Discussion on Rods and Reels

Kris K

Apr 13, 2016
Pleasant hill
Name
Kristopher Kent
Boat
Fillet Show
Sick of the rain and stuck on land for the last couple weeks, im tweaking out on gear selection for an upcoming 4 day on the RR3 (upcoming is a term i use loosely..july 16)

This will be my second trip aboard the long range fleet. Year before last we did a trip exact same dates on the royal star. Not my first choice in dates but its a busy summer with the family and im stoked to have a LR trip at all.

Wondering what people would pack for set ups on this trip. Per the last trip we couldve fished one rod the whole trip (ie avet mxl raptor on a phenix BD 20-60, 50 lb braid, 25 lb fluro) If u read the online recommendations they seem quite oversized for what i saw.

Heres my basics for the trip
1. Mxj g2 on an abyss 808 for 20 lb bait, 50 lb braid
2. Thunnus 12000 on a 8 ft black diamond 20-60 for SI, 65 lb braid
3. Raptor combo mentioned above
4. (2) accurate bv500 one 2 spd on penn carnage 2, medium 7' rated for 30-80 braid. (((((Would you fill these with 50 or 65?)))))
5. Talica 12ii on axis 7'2" rated 40-80. Spooled with 65 lb braid.

I have others i will bring but this is where im starting.

Any discussion is appreciated and a much needed distraction to my cabin fever

Adios!

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Kris... you're a bit early, since who knows what's going to be biting in July. It's a 4 day trip so you know you're not going too far. If the Blue fin are around and biting possible. Yellowtail most likely. Albacore is anyone's guess.

I have been trying to take less lately since I usually bring too much stuff. Excluding a trolling and kite outfit (which the boat has) your go to will be either 40 pound or maybe 30 pound. 20 pound might be a little light. A 50 pound outfit to jig fish would be handy. That being said, if you are using a straight flurocarbon top shot, you can change up pretty fast.

As to your BV 500. Personally i'd put 60/65 braid on them (I have a Boss 500 that I enjoy). However I use a a long mono top shot and tie fluro on the end with my 50 and under setups. I am a bit old school.

So you have to decide. But I'd check in Late June as to what's happening.

Have fun.. It's a great boat.

Reactions: Steve K

MAG0121

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 28, 2015
Encinitas, CA
www.coastlaw.com
Name
Marco Gonzalez
Boat
Nah
X2 on the 65lb for the BV500. That reel will hold plenty of line for what you'll be going for with those rigs. BTW, I really like the Penn Carnage II rods for the price. They don't get enough love, imho...

Kris K

Apr 13, 2016
Pleasant hill
Name
Kristopher Kent
Boat
Fillet Show
Right on. Thanks for the responses gentlemen. I know i am wayyyy early to be thinking about this but if you know me you know that i am a full blown junkie for this stuff....with the rains delaying my start on halibut i am in need of ways to focus my disease..lol

With the 65 on my accurates, i am happy because that mskes them better suited for albacore trolling assuming they show up for us again this year. My concern was that on the last trip i started getting bit much better when i started fishing 50 lb braid with my 25-30 fluro (perhaps the lighter spectra was easier to pull and made the bait more lively)
I had much less action on my reels with 65.

Which brings me to another point. What size braid to what size fluoro is the standard? I imagine not a lot of people are running 65 lb braid on a 30 lb set up...but maby.

Also, at what size reel/leader class do i want to move up to 80 lb with? Would my tac12 be best loaded with 80? Right now it probably is holding 400 yds of 65

Still really interesting how beefy the 4 day gear recommendations are on most on line sources. Perhaps they are outdated and dont reflect advancements in fishing tackle?

Marco, totally agree. I picked up a carnage 2 on clearance, loved it and havent seen them in any stores since. Bought a couple more on line. They seem super tough and have a great feel. One of the best handle grip designs ive held. I wonder why they are overlooked?

Tymeflyme

Feb 14, 2012
Albuquerque
Name
Vince
Boat
Isabel
The Thunnus 12000 on a 8 ft. black diamond 20-60 for SI, 65 lb. braid will do some damage. You'll be able to cast way past every one to get in the zone first.

Reactions: Kris K

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Kris, I don’t own a Talica but 400 yards is a nice amount of braid. So I’d leave it alone.

