Different electronics question (120v ac)

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by richardp, Sep 11, 2018.

1. richardp

richardp I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    2470 Pursuit 300 Yami
    Ok any electricians or low voltage experts- i have an issue that is driving me batshit crazy. drew a chicken scratch diagram to try and explain. 1 switch with 2 wire going to 1st outlet and then connected to a couple more outlets (3 wire) with all switches half hot half switched. adding an overhead light fixture and tried to hook into 2 wire running from switch but does not work in any configuration. i thought it would but...no mas. my guess is that i can only hook to one of those (switch leg or load) from the light fixture with the other having to tie into another spot on the circuit?! Help!!! 20180911_095047.jpg

2. richardp

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    2470 Pursuit 300 Yami
    I am guessing i need to figure out which wire from switch is switched vs always hot and hook 1 wire to that from light.....ok....where does other wire go!?

3. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    So let me get this right. You currently have a switch that controls one side of three outlets and you want this same switch to turn a light fixture on and off? Btw your diagram sucks lol. Do you really want one switch to control the new light and 1/2 of the three outlets? It would be pretty easy to add another switch.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  4. Wild Bill

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    Switch probably has 2 black wires which one is incoming power and other is switched power wire. If you hooked both wires to light fixture you have not completed curcuit. Switched (should be black) wire from switch should tie to black wire on light fixture as well as to three outlets (one side). White wire on circuit (neutral) will tie to white on light fixture. You may have to go to first outlet to find the white neutral wire in the circuit. Green on fixture to ground. Sounds like you could use a hand Richard. I could probably come help you sort it out one afternoon this week

Nick Rudnick and fishing fanatic like this.
  5. richardp

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    2470 Pursuit 300 Yami
    As you described Steve that setup made it work in reverse and the switchable side of the outlet became a light switch as well. in this setup i dont think the white from switch is neutral but the return? its ok i will figure out eventually (hopefully through bd) i hate to have you make a trip. The deal is that switch (2 wire) and light fixture are easily accessible but all other is down in wall. I assume i have to run a traveler into wall something i wanted to avoid but dont k ow where to take the neutral liggt fixture wire...

6. richardp

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    2470 Pursuit 300 Yami
    Appreciate the offer Steve

7. Wild Bill

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    if there is only two wires at switch an one is white it is not the return side of circuit (neutral). You will need to find the white wire in circuit that is neutral and hook the fixtures white wire to it. The return in a 110v circuit is the neutral.

fishing fanatic likes this.
  8. Wild Bill

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    Using a meter you need to determine which wire from switch is indeed the switched power and hook it to the black wire on fixture. There would be no reason they would have run a neutral to the switch, so you will have to go find it at the nearest outlet in the circuit . Hope all my rambling helps.

fishing fanatic likes this.
  9. richardp

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    2470 Pursuit 300 Yami
    When i did that the switchable outlet became a switch as well. i had a space heater plugged in and when i turned it on the light came on. when i swapped wires the switchable outlet became the open circuit and plugging anything in turned the light on. It seems simple but i am missing something....

10. richardp

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    2470 Pursuit 300 Yami
    The neutral at 1st outlet with only 2 wires (which is accessible) at top of wall will not work as i have tried that so u are talking the neutral coming out of that outlet which is a 3 wire. i guess i need to know which wire on there and run why from light down to one of those 3 in outlet?

11. richardp

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    2470 Pursuit 300 Yami
    Ok i think i have it, neither of those 2 wire are neautral i will have to go down to 1st outlet and hook neutral from fixture to that neutral (coming from power source direction)

12. richardp

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    2470 Pursuit 300 Yami
    Thanks Steve

13. Wild Bill

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    Yes you did not have the neutral and when you plugged heater in and turned it on you completed circuit to light through heater. Was the light kind of dim lol?

14. gfakkema

gfakkema Certified D.I.N.K. (Dual Income No Kids)

Name:
    Gregg
    Boat:
    22' Arima Sea Legend
    IMO, if you don't know what a grounded conductor, ungrounded conductor, equipment grounding conductor and/or a bonding jumper is or what they look like, you have no business wiring this up. Please take Steve's advice and get someone on site who knows what they are doing.

Ugly Bayliner likes this.
  15. jasper hickman

jasper hickman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jasper
    Boat:
    26' sea master, RED BEARD
    You in Burlington? I’m am making the Bellingham to Everett commute daily. I would be willing to swing by and help sort it out.

Wild Bill likes this.
  16. jasper hickman

Name:
    jasper
    Boat:
    D85269CA-4D3C-486B-B570-16FC585125DE.jpeg 2DB54BB7-6881-412D-8E03-BC989E5CC0C4.jpeg

I trouble shoot things like this so we should be able to get your light circuit nailed down in short order

17. richardp

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    2470 Pursuit 300 Yami
    LOL, house built in '77 and they didnt mark or notate otherwise any of the neutral wires that were hot in any of the wiring in my place. i know it should be simple and i'm probably an idiot but cut me a little slack. Was trying to avoid having to run jumper inside a wall

18. Ugly Bayliner

Ugly Bayliner I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve Ericsson
    Boat:
    20' Ugly Bayliner
    Pretty basic for someone who knows electricity. Get someone who knows what they’re doing!!

19. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    House built in 77 the wiring was done different. Now a days they bring power into the switch and then send a wire up to the light. The blacks are broken by the switch......

That is current wiring.... in 77 they likely brought the power into the light box and used two wires to make a switch leg. You cannot feed out of that because you are missing half of the circuit. Also do you have more than one switch on this circuit?

Just a guess..... My brother in law tried and had a similar situation and every time he plugged something in it completed thenlighting circuit and his out door light came on....

Hope that helps?!? Hard trouble shooting over the net....

Ugly Bayliner likes this.
  20. jasper hickman

Name:
    jasper
    Boat:
    We got it all dialed in this afternoon.

Gooch Larue, Ugly Bayliner and G-Spot like this.