Direct to spectra.... WHO's hooked a fish on a direct tie to braid....?

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    All this talk about Flouro or Mono leaders... I want to hear from BD how many of you have BAIT FISHED and hooked up on a direct tie to your mainline braid.....ie "Spectra to hook"? (Excluding the kite)

Personally I've seen it done a few times.... and few is the term. Each time was in the "Wide Open" pandimonium of the first few minutes of a bite. Saw "rabid" Dorado....eat ANYTHING with a flash.... saw it on a LR trip...nice fish too...maybe 25lbs. Many tried.... only 1 fish...lol. Also saw it fishing stripies on the Ridge.... taking boats to Cabo. 15 or 20 "lit up" marlin at the swimstep.... will eat ANYTHING. 3 fish in one day on direct tie spectra to hook. Blind fish? Starved? Wanted to die? Your thoughts...

As for tuna.... Excluding the kite.... I haven't seen it EVER. Did more than 50 LR trips. Fished 55 years. Skippered 20 years. NEVER SEEN IT.

How about you? ANY and ALL Tales welcome here. I think.... there's a few "observations" you might share..... hopefully. Let's hear from you.

Reactions: jiggermyster

Reel 007

Jun 12, 2006
    Glendora Ca
    Name
    Leon
    Boat
    28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
    I have not done bait, however I tied 65lb braid directly to a salas 6X on a Penn torque 200X and hooked a yellowtail at the 3V that later weight 28lb, what a shit show, intense for about 3-4 minutes, then a steady pull up and wind down.
    When we landed the fish the treble hook was almost straight.

DennisV

Jan 4, 2017
    Paloma, CA
    Name
    Dennis Vagt
    Boat
    Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
    Never done it or seen it done. I started fishing braid to short fluoro leaders. Over time I noticed my catch rate increased as my fluoro got longer. I now use 25 to 30 ft of fluoro straight to braid. Don't think it's that critical for yt or dorado etc. but I'm convinced it makes a difference for those fussy bft.

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    WAAAY before the commercialization of spectra... Capt Russ Izor asked me to try his "new" yellow "kevlar" braid... on a 16 day trip.

Did just that... rigged up a Tady TNT and dropped it at SICORRO... direct tied to the new kevlar line on a PENN 50. Got bit.... and that fish beat the hell out of me.

Up to that point in my fishing career....I never realized how important mono's... "angler forgiveness" (stretch) really was.... to my fish fighting skills and angling strategy. That Kevlar.... every head shake.... every abrupt turn.... every burning run.... I felt DIRECTLY on my end. After about 45.minutes...got that fish... 187# on the jig. (DIRECT TIE).

ZERO baitfish.

....says something to me.

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
    Sep 18, 2006
    Costa Mesa, Cailf
    Name
    Walt
    Boat
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
    Can you catch fish tying braid directly to a hook? Of course.
    You can also jump off the Golden Gate Bridge and on occasion survive .
    Spectras poor knot retention and its next to zero abrasion resistance
    do not exactly lend itself to that application. Don't normally get emphatic
    regarding recommendations but in this case can not emphasize enough
    ....please resist the temptation of the Dark Side...

Walt

Upvote 0

Bill Erhardt

Jan 1, 2006
    Loreto, Mexico
    Name
    Bill Erhardt
    Boat
    Bluewater 23T "Soledad"
    This YF that taped 190# took a mackerela on a hook looped directly to 65# JB spectra on Lucetania Bank off Baja.

190# tuna.jpg

eric perez

stillapinhead
    Mar 3, 2018
    Costa Mesa Ca
    Name
    eric perez
    Boat
    no mas
    Ive caught sculpin and sand bass on the direct tie... I was at a BBQ one time and after a few cocktails me and a buddy somehow decided to jump on a twilight run... grabbed a bait caster but no line... fished straight 40lb green PP... in the dark... hooks kept sliding off... total shit show... just kept drinking beer... DGAF... LOL

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    Hooked one that was most likely in the 200lb to 220 range...all the other fish in that school were that...130lb braid. 50w avet on a broom stick and nearly had the rod ripped out of my hands..it was only on for a minute before the hook ripped out and it was pretty funny cause immediately the whole boat knew...one deck hand said I bet you felt every tail beat...I replied tail beat??? Hell I could feel the heart beat!!

tunakillerjoe1

• Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Don't all the fresh water guys tie directly on? I am not one, but see some shows on TV where it seems like they tie directly (on lures, not bait).

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Back in the stone age when Russ was introducing his spectra he gave an outstanding demo of its improvement over mono at the Fred Hall Show in Long Beach. Properly impressed, I spent big bucks spooling it onto three of my bigger reels before my next tuna hunt. No more weak hooksets for me!

To use it for baitfishing, we would take a black marker pen and color the line for about ten feet. There was a lot of discussion around the galley tables about the best way to tie a hook or lure on since it was hard to prevent line slip. I and several others got painful finger cuts while trying to tighten the knots.

In use, it proved to be such a disaster by cutting off other lines that it was mostly banned from use for a number of years by the long range fleet. Only when we learned several knots that would allow a strong connection from braid to mono, and the use of at least a cast-length of mono as a topshot, did braid make a comeback for big fish on the sport boats. The commercial fleet used different methods and adapted quicker.

Upvote 0

mangajack

May 2, 2021
    Petrie
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    449 Assault Pro
    Plenty of bass in the land down under fall to lures tied directly to braid....the last 5 feet of braid gets black texta on it......others that fish the same location use FC with similar results.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Can not imagine any difference between heavy leader 10 foot long to spectra. The guys fishing the Tranx cast all spectra. Now… fishing 12-15# mono is like fishing a rubber band. Never really get being beat up, maybe it is how I fish

Upvote 0

pkmallard

Sep 3, 2014
    Name
    P.
    Boat
    ranger
    Tried once for wahoo with a Raider at Alijos, figuring that I'm reeling so fast, the chances of them being line shy are less. I hooked one right off the bat, and thought he was going to dislocate my shoulders. Zero stretch at all, was a huge difference for me. He ended up biting through the line. I'll never try that again.

Upvote 0