ajon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 20, 2004
Alpine, CA
Name
andy
Boat
freebait
anybody fished both areas? looking to get an idea of how much difference there is between fishing in Houston. FYI Im in San Diego possibly moving to houston.

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
No ocean in Houston. Figure on driving a few hours. Better titty bars though

Reactions: Mark Duncan

ajon

Oct 20, 2004
Alpine, CA
Name
andy
Boat
freebait
Are the waves and wind that much different?

Day0ne

Dec 24, 2004
Texas
Name
David
Boat
233 Formula Shadowdancer
No ocean in Houston. Figure on driving a few hours. Better titty bars though
More like 30-45 minutes, depending on where in Houston you are.

Reactions: ScaleyOne

Day0ne

Dec 24, 2004
Texas
Name
David
Boat
233 Formula Shadowdancer
Are the waves and wind that much different?
Yes. The Gulf is very shallow near the upper TX coast compared to the Pacific, especially off Houston/Galveston, creating a choppy sea. Where the 100 fathom line may be as close as 3 mi off CA, it can be close to 100 mi off Galveston. The wind can be a problem early in the year but by July/August it will usually calm down. The wind is a major cause of bad sea conditions. The conditions a lot of people look for are seas less than 3 ft, at least 6 seconds apart and wind under 10mph. One reason cats are popular

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
I spent a few years there, Wade fishing was fun and the water is really warm in the summer. A little wind isn't bad wade fishing,not so many mosquitos. Whole different deal than San Diego though. Hope you like it there

5-20

Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower
Jan 20, 2011
San Diego
Name
5-20
Boat
L2 Fish
Very different. You're going from a place that has world class fishing for many species to a place where you'll get eaten alive by mosquitoes anytime after dusk. Still, the redfish and shark fishing can be incredible and there's also good flounder and trout fishing. The tarpon are also making a strong comeback all along the gulf. Texas is awesome even if the fishing's a bit different. Get into bass fishing and head up to Sam Rayburn reservoir! :)

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Donald W. Clarke III
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
Folks in San Diego have a bit of a funny accent. :)

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

Texastuna

Texastuna
Feb 19, 2006
Corpus Cristi Texas
Name
Jesse baker
Boat
Dolphin Express
When you get here look me up.Im down in Corpus work on Dolphin Express let’s go tuna fishing. I live in Cali for 12 years still do a 15 day trip each year on RR.Great fishing both places.

Reactions: quitecavalier

The Great PF

Apr 24, 2012
Carrollton/TX/USA
Name
Roy Todd
Boat
None
I've fished West Coast and GOM. Very, very different. I was told before I ever went to San Diego that I'd be spoiled. The advice was correct. Although you can catch great fish either way, I'd like to offer this comparison: A boat targeting tuna out of Freeport or Port A is like camping, while Excel or Intrepid are like going to stay in a nice hotel....a hotel that you can coincidently fish from.

Lots of nice people and crew in both areas. Although Texas is home, if I had limited time and $, I'd prefer to take fewer trips, but longer trips out of San Diego.

To answer a question above, seas are generally calmer in the Pacific (maybe that's why it's called 'pacific'...), so more weather/sea risk in GOM--especially true out of Venice in the winter (wahoo season).

Reactions: SemperFishing

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
Lots of great inshore fishing in the Houston area and surrounding cities. offshore seems to be great from the reports I read but I personally have not experienced it yet, but those trips report yellowfin to 150lbs on 3 day long excursions. The weather is WAY WAY WAY different, get really intimate with your favorite weather sites, the spring and early summer can see drastic weather changes in 30 minutes and winds of 30-45 knots are not uncommon. Those winds really affect fishing of all types throughout the year.
One time I was fishing in calm weather day and night in Corpus and slept in my truck. I woke up and was sweat and fish slime covered and was spraying off my rods and lures at the local pier when a squall came through. That squall literally blasted me clean as a whistle in 10 minutes (water came in at nearly sideways). Then the squall was gone. Drove home to Austin fresh as a daisy!!!

Reactions: Whalebreath

ScaleyOne

" I never met a fish I didn't like"
Apr 23, 2015
Tustin
Name
Brent
Boat
Molly D
Very different. You're going from a place that has world class fishing for many species to a place where you'll get eaten alive by mosquitoes anytime after dusk. Still, the redfish and shark fishing can be incredible and there's also good flounder and trout fishing. The tarpon are also making a strong comeback all along the gulf. Texas is awesome even if the fishing's a bit different. Get into bass fishing and head up to Sam Rayburn reservoir! :)
You can catch bass in Houston area in every single ditch, creek, pond, lake, mudhole, you name it. I grew up in Houston and have caught bass in every sand pit around Houston. My favorite is still top water zara spook in the surf wade fishing for specks, redfish, and my favorite spanish mackeral. Those things are hellish fighters and actually very good eating if you take the time to clean them properly. Kind of like bonito here in Socal. You're making me miss those days for sure.

Reactions: 5-20