Granted the heavier Braid is a bit heavier for the bait to pull, but I would think it’s minimal compared to mono or flurocarbon.

Flurocarbon to braid. If you are going to insert into hollow core, it’s better to match them. Like 100 pound braid to 100 pound flurocarbon or mono. However if you tie a knot, such as a Sands, FG or Collins, it really doesn’t matter. I tie 30, 40 and 50 to my 60 braid. In fact I don’t use wind-ons under 80 pounds.

I haven’t really studied the tackle recommendation lately, and some maybe a bit dated. However like I said earlier, your go to will be 30 or 40. I know the trip is a Charkbait charted. In a month or two, give Mark from Charkbait a call. He’s been running that charter for many years and can get you up to speed. He also give away a lot of swag.

If you are really bored, get a copy of Jeff Burroughs book. He’s up near you so it would save shipping. He’s a wealth of information.

MAG0121

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 28, 2015
Encinitas, CA
www.coastlaw.com
Name
Marco Gonzalez
Boat
Nah
Last year I got 160+ on a 3/4 day boat, and multiple 120-130 within 1.5 day range. For my annual 3.5 day the last two years I’ve had my 80 and 130lb rigs ready. Overkill? Maybe, but better to have and not need than kick myself for leaving them at home and the big boys show up! Btw, I run 80lb solid on a 12VSX and Torque 40nld2. 130 hollow on a Makaira 20 SEA.

Regarding fluoro to braid, I’ll run anything from 20 to 50 on 65lb braid; from 15 to 30 on 50lb. Alberto knot, 6 turns up and back.

Kris K

Apr 13, 2016
Pleasant hill
Name
Kristopher Kent
Boat
Fillet Show
Thanks for that Rich....as i said, i have a sickness. Before my first trip i met up with jeff to pick his brain over coffee. Great guy! He humored me for almost 2 hrs. Bought the books and read them often.

wnowlin

slow pitch
May 22, 2017
riverview, fl
Name
walter nowlin
Boat
roberts snooker 171
Still planning my first long range trip out of san diego. I bought all four of Jeff's books and I am glad I did.

Kris K

Apr 13, 2016
Pleasant hill
Name
Kristopher Kent
Boat
Fillet Show
Im planning on bringing one 80-100 lb set up just in case we encounter big bft. I was given a shimano tld30 2 speed by a friend and filled it with 100 lb solid spectra. What would be a good rod to pair this with?

Or.... should i man up and pick up a talica20....if so same question..

Kris K

Apr 13, 2016
Pleasant hill
Name
Kristopher Kent
Boat
Fillet Show
For the record. This is a reel that i will have a couple chances to use each year as we began making an annual trip to sd with own boat in the late summer

MAG0121

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 28, 2015
Encinitas, CA
www.coastlaw.com
Name
Marco Gonzalez
Boat
Nah
Im planning on bringing one 80-100 lb set up just in case we encounter big bft. I was given a shimano tld30 2 speed by a friend and filled it with 100 lb solid spectra. What would be a good rod to pair this with?

Or.... should i man up and pick up a talica20....if so same question..
For that reel, I'd go with a UC VIPER, probably the 7'6". I don't think the Talica would be necessary.

Reactions: wnowlin

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Right on. Thanks for the responses gentlemen. I know i am wayyyy early to be thinking about this but if you know me you know that i am a full blown junkie for this stuff....

Still really interesting how beefy the 4 day gear recommendations are on most on line sources. Perhaps they are outdated and dont reflect advancements in fishing tackle?

Marco, totally agree. I picked up a carnage 2 on clearance, loved it and havent seen them in any stores since. Bought a couple more on line. They seem super tough and have a great feel. One of the best handle grip designs ive held. I wonder why they are overlooked?
Kris, too early? No, I like your enthusiasm and the excitement you have! Gotta make plans for the basics. What are the target species and how will we fish for them? That’s the question. Gonna say probably Yellows either on paddies or along the beach. Tuna? Don’t know if we’ll be in range for school sized Yellowfin but Bluefin sure sounds good!

So, fishing Yellows? Surface iron/jigstick, Salas 7X or Tady 45. YoYo iron, 6’6” rod good for 50 lb, Reel with a tall spool full of line, minimum 5:1 gearing. Personal choice whether all spectra or what I like, 100 yards of 50 lb mono, Salas 6X or 6X Jr or Tady 4/0. Flyline with two speed reels, 30 or 40 lb, 15-20 feet of fluorocarbon.

