and now I don't even think about it. It just hurts some all the time...no different than my arthritic knee or my lower back etc. You are younger but this is all coming in your future given how active you are :-(.

To summarize, get multiple opinions at the best docs you can get into see. Get an MRI with contrast so they can see the best picture of what they are dealing with. Get the surgery if needed (which I'm sure it is based on what you describe). MOST IMPORTANTLY, live by the rules during recovery and rehab so you don't tear it again before you are fully healed. I met several people in physical therapy who were rehabbing from surgery #2 because they broke the rules and tore it again.

By the way, the numbness is a concern as that is surely nerve damage and you don't want that to get worse. You should get this all dealt with ASAP!!!!

Good luck. You will be surfing again soon enough.

3. Zombie

Zombie Member

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    Bennington
    I severely dislocated my right shoulder in 2003 in a MC crash. Massive tear to the my rotator cuff, bicep tendon and all the muscles between my neck and shoulder. Have had 3 surgeries on it. Now, no cartilage left (bone to bone) and my cuff is shredded (doc said it looked like cotton candy last time he was in). Next surgery for me will be full replacement. Hurts pretty much all time but not unbearable. I sleep with my arm hanging off the bed so it stretches and somewhat makes it feel better. Not a fun thing to go through with the therapy and all but it has to be done to get some range out of it. I've still got 6 screws in mine that they used as anchors to tie everything together. I still play Golf once or twice a week. Once you get the MRI done and talk to the Doc you'll know pretty much what has to be done.

4. BiggestT

BiggestT I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^is very detailed and accurate as it gets. Read this closely 3 times, as this is what you are facing.

5. srfnkill

srfnkill Newbie

Name:
    Sammy
    Boat:
    9' longboard
    I did mine about a year ago. I was dumb and didn't get it looked at until the next morning. The DR just looked me over and sent me on my way. He told me to pay attention to any tingling or numbness in the fingers and if I experienced anything like that to have it looked at right away. Luckily I had nothing so I figured I was good. I pretty much rehabbed it myself and today I'm stronger then before I did it. I too surf but I took about 5 months off and when I did go back out I took it easy for a while. I think I got lucky but I know it will never be the same and it will come out again if I dont be careful.

6. Swarthy Dago

Swarthy Dago Coredor de las olas

Name:
    My name is Nobody
    Boat:
    n/a
    LIke everyone has said, you'll get it taken care of. these days they are very very good at fixing these problems. Just one thing, between now and then, don't use that arm !, baby it. If you tear a nerve you will lose the use of that arm permanently. Once your surgery is done, yea it's gonna hurt but try and rely on ice, lots and lots of ice. You are going to think that it is locked up and it's never going to loosen up, but it will. It has to heal before you start your rehab, you'll be good to go sooner than you think, I surf too, had both my shoulders done. I chose to work them out only as far as I needed to paddle. You see they are going to tighten things back up. Then you are going to loosen them up via your rehab. Paddling is great for building the muscle mass which in turn will help you. Let us know how things turn out.

7. ZZZZZ

Name:
    Boat:
    Thank you for everyones time :) more input the better. Cheers

I'm trying to move the appt date up. I'm going to print aloharob posts. :hali_olutta:

8. Aggro

Aggro Keepin my pimp hand strong!

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    You should be ok. My football career was ended by multiple dislocations. I was told if it happened again I would need surgery and the surgery would keep me from lifting weights of any value or doing any throwing so I had to quit. Every year medicine moves forward to the benefit of those that need it. Back in the 80s we didn't have all the cool stuff we do now.

9. bevz

bevz Newbie

Name:
    Brent
    Boat:
    OK Trident 15
    Aloharob is pretty spot on. Since you've dislocated your shoulder multiple times, I'd guess that you have a torn labrum and some nerve damage causing the numbness. I had a torn labrum and rotator cuff repaired back in January. I waited until I dislocated my shoulder few times before I had the surgery so I also had some arthritis and bone spurs in there too. Not to try to scare you but it was a pretty painful recovery. I did pt three times a week for six months before the Dr released me to full duty. They started my pt the following week after the surgery to break up the scar tissue. I thought the Dr. was joking because I couldn't move it for about the first two weeks. It's been eight months since my surgery and now I really only have pain in it when I fall asleep on it or if I try to really throw something with velocity. The pain is mostly in my ac joint because the bicep tendon was tightened back up with a screw. I have a friend who has had the same surgery and he tells me that it'll be about a year until that pain is gone. Good luck man. I hope everything goes smoothly for ya and you have a speedy recovery.

10. ZZZZZ

Name:
    Boat:
    Thanks fellas. I moved it to Oct 2nd

11. Aggro

Aggro Keepin my pimp hand strong!

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    It actually feels like you just threw your arm off.

12. The Notorious S.U.A.

The Notorious S.U.A. Newbie

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Sporties
    dude, stop fighting people on the beach!

