CMY SIX

ASSHOLE #2
Feb 5, 2011
Opelika Al USA
Name
quinn
Boat
exel last, next?
OK, I'm going on the Indy in Nov. 10, COW trip, talked to a couple of people going on same trip and there all stoked about catching wahoo. personally I don't care about catching one when I do, I'll take a wahoo trip, I want to hang a cow or a super cow and thats what the trip is supposed to be a "Big Tuna trip". That said, this is the QUESTION? If I have to have it in my tackle box? WHAT IS THE BARE MINIMUM I NEED FOR WAHOO? I already have far to much $ invested and I'm about spent out! thank you I have gotten much valuable advice so far and I mean that both ways.

Upvote 0

1000clowns

Dec 17, 2006
SF Bay Area
Name
Jay Orbon
Boat
none
On the troll you can probably use the boat gear. For the minimum bring some single strand wire and a haywire twist tool, or just borrow one on the way down and make some leaders. I caught a 100# tuna on 44# wire. I went out and bought some 60# wire after that experience. Fish tuna until the cut-offs piss you off and then put on a leader and fish wahoo.

Upvote 0

offshore6

Where's the tuna?
Aug 20, 2006
Indialantic, Florida
Name
Eric
Boat
Boat Ho
I agree with 1000clowns above. Use the rod/reel that you have for catching live bait. Anything 30-50 lbs that holds 300 yds of line will work. Don't need a long rod to catch wahoo on sardines. 5/0 J hook. SHARPEN IT! 18" single strand wire leader. You don't need the tool if you can tie a haywire twist.

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Walnut Creek CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
Quinn,

If you choose to, you can purchase pre-made Wahoo bait leaders with hooks (Burns makes them) and use the boat trolling gear. Or better yet, sit down with a beer and watch others fish for Wahoo. You certainly do not have to bring Wahoo gear and tackle on any trip!

- Jeff

Upvote 0

Mr GreenJeans

Aug 23, 2006
Irvine
Name
David
Boat
Kayak
Yup, as said above, use the boat's troll gear. After a hook up most people throw out a jig. You can throw out a wired bait hook, but chances are the jigs will snag you and bring you up. So consider bringing along two or three Raiders or Catchy Tackle jigs. Wire them up just like you would the bait hook and toss them out on a 50# rig.

If the boat is on anchor with tuna around, they won't pull the hook just to look for wahoo. But if they are drifting and the bite slows down mid day, that is the time they are most likely to spend a few hours trolling for wahoo. If they do, then embrace the opportunity. They are fun to catch and delicious to eat.

Upvote 0

Sactotuna

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 20, 2005
sacramento
Name
jim
Boat
Royal Star
Unless the lower bank are dead dead dead your 11 day trip will not be headed for Clarion or Hurricane. Odds for wahoo are beyond slim. A couple wired jigs, 6 bait leaders, you're good.

I'm with you, screw the wahoo!

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
North Carolina........I escaped Kalifornistan!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
OK, I'm going on the Indy in Nov. 10, COW trip, talked to a couple of people going on same trip and there all stoked about catching wahoo. personally I don't care about catching one when I do, I'll take a wahoo trip, I want to hang a cow or a super cow and thats what the trip is supposed to be a "Big Tuna trip". That said, this is the QUESTION? If I have to have it in my tackle box? WHAT IS THE BARE MINIMUM I NEED FOR WAHOO? I already have far to much $ invested and I'm about spent out! thank you I have gotten much valuable advice so far and I mean that both ways.

well, I sure wouldnt go with that CRAPPY Microsoft Security software.....

......just sayin. :D

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Bare minimum would be the 30 lb and 50 lb outfits to fish with. 30 for bait, 50 for jigs and bombs. If the water temps take a dive, you will not have spent any money unnecessarily. If the temps hold up, and the Wahoo make a showing, just buy what you need from the boat. Lower Banks trip will probably be making bait in Mag Bay and you'll use the 30 lb outfit for that. 50 lb? Don't leave home without it.

If your trip ends up in the lower zone, Clarion / Hurricane Bank, you may have a chance to fish the skinnies.

Upvote 0

CMY SIX

ASSHOLE #2
Feb 5, 2011
Opelika Al USA
Name
quinn
Boat
exel last, next?
Bare minimum would be the 30 lb and 50 lb outfits to fish with. 30 for bait, 50 for jigs and bombs. If the water temps take a dive, you will not have spent any money unnecessarily. If the temps hold up, and the Wahoo make a showing, just buy what you need from the boat. Lower Banks trip will probably be making bait in Mag Bay and you'll use the 30 lb outfit for that. 50 lb? Don't leave home without it.

If your trip ends up in the lower zone, Clarion / Hurricane Bank, you may have a chance to fish the skinnies.

smallest I'm bringing is a 12T Cal Super with 60lb JB hollow that's what I planned on using for bait

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
Unless the lower bank are dead dead dead your 11 day trip will not be headed for Clarion or Hurricane. Odds for wahoo are beyond slim. A couple wired jigs, 6 bait leaders, you're good.