Let’s catch some Bluefin. I love hearing the most recent report from the Rooster. Fish at 180 miles. Some 40-60 pounders as well as some larger models. Same flyline outfits we use for Yellows will be the go to for those 40-60 lb guys. Plenty of advice out there for targeting those larger models with FlatFalls or maybe sinkers and Sardines. Turns out we can use that heavier gear to fish Yellows on the Dropper Loop, too.

If it looks like we’ll be getting into some smaller fish, I’ll be packing an eight foot baitstick and a smaller single speed, backed with 50 lb braid for fishing 20-25 lb.

You notice I keep saying us and we. That’s because I’m on the Bluefin Jim 6 day on the Rooster, departing the day you return. :)

As far as boat websites and the tackle recommendations, it certainly was a lot easier when all we had to choose from were Penn Jigmaster and 4/0 reels and Calstar or Seeker 670 and 6465H Rods. ;) Today, several new players worth consideration in the game like Penn, United Composites, Phenix, Okuma, you get the idea. Ask the captain or crew about MK-C-701MH-HD or CARBWII3080C70.

Reels? Penn, Accurate, Shimano, Okuma, Avet, Daiwa... You get the picture.

Reactions: RichG

hhal

dum vivimus: Venite vivere!
Dec 16, 2003
Apple Valley CA
Name
Hal
Boat
if it floats, flies or phucks you rent it...
Im planning on bringing one 80-100 lb set up just in case we encounter big bft. I was given a shimano tld30 2 speed by a friend and filled it with 100 lb solid spectra.
I'm pretty sure a TLD30 won't hold up to 80-100 lb. test line... I have one with a wilfish frame and in no way think of it as able to fish anything heavier than about 60

Reactions: Steve K

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
For that reel, I'd go with a UC VIPER, probably the 7'6". I don't think the Talica would be necessary.
I'm pretty sure a TLD30 won't hold up to 80-100 lb. test line... I have one with a wilfish frame and in no way think of it as able to fish anything heavier than about 60
Yes, that’s what I was thinking, 18-20 lbs of drag before losing freespool. More appropriate for 60 lb but if you want 80 lb, just better abrasion resistance. Probably some thing like a 76 Raptor.

Kris K

Apr 13, 2016
Pleasant hill
Name
Kristopher Kent
Boat
Fillet Show
Great summary Steve. Thank you everybody for taking the time to respond. I will probably stick to the tld30 and fill it with 80 lb solid for 60 lb live bait/dropper loop and just hope and pray if im lucky enough to get bit by one of those larger models. Im gonna need to save some purchases for the longer trips down the road. Whats the price tag on the uc 76 raptor? Do they carry them at the landing for last minute purchase?

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
Great summary Steve. Thank you everybody for taking the time to respond. I will probably stick to the tld30 and fill it with 80 lb solid for 60 lb live bait/dropper loop and just hope and pray if im lucky enough to get bit by one of those larger models. Im gonna need to save some purchases for the longer trips down the road. Whats the price tag on the uc 76 raptor? Do they carry them at the landing for last minute purchase?
Looks like it lists around $490 and change. Something similar for less, check with Micah at M&M Rods is running some great deals on rail rods. Like $325 great, on rods built on Rainshadow blanks.

I love the 76 Viper I built, fished it at Lupe and Hurricane Bank with a Mak 16SEa.

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Kris. If it looks like you will be chasing bigger fish, the Rooster had some great loaners, which will do the job. Just ask that they have one for you a week or so before you depart and remind the crew after the boat settles in.

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, a Mak 16 or 20 would be nice and 7.5 foot rail rod would go well. Or aPenn 16 or Accurate ATD 12.

Kris K

Apr 13, 2016
Pleasant hill
Name
Kristopher Kent
Boat
Fillet Show
Great recommendation on the loaners. Then maby i can chat with some folks and get a first hand feel for the options in the next weight class. Im pretty clueless when you get above 50 lb class gear. It all "feels wrong" since im not used to it.