13. ZZZZZ

Name:
    Boat:
    When challenged I will appear. :D

The joy of saved PM's ;)

14. jscrib

jscrib Whale Cock

Name:
    j
    Boat:
    VS
    I had the surgery back in 1998. I'm glad I did too.

j

15. vilters

vilters chucker

Name:
    steve
    Boat:
    yes
    sounds like you gettin old bro. pretty soon maybe see you on a stand up with us old guys. lots easier on the shoulders and back. hoping it goes well for you. sounds like some others here have some good info.

16. la vida

la vida Now I love our Prezzz!!!

Name:
    Frank F
    Boat:
    Boat-less (Sad)
    I blew out my shoulder when I was 15. I lived with it popping out every now and then.
    Never a fun time. I had full strength I just could not do anything overhead, Like throw a baseball or carry a heavy pipe on my shoulder. Up and back it would pop out.

As I got older and fatter it started to want to pop out in my sleep. Then one day I slipped at home and reached to catch myself. I didn't fall but threw it out for the last time. Took about a year to go thue the Kaiser process. Three or four screws half year of therapy and I'm good. I lived with that Fucking bad arm for thirty years,Stupid.

If your going to be dumb ya got to tough!

17. BiggestT

BiggestT I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    It happens, particularly to football players:

Oceanside's Jordan Wynn Medically Retires

SALT LAKE CITY -- Just three years ago, Jordan Wynn's future looked bright after a record-setting freshman season and Poinsettia Bowl MVP honors.

Now his football career at Utah is over after yet another shoulder injury, suffered in Friday's overtime loss at Utah State.

"Enough is enough," Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said Monday in announcing Wynn's decision to end his career because of an injury that likely will result in a fourth shoulder operation. "He's going to move on with life after football. He's fought the good fight."

Wynn was injured late in the second quarter after being hit while dropping back to throw. He lay on the ground for a while before being helped off, holding his left, non-throwing arm against his chest.

Pac-12 blog
    ESPN.com's Ted Miller and Kevin Gemmell write about all things Pac-12 in the conference blog.

He was 6 of 11 for 47 yards, with three sacks Friday.

Wynn finished his career as one of 11 quarterbacks in school history to throw for 4,000 yards (4,637 yards, eighth all-time), with 33 touchdowns and 17 interceptions and a 14-7 overall record.

But he already had three shoulder operations -- one to repair his left shoulder after the 2010 spring game, one on his right in December 2010 and another to his left last October.

After talking the situation over with his father, and Whittingham, Wynn decided not to attempt yet another comeback.

"We really appreciate what Jordan's brought to our program ... the toughness he's shown, the resilience he's shown," Whittingham said as he geared up to face rival Brigham Young on Saturday night. "I think we're all on the same page. And if he were my son, I'd probably encourage him to do the same thing."

Whittingham said Wynn, who earned his degree in 3½ years, will stick around the team the rest of the season to help the two quarterbacks now fighting it out to replace him -- senior Jon Hays and freshman Travis Wilson.

Last season Hays was thrust into action despite never having played Division 1 football.

He initially signed with Nebraska-Omaha after a junior-college career at Butte College but came to the Utes when Nebraska-Omaha eliminated its football program.

The result was a scaled-back Utah offense that relied heavily on running back John White.

"We don't think we have to reel things in and modify what we're doing because of the progress he's made from last year," Whittingham said of Hays.

"He's markedly improved. We've got a lot more confidence in him. I wouldn't say there was a lack of confidence, but there were a lot of unknowns."

Hays, who finished with a 6-3 starting record last season after a rough start, said he's ready to take over.

"If I learned anything from last year, it's that I need to be ready at any point. I felt comfortable with the offense. I was prepared," said Hays, who quickly engineered a drive before halftime Friday but couldn't pull off the win.

The 6-foot California native was one of the most accurate passers in preseason, and despite being overshadowed by the 6-foot-7 Wilson, earned the backup job to Wynn.

Yet Whittingham may decide the future is now for Wilson, who has seen spot action in various wildcat packages and gone 3 for 3 passing, with one passing TD, and two rushing touchdowns.

With BYU (2-0) coming to town, and now ranked No. 25 in the latest AP poll, Whittingham isn't tipping his hand. He said he won't name a starter until game time Saturday night.

"May the best man win," Whittingham said.

He acknowledged the gap between Hays and Wilson is close, and Wilson would see spot duty even if he doesn't start.

"There's nothing right now other than experience that (Wilson) hasn't demonstrated," Whittingham said of the 18-year-old freshman. "People react differently when you're the guy. Right now Travis hasn't been the guy. He's been a supplemental guy."

Wilson, who graduated from San Clemente (Calif.) High School early, has maintained since spring football that he's confident enough to start.

"I'm really disappointed with what happened to Jordan," Wilson said while walking to team meetings Monday. "It's a tragic thing. I hope he can keep his head up, keep fighting and get through it."

As for turning the season around for Utah (1-1), picked to finish second in the Pac-12 South, Wilson remained steadfast.

"I think I can do it," he said. "I'm really excited. I just hope I can do something and everything will work out."

18. penn25

penn25 Newbie

Hawaii but grew up in Southern California
    Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Lucky Dog (retired)
    Broke my hip last year and had two operations to correct the break. The only advice I can give is rehab, rehab, rehab. Did I mention rehab? LOL! Best of luck!