EL DUDE

El Captain
Jun 4, 2011
Dana Point
Name
Kyle
Boat
BOAT
Is there any way to track if a boat transfers title/ownership with the DMV? Is this public knowledge like real estate?

I had a seller cancel on me earlier in the week after we had a deal. I agreed to pay his full asking price, gave him a deposit, he gave me a hand written deposit receipt, we shook hands and had a deal. The seller texted me the other night that he had been "toying around with keeping the boat". After taking it out on the water, he liked it so much that he has decided to keep it. I was so thrilled to hear that the guy loves his boat and is happy. ... But i am wondering if he decided to take a higher offer. I agreed to pay him his full asking price. But his full asking price was on the low side IMO. Had he marketed the boat correctly, he could have gotten much more. I found it on CL.

The seller has been dishonest and unethical and I wouldn't necessarily put it past him to have taken a higher offer after we had an agreement. Can I access the boats transfer info with the DMV. I have the CF number, make, model, year, etc...

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Is there any way to track if a boat transfers title/ownership with the DMV? Is this public knowledge like real estate?

I had a seller cancel on me earlier in the week after we had a deal. I agreed to pay his full asking price, gave him a deposit, he gave me a hand written deposit receipt, we shook hands and had a deal. The seller texted me the other night that he had been "toying around with keeping the boat". After taking it out on the water, he liked it so much that he has decided to keep it. I was so thrilled to hear that the guy loves his boat and is happy. ... But i am wondering if he decided to take a higher offer. I agreed to pay him his full asking price. But his full asking price was on the low side IMO. Had he marketed the boat correctly, he could have gotten much more. I found it on CL.

The seller has been dishonest and unethical and I wouldn't necessarily put it past him to have taken a higher offer after we had an agreement. Can I access the boats transfer info with the DMV. I have the CF number, make, model, year, etc...

Personally, if I got my $ back, I'd leave it at that.

Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
    Sep 6, 2005
    Escondido
    Name
    Buster Brown
    Boat
    28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
    Sue the bastard for breach of contract.........

Reactions: R&R
    Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
    Sep 24, 2006
    Anaheim Hills
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    Freefrom Boats Club
    Move on, he probably did you a favor in the long run. Unreal deals on boats are just that....unreal.

Upvote 0

bus kid

rebmem nwonk llew
    Feb 8, 2009
    www.spacex.com
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Skipjack 20 open
    perhaps it wasnt him but you, maybe he had a feeling that you may not be the right person for his boat...did you sea trial the boat, have it survayed? be glad you got the deposit back. In business deals fall through all the time that does not make someone 'dishonest' if he did sell it for a higher price oh well, sheet happens thats buisness. Go and try to buy a house for the "asking price" in todays economy and see how that turns out.

if you really want to know post up the info. I just bought a boat recentely off of CL....

Upvote 0

BluePabst

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 1, 2012
    Somewhere between heaven and hell
    Name
    Phil
    Boat
    Bertram 30
    You got your money back. It's a buyers market right now, there's plenty more out there.

Unless you had a signed contract explicitly stating the buyer can not accept other offers I don't think you will get very far anyways.

Upvote 0

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
    Feb 28, 2004
    Sabre Springs
    Name
    Tom McKinney
    Boat
    Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
    You got your money back. It's a buyers market right now, there's plenty more out there.

Unless you had a signed contract explicitly stating the buyer can not accept other offers I don't think you will get very far anyways.

Not how contract law works. although it may be unenforceable under the statute of frauds, there was offer, acceptance and consideration which is what is required for an enforceable contract. I bet you could get specific performance but it would cost a bunch and there is no attorneys fees clasue so its not worth it.

Upvote 0

Staged

Oct 2, 2009
    OC
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    28' Skipjack
    Ha! OK guys. Obviously you guys have a different opinion about this than me.

If your looking for everyone to agree with you, I don't think this is the place.....
    Shit happens, move on......

Upvote 0