Northeastfshman

I see OJ
Dec 20, 2008
San Clemente
Name
Brett Weinberg
Boat
Parker 2120SCDV
Charlie this is the problem in the Atlantic...and the Pacific for that matter.

U.S. fisherman have followed bans galore since the 1970's like the closure of Georges Bank to ground fishing, the stopping of Long Linning in Florida, no commercial take on Stripped Bass etc..etc..etc.. And becuase of following the regs the health of all the aforementioned fisheries have improved dramatically.

But the scum bags in the Mediterranean have not followed a single regulation set forth internationally, especially BFT. It's a disgrace that U.S. has followed these regulations while these countries haven't and the U.S. just gets screwed! People see this stuff and don't make a dinstinction between what has happened there and what is happening here.

The best example is BFT. There was a real push to put BFT on the endagered species list in the U.S. alone. Well...that's nice..what does that do. It means U.S. fisherman couldn't catch or sell BFT nor could it be imported. Since BFT are managed by ICCAT globally (All of the Atlantic), all that would happen is the U.S. quota would go the fuckers in Italy, Japan, Mexico etc.. not one BFT would be saved but yet again the U.S. would get screwed for following regs or trying to put more stringent regulations in place.

We need to get the word out that the U.S. isn't the issue..it's pigs like the above

JWALK

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 22, 2003
Orange
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
I used to have a 30' skipjack - Why did I sell my boat??!!!!
That is sickening. Between long lining, seining and bottom trawling, we are destroying our oceans at an alarming rate. Meanwhile, our government is worried about a father and son fishing for recreation.

On a side note, I would like to see some bag limits reduced. IMO, there is no need to keep 10+ palegics. Many people just end up wasting the meat, especially when they make multiple trips per year. I think 3 per day is more than enough fish, but that is just me.

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
Dec 20, 2008
San Clemente
Name
Brett Weinberg
Boat
Parker 2120SCDV
That is sickening. Between long lining, seining and bottom trawling, we are destroying our oceans at an alarming rate. Meanwhile, our government is worried about a father and son fishing for recreation.

On a side note, I would like to see some bag limits reduced. IMO, there is no need to keep 10+ palegics. Many people just end up wasting the meat, especially when they make multiple trips per year. I think 3 per day is more than enough fish, but that is just me.
Jeff please be careful. The point i was trying to make it that IMHO the U.S. has really done a great job, (I am not saying everything), regulating our commercial fisheries.

Fishing is better than when I was kid on the East Coast because we started to understand the need for regulations in the 90's.

There is still some awful stuff going on here like mid water trolling for herring ... but honestly the U.S. has gone to great lenghts and commercial fisherman have give up so much to improve things and it's working.

What is above is an example of the countries who have 0 and mean 0 control/care over what their countries are doing to the oceans.

We need to be going after these groups/countries hard because we are being robbed of our resources.

I hate it when the U.S commercial guys just get lumped in, although to be honest in some instances it's absolutly correct.

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
That made me want to puke.

rza007

Iron Sheik
Sep 28, 2004
San Diego
Name
Fish
Boat
From the perspective of mother nature, we do no different with squid, sardines, cudas and rockfish. It just hits home when a sportfish is involved.

JWALK

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 22, 2003
Orange
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
I used to have a 30' skipjack - Why did I sell my boat??!!!!
Jeff please be careful. The point i was trying to make it that IMHO the U.S. has really done a great job, (I am not saying everything), regulating our commercial fisheries.

Fishing is better than when I was kid on the East Coast because we started to understand the need for regulations in the 90's.

There is still some awful stuff going on here like mid water trolling for herring ... but honestly the U.S. has gone to great lenghts and commercial fisherman have give up so much to improve things and it's working.

What is above is an example of the countries who have 0 and mean 0 control/care over what their countries are doing to the oceans.

We need to be going after these groups/countries hard because we are being robbed of our resources.

I hate it when the U.S commercial guys just get lumped in, although to be honest in some instances it's absolutly correct.
I hear ya Brett, I was referring to global fishing in regards to lining, trawling and seining. As for bag limits, I was just expressing my opinion. I have no issues with people who keep 10+ palegics per trip, as it is legal and it is their choice. I just think it is uneccessary. I am guilty of it myself in years past. I have just learned over the years that it is better to keep fewer fish and to have less of a chance of spoilage.

brantc

Ranchero
May 15, 2004
crown point
Name
Brant
Boat
whichever one will have me
What's so fucked up about that video is that it shows how healthy the populations could be evidenced by all the juvenile fish. Sickening.

