Nookie Hooker

Aquatic Slayer
Jul 10, 2010
Custer, Wa
Name
Chris
Boat
Capt. Red
Anybody else having issues with their hunting/fishing licenses literally disappearing? I know our seasons, limits, and opportunities are faster than welfare hounds in a job, but the printing on my license has faded to near zero.
Standby for another stunning story of the incompetent morons running WDFW..

To answer the first question headed my way- No, it did not go thru the washer/dryer/dishwasher.. It has lived in 3 places
1- My safe
2- My pocket
3- In my boat
In all 3 places, it is always in the little plastic holder most places give you

So, today I went to the local sporting goods store to get a replacement license. When I explained the situation to the Nice Young Lady (NYL) behind the counter, and showed the license to her, she said “no problem, $7 bucks and I can print you another set”. “Pardon”, say I. “I should not have to pay anything for THEIR ink fading away”. She offered to call WDFW Licensing and proceeded to get a person down there on the line and explained the situation. I could hear the woman on the other end of the line quite clearly say “ We are aware of this problem, but he will still have to pay the $7. We don’t have a remedy for this”. As my BP ratcheted up about 30 points, the NYL hung up and told me what I had already heard. I thanked her for trying, and was asking for the licensing telephone number she called (so I could place my own call from a more private, less socially-restrictive place), when the owner of the store came up and said “What’s going on Chris?” I rattled off my story and he was back on the horn to WDFW immediately. He got the same BS story as the NYL, so he asked to be bumped up the food chain. Well, the next buffoon bleated out the same line of shit “ Ahhh, sorry. We know this happens sometimes but we have no remedy to the issue….blah blah blah”

The store owner hung up shaking his head, then apologized to me. We noted the phone numbers called, the time & date, and names of the WDFW morons we spoke to, and then I left the store without a new license as I refused to give those Mill Creek assholes one red cent more.

If you hung in here this long, now you get the rest of the story: I fixed the problem myself!,

From now on, I will be filling out my Salmon, Halibut, and Crab Catch Cards with disappearing ink also! I will also sign my Duck Stamp with it. Seems like a fair trade to me. I cannot wait for my next encounter with WDFW Enforcement.

The ineptitude and lack of Give a Damn in our state is truely staggering. I have attached a picture, which oddly enough actually makes more of the writing on it appear. I used nuts to hold the license down, as symbolically that is who I was trying to deal with today🤬
CF6F546D-A792-411B-AF74-F958AB331612.jpeg

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    Anybody else having issues with their hunting/fishing licenses literally disappearing? I know our seasons, limits, and opportunities are faster than welfare hounds in a job, but the printing on my license has faded to near zero.
    Standby for another stunning story of the incompetent morons running WDFW..

To answer the first question headed my way- No, it did not go thru the washer/dryer/dishwasher.. It has lived in 3 places
    1- My safe
    2- My pocket
    3- In my boat
    In all 3 places, it is always in the little plastic holder most places give you

So, today I went to the local sporting goods store to get a replacement license. When I explained the situation to the Nice Young Lady (NYL) behind the counter, and showed the license to her, she said “no problem, $7 bucks and I can print you another set”. “Pardon”, say I. “I should not have to pay anything for THEIR ink fading away”. She offered to call WDFW Licensing and proceeded to get a person down there on the line and explained the situation. I could hear the woman on the other end of the line quite clearly say “ We are aware of this problem, but he will still have to pay the $7. We don’t have a remedy for this”. As my BP ratcheted up about 30 points, the NYL hung up and told me what I had already heard. I thanked her for trying, and was asking for the licensing telephone number she called (so I could place my own call from a more private, less socially-restrictive place), when the owner of the store came up and said “What’s going on Chris?” I rattled off my story and he was back on the horn to WDFW immediately. He got the same BS story as the NYL, so he asked to be bumped up the food chain. Well, the next buffoon bleated out the same line of shit “ Ahhh, sorry. We know this happens sometimes but we have no remedy to the issue….blah blah blah”

The store owner hung up shaking his head, then apologized to me. We noted the phone numbers called, the time & date, and names of the WDFW morons we spoke to, and then I left the store without a new license as I refused to give those Mill Creek assholes one red cent more.

If you hung in here this long, now you get the rest of the story: I fixed the problem myself!,

From now on, I will be filling out my Salmon, Halibut, and Crab Catch Cards with disappearing ink also! I will also sign my Duck Stamp with it. Seems like a fair trade to me. I cannot wait for my next encounter with WDFW Enforcement.

