Kahoa21

Oct 20, 2020
Hawaii
Name
Chris U
Boat
Whaler 130 super sport
Hey All,
I have a whaler 130 with a 40 hp Mercury outboard motor and I’m a total newbie in boating. I tried searching my questions below but been getting contradicting answers online. I had the below questions for this forum:
1. After using my boat, should I disconnect the quick disconnect fuel line after every use? Anyone have issues if you don’t?
2. Every time I connect or disconnect the fuel line using the quick disconnect, it’s a struggle to do both (I need a lot of force) and when I finally do get it, a good amount of fuel squirts out (1-2 ounces). Is the force and fuel squirts normal? Am I slowly damaging the quick disconnect?

Carpfisher

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
Jul 3, 2012
Carpinteria
Name
Paul
Boat
226 Cabo Cuddycon, 16' Bayrunner
1- Not nessasary
2- Dry, old O ring making it hard to r & r. Next time off, a LIGHT coating of silicone grease that won't swell the o ring should help, Slight squirt is normal, especially if tank is higher than outboard and has gravity feeding pressure. Like the fuel tank under deck in the bow on mine.Also make sure vent on tank cap is open. If its an older carbureted mercury, Run it out of fuel and disconnect if its gonna be sitting a while. My 2 cents.

Reactions: AKSalmon

sebastian

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 1, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Sebastian
Boat
Ocean Seafari - 17 Whaler
On my older 2 stroke, I used to disconnect the fuel line and let the fuel run out.

Dragon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
I used to just leave it connected. I also had a bleeder valve on the tank...FWIW