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
Dec 20, 2008
San Clemente
Name
Brett Weinberg
Boat
Parker 2120SCDV
I hear ya Brett, I was referring to global fishing in regards to lining, trawling and seining. As for bag limits, I was just expressing my opinion. I have no issues with people who keep 10+ palegics per trip, as it is legal and it is their choice. I just think it is uneccessary. I am guilty of it myself in years past. I have just learned over the years that it is better to keep fewer fish and to have less of a chance of spoilage.
I agree with everything you say. Bag limits are a joke here...5 halibut a day...come on!

Just hate lumping the U.S. commercial guys with the complete disregard the mediterranean guys have!

Team Karma

Aug 29, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
Kyle
Boat
54 Sculley: Karma 3
What is beyond baffling to me is why they would stockpile the fish. Are they really going to sell filets from 3 pound swordfish?

Like Brant said and Charlie highlighted in the article, this is an area where juvenile swordfish thrive and therefore needs to be protected.

Team Karma

Aug 29, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
Kyle
Boat
54 Sculley: Karma 3
From the perspective of mother nature, we do no different with squid, sardines, cudas and rockfish. It just hits home when a sportfish is involved.
I understand your point but disagree on the overall argument. All fish reproductive cycles were not created equally. Killing a dozen 8 pound yellowfin tuna is very different from killing a dozen 100 pound blue marlin even though they are both considered juveniles for their species. Just like wrapping 2 tons of squid in a single set is less impactful than accidentally wrapping 10 white sea bass in the same net.

Fish that reproduce, grow and reach sexual maturity quicker than other species can be harvested at a high rate with little impact on the health of the overall fish stock. Killing that many baby swordfish from long line sets could realistically impact swordfish population very quickly.

Blackfish

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 20, 2005
Monroeville
Name
Boat
toy
What's so fucked up about that video is that it shows how healthy the populations could be evidenced by all the juvenile fish. Sickening.

True. It also really fires up the anti fishing people, as they tend to clump us all into one group. That video made me feel guilty, and I have nothing or any reason reason to feel guilty for or about...

1:11

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat

That is not true. We are an intelligent species that chooses to regulate, and minimize our take, while implementing reasonable size limits and prohibiting the take of juveniles.

The fact is that all the proper and reasonable regs for sport-fishing are already in place and reasonable people agree that they are working and necessary to keep wanton take and waste to a minimum. We don't need draconian legislation and tyrannical laws keeping the common man from enjoying recreation and catching food, while this type of thing happens commercially. We have to continue to use our first amendment to speak against such enslaving legislation whenever possible. If you don't speak freely, you will lose that right too. Rights must be exercised and are no longer granted automatically, what does that tell you? Speak up sportsman!

Seems like a handful of people here are mad about the fish.... this is NOT about the fish!

2small

N
Jun 8, 2009
san diego
Name
m
Boat
228 Grady Seafarer
What is beyond baffling to me is why they would stockpile the fish. Are they really going to sell filets from 3 pound swordfish?

That's what I was thinking. What the hell are they going to do with those little guys? Man...that video is effd up. What a waste, seriously sitting here in disbelief. Can't stand seeing it and I'm sure crap like that goes on in spades daily around the world.

Swarthy Dago

Coredor de las olas
Aug 20, 2008
USA
Name
My name is Nobody
Boat
n/a
here is my usual rule, if i can line bounce one onto the deck, it goes back

Professor

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 17, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Yale
Boat
32' Blackman Sportfisher "Riley"
Let’s see, their fisheries programs are commercially and politically driven and ours are???????? Oh now I understand. Not really.

carcass

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 25, 2009
Cedar City Utah
Name
scott
Boat
None
Truly idiotic. Their economy is in the tank. I bet there is a lot of this going on with other species as well.

Compare this to the Kyoto Protocol. The US wants to agree to cut back its emissions while developing countries are allowed to spew it out. It would have no impact at all on greenhouse gasses.

The US is its own enemy. We'll cut our own throat (economy-wise) so others don't have to.

Matt09

Dec 10, 2011
The G-O-M.
Name
Matt Miller
Boat
MillerTime
I wish there was no such thing as commerical fishing. The world would appreciate the ocean more. That video honestly make's me want to cry.