I just put my tld30 2 spd on a phenix axis 7'2 xh (40-80) and im thinking this will be a solid 60 lb set up to bring along for the possibility of bft up to around 100 lb?. Case in point to me it feels like a marlin rod...lol

I like buying things and those accurate atd 12s look stellar but theres a fine line between money burning a hole in my pocket and divorce.

hhal

dum vivimus: Venite vivere!
Dec 16, 2003
Apple Valley CA
Name
Hal
Boat
if it floats, flies or phucks you rent it...
Great recommendation on the loaners. Then maby i can chat with some folks and get a first hand feel for the options in the next weight class. Im pretty clueless when you get above 50 lb class gear. It all "feels wrong" since im not used to it.

I just put my tld30 2 spd on a phenix axis 7'2 xh (40-80) and im thinking this will be a solid 60 lb set up to bring along for the possibility of bft up to around 100 lb?. Case in point to me it feels like a marlin rod...lol

I like buying things and those accurate atd 12s look stellar but theres a fine line between money burning a hole in my pocket and divorce.
yeah... those accurate reels are a bit spendy! I buy Penn, Shimano and mebbe Okuma. Lately it would appear that Penn and Okuma are the hot buys.

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Kris. Here’s my two cents. If you are seriously looking at the next step above 60 pound. It’s either 80 or 100. So the question is how often will you be fishing this class of gear. The large BFT have been around for a few years, BUT is hasn’t been an annual event before. 100 pound YFT at Guadalupe. Very possible at the right time of the year. Then Cow at the lower banks.

You could get a 100 pound set up and use 80 or even 130 on it. Just adjust you drag around the leader.

As to price, the Okuma Makaira is probably you best bet. Something that will hold 600 yards of 100 braid. The Accurate ADT 12 is nice, but pricey. Sometimes they turn up on EBay. Then get it serviced.

So you have a lot to think about, and start you wish list.

MAG0121

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 28, 2015
Encinitas, CA
www.coastlaw.com
Name
Marco Gonzalez
Boat
Nah
If I was starting right now on big fish gear, I’d get a Penn VSX 16 or 30. Now that the VISX has come out, the price for used versions of the older model has dropped, and those reels still kick butt. Easy to find on eBay for $350 or less. Fill one with a couple hundred yards of 80 solid spliced to a few hundred yards of 100 or 130 hollow and you’re set for just about anything. Learn to whip a loop, take a few windo-ons from 60 to 130lb, done.

Reactions: RichG

Kris K

Apr 13, 2016
Pleasant hill
Name
Kristopher Kent
Boat
Fillet Show
Nice that's some great advice! I will look into those VSX reels. Anyone know how they compare to the Talica 20 ii in performance?

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Don't overlook the Avet HX and HXW Raptors. Lots of cows landed with them, less expensive and put out 50 lbs of drag. And you have the option of 3 speed (for a little more money) if you think it is a benefit, which some do.

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Kris. I just remember, the Rooster has most of its reports Post in the archives on the web page. You can look back and get an idea of what was caught over the past years.

Mar 20, 2018
Seattle, WA
Name
Steel Seeker 40
Boat
Pelican Catch 120
I appreciate that I'm not the only one overthinking my July 2.5 day. I've only done 1.5 for the past few years with my Avet MXL and a spinner for 20# bait and small jigs/irons. I've yet to come across anything big that challenged those set ups. For the extra day I've added an LX with 65# braid and a JX both in 2 speed. I hadn't considered if I tie 12ft fluoro leaders instead of longer top shots I could probably bring down the number of set-ups I might need. I had intended on adding something else like an MXJ for casting irons or an SX for light line. It's easy to fall down this rabbit hole. I like to hope I'm set up to catch some tuna on this one. Would you put as low as 30# fluoro on that 65# braid? Then I might get away with using the MXL for casting irons at 30# without needing to buy another smaller reel.

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Steel. Not sure what you have and are considering. Can you list them with what you are thinking.

Thanks

Kris K

Apr 13, 2016
Pleasant hill
Name
Kristopher Kent
Boat
Fillet Show
I would put 30 lb fluoro on 65. That said, on my last trip, the people who were catching better with 30 were fishing it on 50 lb braid. As soon as I switched my hookups increased.....so I'm bringing a couple set ups with 50 lb braid for 20-30 lb leaders.

Reactions: Steel Seeker 40