Difference Between full braid to short fluoro and braid to mono to fluoro

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Thomas Lim, Jun 11, 2019.

1. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    Imo, Straight fluoro for big tunas

One less connection and costs more

Fluoro stretches when there is some length to it, like 8 feet plus. Like mono

2. AdamHJeep

AdamHJeep Member

Name:
    Adam Harris
    Boat:
    Fish
    Thats what I figured... so 25ft flouro wind ons should be a good split between a longer mono topshot to a fluoro piece compared to straight braid to fluoro. The loop to loop wind on connection is 100% too so just have 1 knot at the hook.

3. aguachico

aguachico I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Art
    Boat:
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    I set the mxl 15# on a 809xhj and the jx at 20# on an axis 8++ foot 30-80# just don't remember the model.

good luck

4. geebee

geebee My Member is Well-Known

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    that's the way to do it (I'm leaning towards at least 15 feet fluoro leader to braid for picky BF biters)

look into the San Diego jam knot (50lb and higher mono or fluorocarbon)

Palomar knot for 40# mono or fluoro and lower

1-1/0 circle hooks to start on live sardines (Owner Mutu if you want a brand)

may want to consider a lighter drag at strike (just back off a little) to get the tuna away from the boat (and other anglers's lines) - MXJ may be a little line challenged for that tactic - some of these 60-90# bluefin are real beasts (but 18lbs of drag on a Raptor 60# rig will be helpful when you settle down to fight the fish)

and then you have the possibility of 200-pound class on these San Diego tuna trips (so a heavier rig after that)

two weeks ago I had no problem hooking up to three 75# class BF on 50, 60, 60 fly line and sinker rigs rubber band method

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  5. stonefly

stonefly Member

Name:
    randy welsh
    Boat:
    16' mirrocraft
    I don't use mono for much of anything any more fresh or salt unless the tackle i need to use is a stiff graphite rod.

Leaving the advantages to that aside there are disadvantages to using a short leader of flouro to braid on a sport boat or panga which i only do 2 or 3 times a year anymore.

If your'e fishing live bait while the boat is on the hook and everyone is piled up on the stern your lively bait will try to knit a sweater with all of the baits hanging by their nose, not good.

When trolling the braid being much smaller diameter will cut the water better and tangle with the fat mono lines tracking a big curve as the boat steers.

Lively baits and direct contact in various water situations is an advantage but you have to play nice with others as well.