I'm with you, screw the wahoo!

I think I remember hearing Frank LoPreste in a seminar a few years back. He spoke about gearing up for trips to the islands, when they were available. I recall him saying "Bring four 50 wides and two 80's. Screw the wahoo and let the crew fish for bait! "

Upvote 0

Sactotuna

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 20, 2005
sacramento
Name
jim
Boat
Royal Star
I think I remember hearing Frank LoPreste in a seminar a few years back. He spoke about gearing up for trips to the islands, when they were available. I recall him saying "Bring four 50 wides and two 80's. Screw the wahoo and let the crew fish for bait! "

Now, I heard that was an old Ralph Mikkelsen qoute.

Upvote 0

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
A hook.

Seriously. Thats the minimum. If you want to go medium, bring a hook and some wire (30-50lb). Wanna start going Heavy? Iron and bombs.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
Upvote 0

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn on way to Florida
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
Just don't fish the Wahoo
Sit back and watch your shipmates cream in there jeans.
WOW?

Upvote 0

alan760

Dec 7, 2003
Encinitas, CA
Name
Alan
Boat
American Angler
40lb outfit bait with a long topshot of mono. 40lb wire leader and a 3/0 eagle claw bronze cheap hook. 5-6 leaders should get you by. Chances are the hoos will have heavy fishing pressure and be wary so bait will probably work best. If you want a jig rod, 50lb outfit, high speed reel and 2-3 wahoo bombs will do. If you stop on a paddy, bombs are preferred over iron because it may have pesky dorado. If you don't want to buy any more iron (which is crazy talk BTW) just use the same iron you use for YT (dorado, blue/white, anything chrome) will also work.

Upvote 0

reellady

I'd rather be catching TUNA
Aug 26, 2011
fresno, ca usa
Name
donna
Boat
reel lady
On November trips, hoos are only scratched, maybe half dozen on the boat if lucky. I would recommend a couple of jigs (wired) and a few wired hooks. That should be more than plenty, and odds are they will not be used.

I has been at least 8-10 years since we have seen a lot of hoo in November.

Upvote 0

CMY SIX

ASSHOLE #2
Feb 5, 2011
Opelika Al USA
Name
quinn
Boat
exel last, next?
On November trips, hoos are only scratched, maybe half dozen on the boat if lucky. I would recommend a couple of jigs (wired) and a few wired hooks. That should be more than plenty, and odds are they will not be used.

I has been at least 8-10 years since we have seen a lot of hoo in November.
I really respect your opinion, OK I bought some wire 60, 70 ,100 and a tool, so what colors seem to work best in the jigs, raiders ? you know blue/white is just about all you need for YT, what's Wahoo's favorite color. and I wasn't meaning to down you on your software there's just better out there sorry.

Upvote 0

reellady

I'd rather be catching TUNA
Aug 26, 2011
fresno, ca usa
Name
donna
Boat
reel lady
I really respect your opinion, OK I bought some wire 60, 70 ,100 and a tool, so what colors seem to work best in the jigs, raiders ? you know blue/white is just about all you need for YT, what's Wahoo's favorite color. and I wasn't meaning to down you on your software there's just better out there sorry.

I use only 30# wire with a J hook on 40# mono, as far as jigs, a money jig, a lucky lady and a charcoal with a pink tip (all 3 from hightidesportfishing.com) They worked utterly fantastic on my May trip, had 15 hoos. Have some coming in the mail to me right now. Be sure to wire the jigs. I am taking on my Nov trip on the RRIII, but really don't expect to get them wet much.

Avatar is a hoo with a hightide jig wired on 50# mono.

Upvote 0

spinner

Dec 2, 2007
irvine
Name
mikegooing
Boat
none
alla john grabowski, take all your big gear and screw the wahoo. i like that idea. i let jim mitchel catch my wahoo limit for me on my last big trip. he would have much rather caught my big ones.gooooooooing

Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
Some like fishing for wahoo, some don't. You won't really know until you try.

Fishing jigs, I generally like Raiders (and Catchy Tackle Sea Strike 33s too). Gold works great, but the skinnies seem to really go APE SHIT over pink. Salas has an all-pink version of the 6x Jr. with a single hook, specifically designed for wahoo (Charkbait sells it, for one). No other jig I've ever seen has ever come close to getting hit like that one. Two different trips, same insane results. I got some pink Raiders too, and they were almost as irresistible. Regardless, I peel the tape off the jigs to keep the fish's teeth from digging in and preventing a hookup.

Fishing bait, I think Eric already gave you the straight dope. I like to use a very stealthy setup, so I like a much smaller hook than a 5/0. A 1/0 Mustad Hoodlum is perfect as far as I'm concerned. 18" of wire, 27lbs or 32 lbs is ideal, with a small and stealthy swivel on one end, and the hook on the other. I use the DuBro Haywire twist tool, but you can learn to make a good haywire twist using just your bare fingertips if you have the patience.

Trips where I think I might catch wahoo, I try to come prepared. Thing is, though, I LIKE catching 'hoo...

Upvote 0