Diesel heat

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by Nineball, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Nineball

Nineball That's a keeper!

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
    I know it's been hashed out many times before but, well, it's winter anyways.

So, here you go.

From what I remember the espar is a very solid choice. Looks like a D4 unit with marine kit is upwards of $1500.

I noticed that Benjamin is running a webasto. Maybe some feedback and pics would help.

How much burnt diesel smell does either choice inflict upon passengers inside the cabin?

I understand that it will have to exhaust somewhere. Y'all know what boat I need to heat. I remember goat saying that it shall be plumbed such that it defrosts both sides...absolutely!

After that I may want a couple of junctions/flappers whereby I can direct the warm air over towards chilly passengers.

I think I know better than to ask if anyone has had good luck with the knockoff espar shit (china) you can get on amazon starting at $300. Even though I have read some good reviews this is going into my boat, so expense means nothing compared to piece of mind.

Can anybody point me in a solid direction for which to spend my money?

2. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    I’d say go read the numerous pages already discussed.... complete installs and best options... fuel tanks, models, controls.... this issues is done 10 times over....

Barracuda1 likes this.
  3. sgwill122

sgwill122 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Stephen
    Boat:
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
    Lots of threads for sure. I had a Wallace in my first boat and went Webasto Airtop2000 in the second to save a grand(I liked both). You can do Webasto under $1300 if you buy the truck kit off ebay and pick up the marine fittings locally (Sure Marine). You can save a few hundred more by buying from out of country, I bought from a US reseller as I wanted it within a week. I can share more details on the install if you go that route.

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/diesel-heater.646900/#post-4259959

4. ledbed6b

ledbed6b I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Eli
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    I've got an espar d2 in my boat, plenty of heat. I bought a regular kit, then bought the marine through Hull and muffler separately.

Look at www.heatso.com

You can buy the heater and marine parts you need for under $1100

Also they had cheap 2 day shipping from the UK

5. Reel Hooker

Reel Hooker I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Benjamin
    Boat:
    Parker 2320 Long Cabin 'REEL HOOKER'
    I have webasto, its awesome

6. Soremouth'r

Soremouth'r Member

Name:
    Blake
    Boat:
    26' Duckworth Offshore "Bad Influence"
  7. The Peddler

The Peddler You should have been here yesterday!

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
    I have a Webasto AirTop2000 as well. I’m not overwhelmingly happy with it, but it works. Absolutely no diesel smell inside the cabin.

It doesn’t seem to push much air. Doesn’t do a lot to defrost the windshield. I may have too many vents, but even blocking some of them doesn’t seem to change much.

8. Nineball

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
    I took your advice Eli, picked up the D2 from heatso. Went overboard and just added the marine kit with it just because it seems like the right choice. Nice insulated exhaust and a super quiet muffler.

$24 in shipping and all processed super fast/easy using amazon account. Just under $1400 all said and done.

Thanks for the info fellas. I will post up some pics during the install.

A-K, TwoTapPat and ledbed6b like this.
  9. escapee

escapee Newbie

Name:
    barak rabel
    Boat:
    23 north river seahawk "hattie nicole "
    Following closely, I also need heat, but I have a rigid frame canvas top. Which I have heard differing opinions on for heat. Not really sure I want to spend $3500 on a big webasto furnace, like some have recommended.
    By the way, for some reason I have a hard time finding anything relevant when I try to research older topics on this site. I have looked. My phone doesn't like this site I guess

10. Barracuda1

Barracuda1 Master of None

Name:
    Fred
    Boat:
    Defiance 220 EX (BARRACUDA II)
    Buddy heater and done

11. Nineball

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
    I Hear ya.

It's imposed by some that there are all of these previous threads that make this choice almost inconvenient to reply again lol.

It's far from true. Threads in the last 6 years have done basic discussions but few (if any) show what the end result looks like.

Basic surface temps before and after would be nice…

There are no good youtube vids either.

I will be your huckleberry!

12. TwoTapPat

TwoTapPat Oh ya that's jazzy

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    High on the Goat
    @ledbed6b is very smart man. Kinda like the Rainman.

13. Socket985

Socket985 Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    21 ft ThunderJet OB/OS

Same boat, For the couple times a year I need it. I've used a Mr. Big Buddy. The entire setup with tank, hose & heater was just under 200 bucks.

BugeaterInWa likes this.
  14. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    The mr buddy can work in some situations but one of the by products of combustion of propane is water. Ventilation is needed to combat this and can be a problem on cool moist morning, especially on the windshield. A ducted diesel furnace with a heat exchanger is tits. All the byproducts of combustion and the diesel smell is vented outside while the warm dry heated air is ducted to the windshield and other areas in the cabin. I have had both Wabasto and Espar and they both make great products. Most people I know that have Wallace have had some issues.

15. kenzmad

kenzmad I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jamie
    Boat:
    nwj 218 lightning
    Disable the tip over feature and it is good to go!

16. Barracuda1

Barracuda1 Master of None

Name:
    Fred
    Boat:
    Defiance 220 EX (BARRACUDA II)
    Agreed! 100% I'm not sure I would install one on a 20' soft top boat is all. When I had my NR I was happy just to get the chill off on those cold black mouth mornings. Buddy worked well in that application for a fraction of one of these units. I'm really interested as well in the installation portion. I hope we get a step by step build on this thread. It would be cool to see the process.

Wild Bill likes this.
  17. hawksfan75

hawksfan75 More questions than answers

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Hydra Sports 2200 DC
    Hand warmers and some whiskey in the coffee…

18. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    I had an infrared propane heater tucked back in the center walkthrough area to bow, under the windshield of my old Almar sled. That thing worked great even with the top down. Once the windshield and dash heated up, heat just rolled back to the seated occupants. We made a drip tray and heated and grilled all kinds of food with it on cold steelhead days.

19. Nineball

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
    Some assembly required
    207D7C04-57D2-492D-AD98-0838DA8E71BA.jpeg

Working on the layout now. Since the fuel fill and vent are on the port I'm going STBD.

I believe I want the exhaust above the rubrail even though it is a walk-around. Might warm your boot on the way by if your not careful. This is the general location whether it is above or below the rubrail. Is there any other reason why I might consider below the rubrail?

It might ensure that there is no smell of burnt fuel back into the cabin if it were below, but it might pose a handful of other problems dockside too i think. I won't be drilling anything just yet. Thought I would put this out for suggestions/comment.

9F968EC4-9A54-4AF1-8C60-7A180289D169.jpeg

6CC2B127-FA5E-4E45-B7D3-33A4571A644F.jpeg

Odin7 likes this.
  20. “biteme”

“biteme” Killin kings

Name:
    Brian B
    Boat:
    26 osprey
    Dont be afraid of mounting it below the rub rail, either way though make sure there is a bend up somewhere before the pipe gets to the furnace, even if it bends back down it prevents water intrusion. I mounted mine under a seat and everything is hidden, drill the hole where it works for you, I wouldnt forsee ever getting fumes in the cabin or burning a calf where mine is. Putting it below the rub rail will give you more room to hide the exhaust piping out of the way...... maybe?? I was skeptical about the little muffler but it makes a huge difference. Also if you are mounting the fuel tank like i did under one of the steps behind the cabin put the fuel pump out there too, if not be sure to keep it in a compartment or someplace noise insulated, the clicking gets old while going to sleep, mine is under a seat in a compartment and i can still hear it while on the hook or at the dock, not super loud just noticeable.

319AC59A-4EA2-47C7-BED6-86D7F2AA60B0.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018