The ineptitude and lack of Give a Damn in our state is truely staggering. I have attached a picture, which oddly enough actually makes more of the writing on it appear. I used nuts to hold the license down, as symbolically that is who I was trying to deal with today🤬View attachment 1318591
    Not going to help your situation, but Oregon had the same problem. The answer…… Can’t put license in the plastic little holder any longer. The heat sensitive ink has some sort of disappearing act because of the type of paper and the heat inside of the plastic.

They now hand it to you in a paper sleeve if you get a paper one. Most of our licenses are online now, but harvest cards are required to be paper…. So you still must have paper and make a trip to go get it.

Upvote 0

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
    Aug 8, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    "Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
    No ink involved... the paper is thermal reactive and the printers basically use heat to make the thermal paper react and show text as it passes through the print head...
    There are varying qualities of this paper... you can buy low quality shit that does this and you can buy quality thermal paper that does not do this. This is clearly a case of the state buying low quality thermal paper and this could easily be rectified by purchasing quality thermal paper.

Reactions: Tower Todd
    Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    I bought the required license. Their agent, using WDFW hardware and software, printed it and handed it to me. I put it in the sleeve provided. I filled it in as required. If LE can’t read it and wants to make an issue, we can go to court.

Upvote 0

Hunter Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jun 30, 2011
    Stauffer
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    MUGWUMP
    I was a dealer for 20 years. Served as a dealer advisor committee member for 18 of those years. My committee opined that the paper stock was a mistake and unsuitable from day one. Unfortunately there are very few companies that do this sort of business and the state has entered into a contract with one and that's that. Harassing a staffer over this is a waste of time and a disservice to whichever sacrificial lambs you've encountered. The director and commission , and more probably the legislature is where to take this.
    My well cared for documents are fading and darker than normal too. I think it was the June heat wave. I've never personally saw heat that high with this paper stock before. I do have a suggestion though, won't get around the reprint fees for catch cards or tags, BUT if you tell your nice young lady ( with a twinkle in your eye!) that you would like to make a ONE DOLLAR donation to WDFW youth programs your actual license should automatically reprint! I really doubt they've ever figured that one out and fixed it.

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
    Aug 8, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    "Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
    I was a dealer for 20 years. Served as a dealer advisor committee member for 18 of those years. My committee opined that the paper stock was a mistake and unsuitable from day one. Unfortunately there are very few companies that do this sort of business and the state has entered into a contract with one and that's that. Harassing a staffer over this is a waste of time and a disservice to whichever sacrificial lambs you've encountered. The director and commission , and more probably the legislature is where to take this.
    My well cared for documents are fading and darker than normal too. I think it was the June heat wave. I've never personally saw heat that high with this paper stock before. I do have a suggestion though, won't get around the reprint fees for catch cards or tags, BUT if you tell your nice young lady ( with a twinkle in your eye!) that you would like to make a ONE DOLLAR donation to WDFW youth programs your actual license should automatically reprint! I really doubt they've ever figured that one out and fixed it.
    Will the catch card re-print as well? or just the license with the added item listed?

Upvote 0

Salmon King

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 29, 2013
    Everett, WA, USA
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
    I had my halibut check marks fade away too. 🙃

Looks like some cheapo thermal paper got warm. As long as you have your wild ID, they can look you up. I haven’t heard on any citations for a faded license. Good on you to try to get a new one but that is way more than I would have done.

Upvote 0

Hunter Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jun 30, 2011
    Stauffer
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    MUGWUMP
    Will the catch card re-print as well? or just the license with the added item listed?
    Just the license. The CRC has its own reprint fee to discourage those who 'lose' their card to get around the annual limit species. Same thing for game tags.
    Now, the dealer terminals did get replaced recently. Maybe this trick doesn't work anymore. My local dealer lets me behind the counter to do my own, but I haven't got to poke around . Seems very similar however.

Upvote 0

8Footer13

Sep 1, 2015
    Oak Karbor
    Name
    Wendell
    Boat
    Seaquest 2150WA
    My wife had a similar problem with her licenses two years ago. Turns out, in her case, it was the nice plastic waterproof license holder I bought her. She now puts them in a cheap folder over sandwich bag before putting it in the holder and hasn't had a problem since.

Reactions: Nookie Hooker
    Upvote 0