Sailing La Reina

Almost A Member
Apr 10, 2019
San Pedro, CA
Name
Chris
Boat
La Reina
Hopefully I’ll be headed to my first trip to Guadalupe island this December. I’m looking for a rod that I can cast bait with using 60-80 lb. Line. Any preferences?

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

Eric_LBZ

Almost A Member
  • Dec 12, 2014
    Long Beach
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Shogun
    UC CX80 Raptor and Calstar 800 XXH for 60# and UC GP Terminator 60-80 these are all 8' that will cast a bait. You may want to consider a Rainshadow RCJB 90XXH for 60-80 its a 7'6" blank. i will be taking all of these on an 8 day next month hoping to use them at Lupe.

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    I have the 8'0" GP Terminator it is very strong and light weight. Rod rating is 30 - 80# but I would not fish it at the light end of its' range. It absolutely casts a sardine a long ways. This rig was brilliant on YT on my recent 10-Day on the Intrepid. It is great with 60# and I think would fish a stealthy 80#. Here is a pic of the GP Terminator lifting 25# of lead.

PXL_20210817_180659273.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Juanba

CR
    Apr 11, 2014
    Pt Loma
    Name
    John John John
    Boat
    Kayak,Gregor, Panga, Long Range SD
    wahoo has a stiffer tip
    I fish it 40/50 jigging

Preditor has lighter tip
    can fish 40/50/60

Upvote 0

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
    Advertiser
    Feb 26, 2011
    Van Nuys, Ca USA
    bobsandsfishingtackle.com
    Name
    Jamie
    Boat
    #1 Tackle Shop
    Good evening SLR,

Excellent question about the differences between the two noted sticks. Please find below a link to the U.C. page for the Gusa Rods.. If you scroll down to the Blank section you will find the Butt Diameters to be very different between the two rods while the tip size remain the same. The weight is within .10 ounce so this lets you know, somewhat, that the material is used and located very differently between the two sticks. You can look at most all of the various rods in the U.C. lineup and look for those sorts of differences between similarly rated blanks/rods. Of course, there is nothing like pulling on a finished rod(s) when finding out what is best for you.

As far as other choices, the responses have all been great.. I have written previously about all the rods suggested but really have strong leanings, for the 60 -80 pound test work you are noting, towards the RGP or GP 80 Terminator. I also love the CX 80 Raptor for the task at hand. The CX 80 Raptor does not come in a factory wrap, requiring the user to have it custom wrapped, while the RGP Terminator comes with a choice of Blank or factory wrap with Alps Aluminum or Fuji Seat.. The Alps is a bit more money. There is nothing on the market like the RGP series.

There may be other choices for you depending on your fish fighting techniques, how hard and efficiently you pull, how much weight of the rig you feel you are willing to hold all day, etc. Lots of angler specific info goes into choosing the right rod at least in my opinion.

We carry them all if you are interested in coming in to compare. If you have any further questions you are welcome to PM me with your phone number and I will call you back or you can send me a PM and I will send you my number to chat. It would be my pleasure.

Have a great season,

Respectfully,

Jamie

Upvote 0

Sailing La Reina

Almost A Member
    Apr 10, 2019
    San Pedro, CA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    La Reina
    Good evening SLR,

Excellent question about the differences between the two noted sticks. Please find below a link to the U.C. page for the Gusa Rods.. If you scroll down to the Blank section you will find the Butt Diameters to be very different between the two rods while the tip size remain the same. The weight is within .10 ounce so this lets you know, somewhat, that the material is used and located very differently between the two sticks. You can look at most all of the various rods in the U.C. lineup and look for those sorts of differences between similarly rated blanks/rods. Of course, there is nothing like pulling on a finished rod(s) when finding out what is best for you.

As far as other choices, the responses have all been great.. I have written previously about all the rods suggested but really have strong leanings, for the 60 -80 pound test work you are noting, towards the RGP or GP 80 Terminator. I also love the CX 80 Raptor for the task at hand. The CX 80 Raptor does not come in a factory wrap, requiring the user to have it custom wrapped, while the RGP Terminator comes with a choice of Blank or factory wrap with Alps Aluminum or Fuji Seat.. The Alps is a bit more money. There is nothing on the market like the RGP series.

There may be other choices for you depending on your fish fighting techniques, how hard and efficiently you pull, how much weight of the rig you feel you are willing to hold all day, etc. Lots of angler specific info goes into choosing the right rod at least in my opinion.

We carry them all if you are interested in coming in to compare. If you have any further questions you are welcome to PM me with your phone number and I will call you back or you can send me a PM and I will send you my number to chat. It would be my pleasure.

Have a great season,

Respectfully,

Jamie
    Hi Jamie,
    Thank you for your helpful explanation of rod differences and possible options. I was fortunate enough to find a GP 80 Terminator in the aftermarket. I am hoping to put it to good use this December at Guadalupe. 😀

Upvote 0